Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1051 Post by Charlie Carnes » March 4th, 2020, 8:44 am

Some really great ones lately:

NV Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Tradition: This is such a great wine. We had been drinking a bunch of Rosé Champagne and this Tradition followed the pinks and delivered the goods. This had a light muted gold color. There was apple skin, dried peach, minerals perceptions galore, with a pretty "white"earth trait that was lovely. It was rich and generous, and absolutely charming. It was hard not to chug this wine. Disgorged 11/2017

1994 Laurent Perrier Cuvee Alexandra: Oh my! This was terrific! I pop and poured this into Grassl Liberté. It had a gorgeous salmon pink/dull copper orange glow. It was nearly limpid, in fact, when I first poured it seemed perfectly clear, until there was enough in the glass for the color to appear. The fruit was rich and creamy with very subtle hints of wild strawberry and red forest berries, very subtle. The wine was creamy, with a rich taste, but nicely packaged and braced with mineral, with a long, taut finish. Each sip compelled me to take another, until, alas, it was all gone. 100% Grand Cru: Ambonnay, Bouzy, Verzenay for the Pinot Noir and Avize, Cramant and Le Mesnil-sur-Oger for the Chardonnay. I had this with Astrea Schrenckii caviar, and boy did it match up nice!

1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne La Collection Crayères Blanc des Millénaires: This was awesome. This 25 year old had a pretty, bright, limpid Canary yellow hue that seemed electric. The wine has perfect BdB profile, it was rich and creamy, and hinting ever so slightly at nuttiness. The wine was still lively, creamy, rich and inviting, with plenty of stone fruit and lemon curd perceptions, and hard minerals. I loved the texture and inviting swallow this wine offered!

NV Moncuit Rosé: I thought these were great. I drank two bottles a week apart. I loved the fresh tart wild strawberry, and creamy richness of this wine. As it stayed opened up in the glass it leveled out and showed a lovely mineral trait along with some red clay/iron dust. Thie was succulent, fresh, and quite delicious. This last bottle was drunk at the KOA campground in Savannah GA. I even popped the cork loudly to entice a conversation from my fellow campers... to no avail! Drunk out of Grassl Liberté.

NV Saves Rosé: This followed the Moncuit Rosé and was slightly better. Both are terrific. This has red fruit, strawberry, but it is more subtle, with some apple skin. It is crispy and tart, less creamy, and chock full of mineral perception. The swallow, like Moncuit is full and inviting, playful, and just begs to be drunk. Disgorged 5/15/2017
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1052 Post by Jim Stewart » March 4th, 2020, 8:54 am

Drinking Champagne in a Grassl Liberté at the KOA campground in Savannah GA and letting the cork pop (and fly I presume). . .

My compliments, sir!
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1053 Post by Charlie Carnes » March 4th, 2020, 10:12 am

Thank you Jim! Had the roles been reversed, I would have come rushing to my fellow campers before the cork hit the ground!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1054 Post by Warren Taranow » March 4th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Half bottle of MV Krug with Fu's Schrenckii caviar (hey, it's Wednesday and it's been a rough half week). I thought this was one of the newer releases, but there's no ID, and the cork code is V642. I think that's a base vintage of 1999. This must be at its apogee; I can't fathom it being better. A breathtaking champagne, perhaps my WOTY.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1055 Post by Geoff F. » March 4th, 2020, 9:38 pm

J. Rock wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 11:47 am
Subu Ramachandran wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:55 am
Geoff F. wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 12:03 am

The 99 Sensation is currently on offer from SommSelect if you need more.
Vincent Couche is an incredible producer. I had the ADN it was sensational.
We tasted the 1999 Sensation, which really "wowed" me, and the NV Elegance which I also thought was great, especially for the price. They didn't have the ADN at the tasting I was at, but between the wines we did taste and your great review, I'll need to see some out in the future.
Finally popped a bottle of the 1999 Sensation at a dinner party this weekend. Super interesting and delicious - you can really taste that it was on the lees for 19 years. I'm saving my next bottle to pair with uni, as I think that will go well. Wish I could easily get more.
F r a n z

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1056 Post by Warren Taranow » March 5th, 2020, 5:28 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 9:11 pm
Half bottle of MV Krug with Fu's Schrenckii caviar (hey, it's Wednesday and it's been a rough half week). I thought this was one of the newer releases, but there's no ID, and the cork code is V642. I think that's a base vintage of 1999. This must be at its apogee; I can't fathom it being better. A breathtaking champagne, perhaps my WOTY.
I've never replied to my own comment, but RolfT on CT mentioned this was likely the '02 based Grande Cuvée rather the '99. I wasn't taking into account the serial releases based on bottle size.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1057 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 5th, 2020, 7:25 am

'66 Dom Perignon - a friend and I split a large parcel of this 15 or so years ago and every bottle has been in at least good shape. Foil capsule but no late-release markings, so impossible to know exactly when this was disgorged but probably during the '80's. Extremely effervescent for a Champagne of its age. Color is more representative. Intense aromas. Yellow fruit, honey, hazelnuts and almonds. Creamy texture. Nearly perfect. Killer Minus.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1058 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 6th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Had a spectacular lunch at Marea yesterday with some good friends. Four great flights of wine but since I'm posting in a Champagne thread, I'll only post about the Krug.

'96 Krug Mag - our reception and first Champagne in the opening flight. Cork was pulled about 30 minutes prior to serving, Was vibrant and powerful on first taste. A touch of oxidative notes but not as much "Krug" as usual. Plenty of fruit. That said, it didn't evolve over the next couple of hours as I would have liked. Didn't slide down a slope, but basically stayed unchanged over six hours. Excellent Plus

'82 Krug - more advanced than it should have been but still quite enjoyable. Less fruit than it should, it was dominated by tertiary Champagne flavors. It hit the wall around hour three. Excellent minus

'79 Krug - great effervescence for its age. A wealth of yellow fruit and the signature green apples. Mature flavors of hazelnuts, caramel and marzipan. As good in hour five as it was during hour one. Staggering

'73 Krug Collection - slightly more youthful than the previous Champagne. Doesn't have the complexity of the '79 original disgorgement, but this is still a terrific glass or two or three of Champagne. Staggering Minus
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

J. Rock

#1059 Post by J. Rock » March 6th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Geoff F. wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 9:38 pm
J. Rock wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 11:47 am
Subu Ramachandran wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:55 am

Vincent Couche is an incredible producer. I had the ADN it was sensational.
We tasted the 1999 Sensation, which really "wowed" me, and the NV Elegance which I also thought was great, especially for the price. They didn't have the ADN at the tasting I was at, but between the wines we did taste and your great review, I'll need to see some out in the future.
Finally popped a bottle of the 1999 Sensation at a dinner party this weekend. Super interesting and delicious - you can really taste that it was on the lees for 19 years. I'm saving my next bottle to pair with uni, as I think that will go well. Wish I could easily get more.
I was waiting to see what you thought of it and I'm very glad you liked it! I can see it being a bit polarizing, but I absolutely love it.
J o r d a n

Yao C

#1060 Post by Yao C » March 6th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 5:28 am
Warren Taranow wrote:
I've never replied to my own comment, but RolfT on CT mentioned this was likely the '02 based Grande Cuvée rather the '99. I wasn't taking into account the serial releases based on bottle size.
Warren do you know if there's any kind of guide out there to convert Krug cork codes to base vintage years? Or do you have a rough idea? Would appreciate any info you could share [cheers.gif]
C h 0 o n 6

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1061 Post by Frank Murray III » March 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm

• NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (3/6/2020)
    Base of 2014, disgorged 09/2018, using biodynamic approach. 35% Chard, 65% Pinot Noir. 40% done in wood. Opened this last night, it showed really well so we decided to bring home the few ounces remaining and stopper the wine, which has maintained enough of the CO2, too. This is lightly peach colored with a salmon tone. It drinks with a leaner feel than past bottlings, with a precision and balance that is energizing. Crisp lime, green apple, strawberry and a clean salinity that drives through the finish, along with a cool yeasty note. This particular disgorgement is the most energized I recall of the Godme Rose NVs, and it reminds a bit of the Marguet Shaman Rose, in that same style. Delicious.
Posted from CellarTracker
20200306_174926.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1062 Post by Brad Baker » March 6th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
Warren Taranow wrote:

Cheers,
Warren
Warren, you probably have a 2001 based half bottle with a very slight possibility that it was the end of the 2000 based halves. If it was a full bottle it would likely be a 2000 based with a slight chance of it being a 1999 base.

I had a bottle of the 2001 based Grande Cuvee a couple weeks ago and it was really, really drinking well. Showed better than the 1998 Krug served alongside it.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1063 Post by Warren Taranow » March 6th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 6:19 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
Warren Taranow wrote:

Cheers,
Warren
Warren, you probably have a 2001 based half bottle with a very slight possibility that it was the end of the 2000 based halves. If it was a full bottle it would likely be a 2000 based with a slight chance of it being a 1999 base.

I had a bottle of the 2001 based Grande Cuvee a couple weeks ago and it was really, really drinking well. Showed better than the 1998 Krug served alongside it.
Thanks Brad. So, disgorgement at five or six years for half bottles, seven for 750’s?
Thanks again
Warren

CT - WST

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1064 Post by Brad Baker » March 6th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Warren,

It changes over time based on supply and demand. Back in that timeframe, it was five to six for halves and six to seven for full bottles.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1065 Post by Warren Taranow » March 6th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Yao C wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
Warren Taranow wrote:
Warren do you know if there's any kind of guide out there to convert Krug cork codes to base vintage years? Or do you have a rough idea? Would appreciate any info you could share [cheers.gif]
Yao,
This website has some useful information, but listed the disgorgement code on the cork, but not the time until disgorgement.

https://winetomas.wordpress.com/2012/11 ... nde-cuvee/

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1066 Post by Warren Taranow » March 6th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 8:37 pm
Warren,

It changes over time based on supply and demand. Back in that timeframe, it was five to six for halves and six to seven for full bottles.
Always great information! champagne.gif

CT - WST

bob parsons alberta

#1067 Post by bob parsons alberta » March 6th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Terrific tasting downtown recently..stores 15th anniversary
1999 Champagne Ployez-Jacquemart Brut Liesse d`Harbonville......aged minimum 10 yrs. 70% chardonnay plus PN and 15% PM. Low sugar, pear and apple on the nose. Chalky texture with crisp minerality. Very appealing, $225 Cdn

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1068 Post by Brad Baker » March 7th, 2020, 8:08 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 8:57 pm
Brad Baker wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 8:37 pm
Warren,

Always great information! champagne.gif
Warren,

I should add that this timeframe does seem to be Krug's preference for aging prior to disgorgement, but, again, supply and demand can mess things up. This can especially be true with half bottles and magnums. For normal bottles, the Grande Cuvee based on vintages from the 1990's through 2005 follwed the disgorgement pattern of six to seven years after the year of harvest, but the 2006-2009 based versions were often six to eight or seven to eight based on supply and demand.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Sean S y d n e y

#1069 Post by Sean S y d n e y » March 7th, 2020, 6:27 pm

2006 Paul Bara Comtesse Marie de France -

Surprisingly fresh for 100% Pinot Noir - this has a lovely creamy texture; savoury, with caramel, nuts, lemon curd, yellow apple, and white flowers without a particularly yeasty/lees-y bent; surprising considering it spent 12 years before being disgorged. Restrained acidity, not excessively mineral but not heavy either. Very enjoyable, and clearly the product of good material and skilled winemaking.

Al Osterheld

#1070 Post by Al Osterheld » March 7th, 2020, 7:17 pm

I had a 2005 Paul Bara Comtesse at dim sum on New Year's Day that I thought was pretty good. Not exactly a note-taking event, though.

-Al

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1071 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 8th, 2020, 7:53 am

First bottle from a case of NV Lilbert-Fils Champagne Grand Cru Perle Blanc de Blancs purchased in France. Disgorged fall of 2018, containing 45% each of 2015 and 2014 and 10% reserve wine. This was an oddball to me. The nose was dominated by red fruits and confectionery elements - I would not have guessed blanc de blancs had it been blind. The palate was somewhat coarse in texture and sloppy, though slurpable, with a short finish which improved a little with air. Given the low pressure technique, I did expect a different mouthfeel, to be fair, but not coarse. I found the mid-palate very rich and enjoyable, with a nice depth. Jonathan found a sense of sweetness about it overall, almost as if fake sugar had been added, which was at odds with the 5 g/L dosage on the label. I was really looking forward to this wine, which came highly recommended, and should have been right up our alley. Maybe it's too young? Could it still be boat goofy after travel? We took delivery in January.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1072 Post by Steve Nordhoff » March 8th, 2020, 8:00 am

04 and 09 Vilmart Grand Cellier Rubis side by side.

This has always been a great Vilmart wine and a significant step up from the NV.

The terroir and vintage shined through for both of these. The 2009 was rich and round, with deep strawberry, cherry and raspberry, a Pinot lovers bubbly for sure.

The 2004 was brighter, with notably more acid and backbone that evolved throughout the evening. A bit of bright orange here too.

Both were excellent and the table was split on the favorite.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Yao C

#1073 Post by Yao C » March 8th, 2020, 8:53 am

NV Jean Vesselle Rose Saignee: a present from the nice folks at Ambonnay (it's a champagne bar in Portland); vinous, substantial, and weighty with a nice floral line; draws energy from its acidic cut; if I'm honest not the last word in complexity or intensity of finish, but still a highly delicious aperitif; decent plus
Warren Taranow wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 8:41 pm
Yao,
This website has some useful information, but listed the disgorgement code on the cork, but not the time until disgorgement.

https://winetomas.wordpress.com/2012/11 ... nde-cuvee/
Thank you very much!
C h 0 o n 6

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1074 Post by Frank Murray III » March 8th, 2020, 9:42 am

• 2013 Moussé Fils Champagne Terre d'illite Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne (3/7/2020)
    My first go with the 2013, as these arrived from Europe a few months ago. 95% Pinot Meunier and 5% Pinot Noir, farmed clean on the green clay, with 5 g/l dosage. This bottle seems a little oxidative to me, with a touch of bruised apple to the aroma, joined by a nice white floral note and a touch of white pepper. Good tension in the wine, with a yellow apple, berry and a minerally, zesty finish. I like the length on this, as well as the juicy, minerally texture.

Stevo, you gave me a bottle of the 09 Vilmart GCR a few years ago. I remember drinking that wine and enjoying it, too.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Corey Porche

#1075 Post by Corey Porche » March 8th, 2020, 1:43 pm

1996 Duval Leroy Femme de Champagne

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1076 Post by Frank Murray III » March 13th, 2020, 11:53 am

• 2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Les Bermonts - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (3/12/2020)
    Opened last night. Finishing tonight. 100% Chard, zero dosage and zero sulfur. Disgorged 02/2019. Hint of wood on the nose, with lots of lemon throughout the palate, along with some light brushing of yellow apple, lime and plenty of mineral/saline. As this warms, it adds some texture to the lemon, filling it in. Based on drinking the 2014 Le Parc late last year, which is also 100% Chard, I have to say I prefer the Les Bermonts at this stage. It's just more approachable than Le Parc at this stage. And after trying now all the single plot Marguet, my conclusion is that these wines are more razored than the 2012s, the acidity and structure on the 2014s more intense. I still think Les Crayeres is the start of the vintage but will retaste through all of the range as the months go by in 2020 and see if my perception changes.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1077 Post by Frank Murray III » March 14th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Waiting for my wife to bring home some Indian food, as we support our local restaurant with some take-out.
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Premier Cru Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (3/14/2020)
    Disgorged July 2019. Very little label information but from what I can glean from the Skurnik site, this is from 40 year old Pinot Meunier vines. While it is labeled as Brut, it drinks more like EB to me. Smells like crushed rock and flowers, a very distinct, focused aromatic for sure. The palate is not lean, more generous in tone with grapefruit, ginger, apple and beam of acidity that buffers the finish, with the same grapefruit quality. Been a while since I have opened some Egly-Ouriet, and this bottle is enjoyable, with an imprint of soil and acidity that is hard to miss. Of note, this drank better with just a light chill, as the wine really seemed to unwrap and express itself best.
20200314_164302.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1078 Post by Brent S » March 14th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Roses de Jeanne Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine-this is super lean with a laser like focus and and an incredibly clean finish. Smells like pinot!
Brent S

melvinyeo

#1079 Post by melvinyeo » March 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm

2007 Jeaunaux-Robin Champagne Les Grands Nots
Took a flyer on this. Given the age expected a little more development but this was relatively simple. With the red fruits and astringency I think this is a Pinot heavy champagne. Bubbles were bright and lively but a bit overwhelming at the start. Well-made but it’s the lean and yeasty style like Agrapart that I don’t quite love.

NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé
Disgorged May 2016. Fun wine, good balance of both crunch and cream. This opened up to something really fresh and juicy, the still red wine added really helps to give some structure to the wine. Great poise.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1080 Post by Frank Murray III » March 20th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Ah ha, found a gem tonight. I've bought a good mix of the Miniere champagnes, even visited the winery back in 2018. Frederic Miniere was a great guy, and while we had to cancel our visit to see him in May because of The 19 outbreak, it was a great surprise tonight when the wine below was able to blossom in the glass and really turn into something special. Wow, one of those moments in wine where I have to stop and pause, kind of like the 2017 Rivers-Marie Platt did for me early last year. Bravo to Frederic Miniere, it's going on my 2020 WOTY list.
  • 2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut - France, Champagne (3/20/2020)
    First of two. Of all the Miniere I have opened to date, this is the best cuvee Frederic has made. 80% 2012, 20% 2011. Disgorged 04/2019, with 5 g/l dosage. Its nearly equal parts PN, PM and Chard, too. I opened this about an hour ago and it started off slow, actually seemed lean on complexity. But, when I let this air, the wine really blossomed into something unique and special. What is most attractive to me is the dried lime component that this shows, as it infuses the wine, mainly the palate. Some wood aromas, with a similar dried red fruit quality and a distinct, rocky texture into the finish. This is flat out excellent and with the way this is built, I'd bet these age really well. Outstanding and going onto my 2020 WOTY list.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1081 Post by AD Northup » March 20th, 2020, 7:53 pm

06 CdC...my first (late to the party) but luckily lived up to the hype
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1082 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 28th, 2020, 12:45 pm

NV Olivier Horiot Champagne Métisse Noirs et Blancs Extra Brut
Purchased in France, in cellar for ~1 month before opening. We were introduced to this champagne by a good sommelier friend in Spain, having never heard of Horiot before that. Liked it enough to make a purchase and very glad to have done so! Rich, deep and complex nose, un peu sauvage, but nicely put together with some red fruit character in evidence. Well delineated and lively palate, with a slight perception of sweetness causing raised eyebrows knowing this is zero dosage (called extra brut in CT, but the back label say non-dosé). May 2018 disgorgement, 2015 base with 15-20% reserve wine. 80% pinot noir, 20% pinot blanc. Perhaps the latter gives that sense of sweetness? In any case, it made the wine a very good match for friend chicken with a drizzle of honey. Very enjoyable bottle, serious but not intellectual. I think it will benefit from a few years as well. Excellent quality for the price.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1083 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 28th, 2020, 1:49 pm

9B291AC2-85B7-4826-9000-9F4EB6A91064.jpeg

This was so delicious. Everything in the right place. Bright nose, lemon curd and oil, just a hint of leesiness. Fresh bright yellow fruit, great mineral acidity. QPR on this is through the roof.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Craig Williams

#1084 Post by Craig Williams » March 28th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Egly-Ouriet Viellissement Prolonge disgorged July 2019.... layered, savory and long.
ITB

Yao C

#1085 Post by Yao C » March 28th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Took a flyer on a 2000 Bernard Morey Embrazees that was not merely premoxed, but flamboyantly so. The brownest, foulest thing I've ever put into a wine glass. Opened some champagne to make up for it, and boy did it ever:

1996 Pierre Gimonnet Gastronome Blanc de Blancs
Hits you from the get go with lovely ripe lemony fruit, even a touch of the exotic; then yeast and some signs of maturity - honey and soy - that become more prominent with air; then you discover a real underlying raciness that pulls this profusion of scent back into line, just in time for a huge chalky monolith to crash into your palate, obliterating everything in its path with thick, even drying, clouds of chalk on the massive, lengthy finish; it is all a bit dramatic in that the different tastes don't so much transition from one to another as steamroll, but this is highly entertaining; did not expect quite this much interest in a lower-end cuvee of Gimonnet's; very good minus
C h 0 o n 6

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1086 Post by Jayson Cohen » March 28th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Yao C wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Took a flyer on a 2000 Bernard Morey Embrazees that was not merely premoxed, but flamboyantly so. The brownest, foulest thing I've ever put into a wine glass. Opened some champagne to make up for it, and boy did it ever:

1996 Pierre Gimonnet Gastronome Blanc de Blancs
Hits you from the get go with lovely ripe lemony fruit, even a touch of the exotic; then yeast and some signs of maturity - honey and soy - that become more prominent with air; then you discover a real underlying raciness that pulls this profusion of scent back into line, just in time for a huge chalky monolith to crash into your palate, obliterating everything in its path with thick, even drying, clouds of chalk on the massive, lengthy finish; it is all a bit dramatic in that the different tastes don't so much transition from one to another as steamroll, but this is highly entertaining; did not expect quite this much interest in a lower-end cuvee of Gimonnet's; very good minus
I opened the Special Club (bought on release) a few years ago for a 1996 horizontal in 2016. It had held up and was very good (medium body and honey-lemony) but not at the level of the better wines on the table.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1087 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 29th, 2020, 7:23 am

Billecart-Salmon Brut Reserve. A very nice wine for Champagne Sunday in bed.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1088 Post by AD Northup » March 29th, 2020, 6:19 pm

2014 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Special Club Millesime de Collection. Purchased for about $60 from Lopa, really delicious.

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1089 Post by Frank Murray III » March 30th, 2020, 8:34 am

• 2015 Ruppert-Leroy Champagne Fosse-Grely - France, Champagne (3/29/2020)
    I've sat on these bottles of since December 2018 so figured tonight I would open one and check this out. Farmed biodynamic in the south (in Essoyes, which is not far from Chablis, so think far south of Champagne). Zero dosage, no added sulfur, with 50% each Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from a plot grown on Kimmeridgian chalk. Texturally this sits really well for me, with a more generous yellow apple core, with pear, cherry, lemon and brisk minerally finish. There is energy here, intensity and yet fruit and flavor. Delicious.
20200329_173142.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

A. Mishaan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1090 Post by A. Mishaan » March 30th, 2020, 10:05 am

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-29 at 6.19.35 PM.jpeg
NV Laherte Frères Champagne Rosé de Meunier Extra Brut
  • A fair bit of reduction off the bat, that continued with each pour. Pretty nice, red-fruited once it blew off, but the reductive nose was kind of distracting and took away from the enjoyment for me.
    I have a few more, so I'll let them sit for a while.
Al Mishaan
NY, NY

Dennis Atick

#1091 Post by Dennis Atick » March 30th, 2020, 10:35 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Nice discovery here, and their located in the Aube, too. Beautiful wine for $45.
  • 2013 Rémi Leroy Champagne Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (11/15/2019)
    Disgorged Oct 2018, 2 g/l, 100% Chard. Not sure how I let these sit in my cellar for nearly a year without trying it. Some brioche on the nose, with a lively, lemon driven core that flashes some apple, chalk (it's grown in the south, not far from Chablis with similar soil) and a creamy profile as it warms up. What grabs me about this wine is the energy and cut, the intensity. What a find. Delicious.
Popped another bottle last night. Frank's note is still spot on. This is such a great wine! Oh, to find more. champagne.gif

@decaturwinedude

m. ristev

#1092 Post by m. ristev » March 30th, 2020, 10:43 am

the les beaudiers made by laherte is one of the most unique rose champagne out there, definitely give it a try. last time i had the regular rose de meunier it was also showing quite reduced, closed and a bit woody. probably just too young...can't remember the base or disgorgment but it was a just released bottle.

i have only tried the blanc des noirs from remi leroy but i can't say i was a fan. way too much apple cider.
mајкл

Yao C

#1093 Post by Yao C » March 30th, 2020, 1:03 pm

AD Northup wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 6:19 pm
2014 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Special Club Millesime de Collection. Purchased for about $60 from Lopa, really delicious.
Nice, I got a couple too. Was it ready to go pnp or did it need air?
C h 0 o n 6

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1094 Post by Frank Murray III » March 30th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Dennis, that BdB that Remi Leroy made is excellent. I was able to find one more bottle after I opened the one for that TN, and since then I cannot find the wine anywhere. If you locate more, holler!

M., the Laherte Freres Les Beaudiers....we opened one several weeks ago, and it is good. Tangy and racy with red fruits.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1095 Post by AD Northup » March 30th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Yao C wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 1:03 pm
AD Northup wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 6:19 pm
Nice, I got a couple too. Was it ready to go pnp or did it need air?
It was pretty good PnP but definitely better an hour or so later. I’m sure some time would benefit the bottle, but I liked it enough I’ll probably get some more for near term drinking. Just wish the bottles were a more convenient shape.

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

mdavis

#1096 Post by mdavis » March 30th, 2020, 1:18 pm

2008 (majority) Selosse V.O. In a good spot.
IMG_7322.jpg
-mark
m=m.a.r.k

m. ristev

#1097 Post by m. ristev » March 30th, 2020, 2:14 pm

caves legrand had some of the sharpest selosse pricing in paris for a while. i have drank countless bottles of v.o. there! did you check that bottle in your luggage?
mајкл

melvinyeo

#1098 Post by melvinyeo » March 30th, 2020, 9:14 pm

NV Louis Roederer Champagne Brut Premier
Consistency can be a double edged sword - this typifies champagne but it’s a little nondescript. Very good for the price though.

NV Guy Charlemagne Champagne Brut Réserve
50-50 PN - Chard, comes from Côté de Sezanne rather than Côté des Blancs like their other champagnes. This benefitted from air, gradually came into balance but a little short on the finish. Apple brioche but not too yeasty, good crisp acidity.

NV Charles Dufour & Françoise Martinot Champagne Bistrøtage B.13
Popped and poured. Fell over after a while but recovered, natural wines eh. Not sure if it is supposed to taste like sherry but very oxidative in style. I liked the vinous element of this.

mdavis

#1099 Post by mdavis » March 31st, 2020, 5:49 pm

m. ristev wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 2:14 pm
caves legrand had some of the sharpest selosse pricing in paris for a while. i have drank countless bottles of v.o. there! did you check that bottle in your luggage?
No, purchased here in the USA a while back. -mark
m=m.a.r.k

m. ristev

#1100 Post by m. ristev » March 31st, 2020, 5:54 pm

whoever you bought it from purchased it at caves legrand. all the big allocations get their name printed by the disgorgement.
mајкл

Return to “Wine Talk”