Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#2601 Post by Jon Lawrence »

As someone who drinks a lot Champagne, I am not a fan of gift boxes for many reasons including the following: 1) For the most part I am not gifting, I am drinking it. 2) They are environmentally unfriendly. I had 3 gift boxes last week to try to figure out what is recyclable and what is garbage. Some pieces feel like vinyl, some velour, some plastic, and very little actual felt like cardboard. 3) They take up a lot of space. A 3-pack OCB, GB of Rare takes up almost as much space as a 6-pack OCB, non-GB of Cristal. I have limited storage space that I don't like wasting on GB's. 4) A lot of these GB's are PITA to open. The DP ones where you have to pull the tabs on the bottom had me stumped for a few minutes. I felt like I was trying to cross a bridge to get a bottle of Champagne but I had to answer a riddle before the Champagne troll would let me cross. I have come very close to dropping bottles where the bottles are friction fit and you need to exert pressure to get the bottle out. From an auction point of view, what matters most for me is some sort of original packaging which usually means OCB. The exception would be single bottle lots, where I would rather buy a single bottle in a GB than a single bottle without any packaging. 5) They clearly add some cost to the price of the Champagne because they take more labor to package, take up more space in a shipping container, require more space to store, etc. That is added cost but not added value for me. 6) Most GB's are boring. I think Rare probably has one of the more colorful ones, but even that is just repeating the "tiara" that is on the label.

The irony of gift boxes is that I think they were created to increase sales, but I think they actually hurt sales by making Champagne appear to be something that requires a special occasion to consume because it comes in this fancy packaging. My last trip to Champagne was in 2018 and I met up with Fred Panaoitis for coffee after our tour at Ruinart. I couldn't help myself and I gave him my thoughts on GB's. Fred is a very environmentally conscious person and he told me that they had something in the works that will be coming out very soon. "Just wait" he said. I now know he was referring to the second skin packaging which is 100% recyclable and reduces carbon footprint by 60%. I for one think this is a step in the right direction.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2602 Post by Frank Murray III »

Jon, if I recall properly, a few years ago I remember drinking some Special Club (the weapon bottles as I call them, required by the Special Club. I think the bottles may have been Gimmonet), and those came in gift boxes. I can't remember if the box had a see through window on it but they were individually packed, in the boxes with the flaps. It was bad enough with the bottle shape and the weight but then with the box, I was wondering what's the point to all this packaging. I won't buy those again, nor anything Special Club. I have about 1/2 dozen SC bottles left and then I am clear of those from the cellar for good.

The counter to this is Benoit Dehu. If my old memory will serve me, not only does he source his wood from a nearby forest (near/in Fossoy), but he also seeks the rest of the packaging inputs from as close to the winery as he can get it. I appreciate this kind of thoughtfulness.
My best wines for 2022:
2013 Vilmart Grand Cellier d'Or

My best wines for 2021:
2012 Minière F & R Influence Brut
2006 Vilmart & Cie Coeur de Cuvée
N.V. Laherte Frères Rosé de Meunier Extra Brut (QPR)
2016 Laherte Frères BdB Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2012 Jacques Lassaigne Clos Sainte Sophie

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2603 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Jon Lawrence wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:27 am As someone who drinks a lot Champagne, I am not a fan of gift boxes for many reasons including the following: 1) For the most part I am not gifting, I am drinking it. 2) They are environmentally unfriendly. I had 3 gift boxes last week to try to figure out what is recyclable and what is garbage. Some pieces feel like vinyl, some velour, some plastic, and very little actual felt like cardboard. 3) They take up a lot of space. A 3-pack OCB, GB of Rare takes up almost as much space as a 6-pack OCB, non-GB of Cristal. I have limited storage space that I don't like wasting on GB's. 4) A lot of these GB's are PITA to open. The DP ones where you have to pull the tabs on the bottom had me stumped for a few minutes. I felt like I was trying to cross a bridge to get a bottle of Champagne but I had to answer a riddle before the Champagne troll would let me cross. I have come very close to dropping bottles where the bottles are friction fit and you need to exert pressure to get the bottle out. From an auction point of view, what matters most for me is some sort of original packaging which usually means OCB. The exception would be single bottle lots, where I would rather buy a single bottle in a GB than a single bottle without any packaging. 5) They clearly add some cost to the price of the Champagne because they take more labor to package, take up more space in a shipping container, require more space to store, etc. That is added cost but not added value for me. 6) Most GB's are boring. I think Rare probably has one of the more colorful ones, but even that is just repeating the "tiara" that is on the label.

The irony of gift boxes is that I think they were created to increase sales, but I think they actually hurt sales by making Champagne appear to be something that requires a special occasion to consume because it comes in this fancy packaging. My last trip to Champagne was in 2018 and I met up with Fred Panaoitis for coffee after our tour at Ruinart. I couldn't help myself and I gave him my thoughts on GB's. Fred is a very environmentally conscious person and he told me that they had something in the works that will be coming out very soon. "Just wait" he said. I now know he was referring to the second skin packaging which is 100% recyclable and reduces carbon footprint by 60%. I for one think this is a step in the right direction.
Very well said. Unsurprisingly, Jon, you and I are on exactly the same page here. I agree with all your points, and would highlight the difference between people like you and me, as consumers of champagne, and those who collect it just to have it, maybe for appreciation or gifts in the future. That's why I said in my first post that "no one serious" keeps them, for the most part. At least not that I know of. I meant serious champagne lovers, who are drinkers of champagne, to me. It does show a certain prejudice on my part, I admit.

Your point about the gift boxes reinforcing a misconception that champagne is only for special occasions, or the like, is something I hadn't thought of before. It resonates with me for sure. I wish it were the opposite, when it comes to my own buying. Champagne is something I buy in greater quantity than almost anything else, and we go through it faster than just about anything else; so it's the last region where I want extraneous packaging, since I'm more likely to buy champagne by the case of 6-pack than pretty much anything else.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

B. Davies

#2604 Post by B. Davies »

When making champagne/sparkling wine cocktails do you still shop for something pretty decent in the $25+ range or is cheaper the better. I think I'm going to pick up some reasonably priced cremants.
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2605 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Frank, That Special Club packing a sounds ridiculous and maybe even a little dangerous. I do like the thoughtfulness of Benoit Dehu. I also wonder how other Champagnes Houses feel about GB.

I recently ordered a mix case of Champagnes and when I received shipping confirmation there were 2 tracking numbers. I then realized that 3 of those bottle could be packaged in GB's. I should have called the retailer and told them to ship just the bottles.

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2606 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:01 am
Jon Lawrence wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:27 am As someone who drinks a lot Champagne, I am not a fan of gift boxes for many reasons including the following: 1) For the most part I am not gifting, I am drinking it. 2) They are environmentally unfriendly. I had 3 gift boxes last week to try to figure out what is recyclable and what is garbage. Some pieces feel like vinyl, some velour, some plastic, and very little actual felt like cardboard. 3) They take up a lot of space. A 3-pack OCB, GB of Rare takes up almost as much space as a 6-pack OCB, non-GB of Cristal. I have limited storage space that I don't like wasting on GB's. 4) A lot of these GB's are PITA to open. The DP ones where you have to pull the tabs on the bottom had me stumped for a few minutes. I felt like I was trying to cross a bridge to get a bottle of Champagne but I had to answer a riddle before the Champagne troll would let me cross. I have come very close to dropping bottles where the bottles are friction fit and you need to exert pressure to get the bottle out. From an auction point of view, what matters most for me is some sort of original packaging which usually means OCB. The exception would be single bottle lots, where I would rather buy a single bottle in a GB than a single bottle without any packaging. 5) They clearly add some cost to the price of the Champagne because they take more labor to package, take up more space in a shipping container, require more space to store, etc. That is added cost but not added value for me. 6) Most GB's are boring. I think Rare probably has one of the more colorful ones, but even that is just repeating the "tiara" that is on the label.

Very well said. Unsurprisingly, Jon, you and I are on exactly the same page here. I agree with all your points, and would highlight the difference between people like you and me, as consumers of champagne, and those who collect it just to have it, maybe for appreciation or gifts in the future. That's why I said in my first post that "no one serious" keeps them, for the most part. At least not that I know of. I meant serious champagne lovers, who are drinkers of champagne, to me. It does show a certain prejudice on my part, I admit.

Your point about the gift boxes reinforcing a misconception that champagne is only for special occasions, or the like, is something I hadn't thought of before. It resonates with me for sure. I wish it were the opposite, when it comes to my own buying. Champagne is something I buy in greater quantity than almost anything else, and we go through it faster than just about anything else; so it's the last region where I want extraneous packaging, since I'm more likely to buy champagne by the case of 6-pack than pretty much anything else.
Thanks Sarah. You must be doing a lot celebrating if your are opening so much Champagne champagne.gif

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2607 Post by Greg K »

Had another bottle of 08 Egly tonight courtesy of a good friend. Drinks like a grand cru white burgundy with mushroom notes. Fascinating wine.
Greg Kahn

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2608 Post by K John Joseph »

B. Davies wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:05 am When making champagne/sparkling wine cocktails do you still shop for something pretty decent in the $25+ range or is cheaper the better. I think I'm going to pick up some reasonably priced cremants.
I use Korbel because it's not totally horrible, it's inexpensive, it's not sweet, and you can get boxes of 187s with bottle cap tops, and the profile is neutral enough but bright enough that it works in champagne cocktails.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2609 Post by K John Joseph »

Frank Murray III wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:37 am Jon, if I recall properly, a few years ago I remember drinking some Special Club (the weapon bottles as I call them, required by the Special Club. I think the bottles may have been Gimmonet), and those came in gift boxes. I can't remember if the box had a see through window on it but they were individually packed, in the boxes with the flaps. It was bad enough with the bottle shape and the weight but then with the box, I was wondering what's the point to all this packaging. I won't buy those again, nor anything Special Club. I have about 1/2 dozen SC bottles left and then I am clear of those from the cellar for good.

The counter to this is Benoit Dehu. If my old memory will serve me, not only does he source his wood from a nearby forest (near/in Fossoy), but he also seeks the rest of the packaging inputs from as close to the winery as he can get it. I appreciate this kind of thoughtfulness.
I literally passed on buying 12 Gimmonet SC because of the massive and obnoxious gift box. That and there was other really good stuff to buy at the shop I was in. But I had the same reaction and it somewhat validates Jon's note about hurting, not helping, sales. I would much, much prefer the packaging of a sixer of Charles Heidsieck, which is the smallest cardboard box capable of holding their six bottles, with a nifty punch and pull tab to get it open.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2610 Post by Al Osterheld »

The Special Club boxes are just flimsy cardboard with a clear window, nothing fancy.

-Al

B. Davies

#2611 Post by B. Davies »

K John Joseph wrote: October 28th, 2021, 11:56 am
B. Davies wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:05 am When making champagne/sparkling wine cocktails do you still shop for something pretty decent in the $25+ range or is cheaper the better. I think I'm going to pick up some reasonably priced cremants.
I use Korbel because it's not totally horrible, it's inexpensive, it's not sweet, and you can get boxes of 187s with bottle cap tops, and the profile is neutral enough but bright enough that it works in champagne cocktails.
I haven't had Korbel in a while so I might give it another shot for a mixer. Thanks!
WSET III
Bill Davies

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2612 Post by Frank Murray III »

Al, those Special Club bottles already weigh nearly as much as me. And, they already have a 'box' around them, called a glass bottle. I'm being sarcastic and wish not to be disrespectful but those boxes, at least to my wallet and KJJ's, are not necessary.

And, we voted to not buy the wine because of them. I 'cancelled' my purchase.....sorry, I had to. deadhorse
My best wines for 2022:

My best wines for 2021:

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2613 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Best choice is don’t make them.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Tom G l a s g o w
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2614 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:15 pm
Nothing wrong with a once a decade treat.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2615 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:18 pm
At that point use a decent NV. No reason to go downmarket every ten years.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2616 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:19 pm

We have Campari Spritzes occasionally and have actually found that NV champagne isn't a good choice. It's the wrong texture, sweetness level (at least in our house), and doesn't provide the right background. We buy a good solid Prosecco - NV Bele Casel Asolo Prosecco Superiore - and keep it in the cellar just for this purpose. It's about $15 and perfect for a summer spritz.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Tom G l a s g o w
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2617 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:28 pm
We have Campari Spritzes occasionally and have actually found that NV champagne isn't a good choice. It's the wrong texture, sweetness level (at least in our house), and doesn't provide the right background. We buy a good solid Prosecco - NV Bele Casel Asolo Prosecco Superiore - and keep it in the cellar just for this purpose. It's about $15 and perfect for a summer spritz.
I need to stock up on that and col Fondo.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2618 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Wouldn’t have thought about that as I don’t care for Campari.

todd waldmann
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2619 Post by todd waldmann »

I agree completely with Sarah on this one. Prosecco works better for cocktails.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2620 Post by Al Osterheld »

Frank Murray III wrote: October 28th, 2021, 5:18 pm Al, those Special Club bottles already weigh nearly as much as me. And, they already have a 'box' around them, called a glass bottle. I'm being sarcastic and wish not to be disrespectful but those boxes, at least to my wallet and KJJ's, are not necessary.

And, we voted to not buy the wine because of them. I 'cancelled' my purchase.....sorry, I had to. deadhorse
I certainly understand the dislike for the size and weight of the bottles. The box is a nothing for me, I just throw it out and I doubt they are a factor in the pricing. An iPhone comes in a box that is vastly better engineered (doubt they are a factor in the pricing, either).

-Al

Tyler F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2621 Post by Tyler F. »

todd waldmann wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:50 pm

I agree completely with Sarah on this one. Prosecco works better for cocktails.
$6.99 Kirkland Prosecco. We buy it by the case. Haven't had anyone complain about their cocktail yet.
Tyler Fabian

2021 WOTY Candidates -
2018 W&M Shifflett Cab
2019 Quivet Cellars Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard Cab
2018 Vine Hill Ranch Cab
2016 Andremily Syrah No. 5
2008 Taittinger Comtes BdB

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2622 Post by J a y H a c k »

Frank Murray III wrote: October 24th, 2021, 1:53 pm I'll add my POV. I drank my final mag of 2009 Cristal last weekend. That bottle comes in an enormous, hard coated box that I just don't see how I am going to recycle it, even part of it. Personally, I don't need nor want this level of packaging, and for me, it adds no value to the wine. I get it that some people like it, and that aspects of the way wine is packaged is part of the strategy to sell it. I'll just continue to express and be on record that I don't need capsules, gift boxes, heavy bottles (like the gross things that the Club Trésors requires of its members to use, i.e. the Special Club) or any of that stuff. Nor, will I buy it again, nor any more Special Club weapon bottles.
Agreed. I have been fighting that battle for years and other than a few wineries that have switched to human bottles (Pax!!), it's hopeless. Champagne presentation boxes are the worst. I will never buy one on purpose, but I get way too many from auctions that list OCB but really mean "Big fancy box that you will throw immediately in the garbage if you actually drink the stuff.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2623 Post by Russell Faulkner »

Depends on the cocktail no?

Don’t go making me a French 75 with Prosecco!
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2624 Post by Al Osterheld »

I've never made a Champagne cocktail and don't think I've ever drunk one. I'll just stick with the Champagne.

-Al

B. Davies

#2625 Post by B. Davies »

I plan on making: Diamante: 50ml Mancino Vermouth Sakura, 100ml Rose’ Champagne

Method: Pour cold Vermouth into large champagne coupe or large flute , gently build with cold Champagne , stir once.

Was able to try https://mancinovermouth.com/sakura.html during a Michelin event and it was just crazy good.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2626 Post by Blake Brown »

Already opposed in another thread on Wine Talk:

2012 CHAMPAGNE A. MARGAINE ROSE de SAIGNEE- I`m a big fan of this small grower and in many cases actually prefer many of the roses that are made using the saignee method; this bottle performed beautifully and evolved over time while developing and expanding; the color was a dark red amber/ blood orange and the nose had mild notes of fresh strawberry and raspberry which were more pronounced once tasted; there’s a nice streak of nutmeg and spice that runs through and the light frothy mousse adds to the sensorial treat; another trait I like about this house is they are all about disclosure and the back label gives a lot of info including the blend consisting of 75% Pinot Noir, 25%Chardonnay, the tirage happening in 5/13, that it was disgorged in 11/19 with a dosage of 4.5 gpl and although not specified, is an extra brut.

Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Mikko Tuomi
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2627 Post by Mikko Tuomi »

Robert Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru Reserve Perpetuelle Blanc de Blancs Extra-Brut

This is the Robert Moncuit "infinity bottle", that includes bits from all of their vintages from 2006.

Degorged December 2020, 3g dosage. Straw color, hint of gold. Fine bubbles, viscous and creamy mouthfeel. Lots of apples, more tart that sweet, on the nose. Not very fruity, some lemon and peach, noticeable salinity. Typical toasted bread, but this bread has a bit of burnt marks on it that shows some spice. Long finish. Ready to drink now, not too acidic, enough body to enjoy with food. Delicious Champagne.

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2628 Post by Warren Taranow »

Half a Krug GC 168 for the prep, Cristal ’09 for the meal, and dinner with friends for the win.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2629 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: October 30th, 2021, 7:51 am Half a Krug GC 168 for the prep, Cristal ’09 for the meal, and dinner with friends for the win.
It's the half full analogy and in the case for Krug GC, it's just a bit more than half full. Love your style.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Christine Huang
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2630 Post by Christine Huang »

Agree with all that you said. Looking at the fancy-schmancy packaging (with the heavy metal clasp that was so sleek I wondered if I possessed the required advanced degrees to open it without the bottle smashing onto the tile floor, then thankful for the “Push Here” letting me know I’m not the only idiot drinking this wine) made me wonder if the champagne itself was still as good as I remembered.

Luckily, it’s lively and lovely. Serious whiff of yeasty buttered brioche with lemon marmalade right off the bat. On the palate, the floral citrus taste reminds me more of Yuzu than lemon. I’m quite enjoying it as I sit here contemplating how best to recycle/dispose of the gilded coffin.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2631 Post by Neal.Mollen »

1999 Billecart-Salmon Nicolas Francois. The good news: this is a gorgeous, classic, archetypical tete cuvee. Simultaneously luscious, complex and effortless to drink. If you were asked by a loved one "what does Champagne taste like," you could do a hell of a lot worse than simply giving them a glass. Despite the oak upbringing, its impact on the wine is barely perceptible -- just another hinted flavor, a subtle hue on the palette.

Bad news: 2 bottles left. Sigh.
Last edited by Neal.Mollen on October 30th, 2021, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2632 Post by Warren Taranow »

Neal.Mollen wrote: October 30th, 2021, 8:44 pm 1999 Billecart-Salmon Nicolas Francois. The good news: this is a gorgeous, classic, archetypical tete cuvee. Simultaneously luscious, complex and effortless to drink. If you were asked by a loved one "what does Champagne taste like," you could do a hell of a lot worse than simply giving them a glass. Despite the oak upbringing, it's impact on the wine is barely perceptible -- just another hinted flavor, a subtle hue on the palette.

Bad news: 2 bottles left. Sigh.
Neal,
That’s one more (or twice as many) than I have. But I’m deep in the 2002. And I just reloaded on the ‘06, although it hasn’t impressed me like the ‘99 & ‘02.
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Steve Doi
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2633 Post by Steve Doi »

Roederer Collection 241 from mag (only available in mags in my market). From what I can glean from the tech specs, 42% chard, 36% PN, 22% PM, reserve wines 2011-2015. Shows more PN and PM at this point in time, lots of red fruit and spice, including notes of ginger and clove. Bit hollow in the mid-palate now; pleasant enough as a curiosity, but not rushing to buy more. Will open the 242 in 750 later for comparison, but the notes on 242 seem more positive than my impressions of 241.

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2634 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Christine Huang wrote: October 30th, 2021, 4:38 pm
Agree with all that you said. Looking at the fancy-schmancy packaging (with the heavy metal clasp that was so sleek I wondered if I possessed the required advanced degrees to open it without the bottle smashing onto the tile floor, then thankful for the “Push Here” letting me know I’m not the only idiot drinking this wine) made me wonder if the champagne itself was still as good as I remembered.

Luckily, it’s lively and lovely. Serious whiff of yeasty buttered brioche with lemon marmalade right off the bat. On the palate, the floral citrus taste reminds me more of Yuzu than lemon. I’m quite enjoying it as I sit here contemplating how best to recycle/dispose of the gilded coffin.
Hi Christine! Next time you guys have us over, I will bring a bottle of Cristal minus the gilded coffin.

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2635 Post by J. Rock »

I had 1996 Deutz Champagne Brut yesterday and I loved it. It showed much younger than expecting (although, I haven't had much Champagne this old). The finish was only moderate in length, but otherwise it was lively with pretty strong, small bubbles; pretty high acidity; and notes of ripe yellow apple, hazelnut, caramel, graham cracker, etc.
J o r d a n

WOTY 2021: 2012 Horsepower Vineyards Syrah The Tribe Vineyard

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2636 Post by Russell Faulkner »

A rare bird from Charles Dufour.

1999 vintage, all Pinot Blanc, disgorged 2017 with no dosage or sulphur.

Fully mature, creamy, mandarin, doughy. Not blind but the PB character is clear. Fun.
81C43CE6-F084-4B6B-B79C-81E425515033.jpeg
673F61C1-B96A-4D4C-B370-C71744843CCA.jpeg
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2637 Post by Frank Murray III »

Christine Huang wrote: October 30th, 2021, 4:38 pm

The golden coffin is a witty and yet accurate way of thinking about those boxes. I wonder if Cristal has or is making changes to the coffin? For an organization like them to have such a strong and leading edge role in shaping the region's environmental farming culture, the coffin would seem to be opposite of their environmental values.

I'm going to send them a note today, to see what their comment is about these packages and if there are any plans to modify them.
My best wines for 2022:

My best wines for 2021:

m. ristev

#2638 Post by m. ristev »

Russell Faulkner wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:14 am A rare bird from Charles Dufour.

1999 vintage, all Pinot Blanc, disgorged 2017 with no dosage or sulphur.

Fully mature, creamy, mandarin, doughy. Not blind but the PB character is clear. Fun.

81C43CE6-F084-4B6B-B79C-81E425515033.jpeg673F61C1-B96A-4D4C-B370-C71744843CCA.jpeg
is yves his father or something? thanks for posting a truly interesting wine. however, i can't say i have had much luck with the single vintage wines from charles. i am a big fan of the standard issue bulles de comptoir tho!
mајкл

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2639 Post by Russell Faulkner »

Yes the father.

Tonight his mothers wine!
F8406F99-567F-4EC5-9934-C4AB8ED7DCAC.jpeg
Coppery light orange. Juicy sour fruits, very easy style but with some complexity. Peachy.

(I should add that I sell Charles’ wine in Bordeaux. But only the #9)
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2640 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

Tried a different approach these last few months. I was sitting on a 6 pack of Hebrart 2010 special Club bought on release. Seems like just an ok year, so we decided to drink the whole 6 pack in about six weeks. Hebrart seems to really be on the rise. All 6 were round, deep and vibrant. Lots of Pinot Noir flavors, but the backbone and acid from the Chardonnay. Uniformly excellent.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2641 Post by Frank Murray III »

Christine, Jon and anyone else who posted on this topic of packaging earlier up in the thread, I went to Roederer directly to express the concern about their Cristal packaging. And since I have previously had some communications with Jean Baptiste Lecaillon, who is the winemaker for both Roederer and Cristal, I figured I would just go direct and ask him. He got back to me within an hour or so, which is kinda why I think a lot of them, as they take the time, and specifically Jean Baptiste engages with people in reply. I asked for his OK to post his reply, as I thought that to be respectful--he said he was fine with it. So, that is pasted below:

"I have to check this out but most of our magnums and bottles are not sold in these gift boxes. They are 3 magnum packs or 6 bottles packs without any gift box. On some markets we are specifically asked for gift boxes and this is probably what happened here. Our policy, which is ruled under our neutral carbon strategy, is to decrease all kinds of packaging as much as we can. It is work in progress but we are getting there. Thanks for your support on our farming practices. It is also work in progress especially after a difficult but successful 2021 farming season. Cheers."

So, to the extent their packaging is an issue, which for some of us the 'coffins' are, then you may appreciate knowing the extent to which those coffins are made. I recognize too that there is the plastic film they wrap the clear bottles in, and while I think that is fair discussion too, I'd like to do my part to keep this thread about 'what' people are drinking, which was Steve's intent in starting this wonderful thread a while ago.

And in closing, and I said this to Jean Baptiste in my note to him.....his organization deserves a lot of credit and respect for the environmental leadership they have shown in the farming of their significant acreage. They were out front of the organic farming (and bio-d for Cristal) for some time now, and their commitment to is one I respect very much. The work they are doing with their land and the wines they make from it. For that, I support them.
My best wines for 2022:

My best wines for 2021:

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2642 Post by Dennis Atick »

I thought this was pretty fantastic the other night. A good entry to Egly and certainly worth the price of admission. July 2020 disg.
@decaturwinedude

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2643 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

Frank Murray III wrote: November 1st, 2021, 2:26 pm Christine, Jon and anyone else who posted on this topic of packaging earlier up in the thread, I went to Roederer directly to express the concern about their Cristal packaging. And since I have previously had some communications with Jean Baptiste Lecaillon, who is the winemaker for both Roederer and Cristal, I figured I would just go direct and ask him. He got back to me within an hour or so, which is kinda why I think a lot of them, as they take the time, and specifically Jean Baptiste engages with people in reply. I asked for his OK to post his reply, as I thought that to be respectful--he said he was fine with it. So, that is pasted below:

"I have to check this out but most of our magnums and bottles are not sold in these gift boxes. They are 3 magnum packs or 6 bottles packs without any gift box. On some markets we are specifically asked for gift boxes and this is probably what happened here. Our policy, which is ruled under our neutral carbon strategy, is to decrease all kinds of packaging as much as we can. It is work in progress but we are getting there. Thanks for your support on our farming practices. It is also work in progress especially after a difficult but successful 2021 farming season. Cheers."

So, to the extent their packaging is an issue, which for some of us the 'coffins' are, then you may appreciate knowing the extent to which those coffins are made. I recognize too that there is the plastic film they wrap the clear bottles in, and while I think that is fair discussion too, I'd like to do my part to keep this thread about 'what' people are drinking, which was Steve's intent in starting this wonderful thread a while ago.

And in closing, and I said this to Jean Baptiste in my note to him.....his organization deserves a lot of credit and respect for the environmental leadership they have shown in the farming of their significant acreage. They were out front of the organic farming (and bio-d for Cristal) for some time now, and their commitment to is one I respect very much. The work they are doing with their land and the wines they make from it. For that, I support them.
Thanks for that update Frankie. If I was only allowed one Champagne house from which to buy, I certainly would not complain if it was Roederer. Amazing quality and a clear commitment to clean farming.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2644 Post by Neal.Mollen »

2009 Paul Bara Special Club Rosè. This is a wine that is very good in that it is delicious to drink. It is good to smell and good to taste. You should buy this wine and then drink it because it is good. Thank you for reading my tasting note.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2645 Post by Al Osterheld »

Don't have the Special Club Rose often, but like it along with most of their line-up.

-Al

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2646 Post by maureen nelson »

Neal.Mollen wrote: November 6th, 2021, 7:21 pm 2009 Paul Bara Special Club Rosè. This is a wine that is very good in that it is delicious to drink. It is good to smell and good to taste. You should buy this wine and then drink it because it is good. Thank you for reading my tasting note.
Now, that’s my kind of note!

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2647 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Agrapart Terroirs, just a tremendous bottle. Phenomenal cut and precision.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Nick Christie

#2648 Post by Nick Christie »

Neal.Mollen wrote: November 6th, 2021, 7:21 pm 2009 Paul Bara Special Club Rosè. This is a wine that is very good in that it is delicious to drink. It is good to smell and good to taste. You should buy this wine and then drink it because it is good. Thank you for reading my tasting note.
Rare eloquence, indeed... We missed you greatly this afternoon, Councilor Eden :).

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2649 Post by Blake Brown »

Not technically champagne, but worth of a post here IMHO:

NV ALLIMANT-LAUGNER CREMANT d`ALSACE BRUT ROSE- 100% Pinot Noir which is macerated for a few hours directly on the press and then aged 12-18 months; this bottle had a dosage of 4.1 gpl and therefore is an Extra Brut; following its salmon color came aromas of lovely rose petals and fresh red fruit with strawberry and red raspberry more identifiable once tasted; it has a light, frothy mousse and exudes elegance and finesses; it seemed to expand in the glass as the flavors kept unfolding, but always in balance and with grace and ease; this is a GREAT QPR.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

joejolesch

#2650 Post by joejolesch »

2017 Marc Hebrart Special Club, brunch at Ca Va in KC. Obviously young but nice richness, baked yellow apple, slight ginger note, tasty. Opened up with air and perfect with pomme frites and a croque monsieur.
2021 WOTY - 2018 W&M Shifflett Cab, 2014 Roy Piper

Return to “Wine Talk”