Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#2351 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a separate thread to be posted soon in Wine Talk:

NV PALMER & CO BLANC de BLANC in magnum- this was my first exposure to this house which was started cooperatively in 1947 by 7 grower families located in the Montagne de Reims region; their champagnes are Chardonnay centric and sourced from Grand Cru and 1er Cru plots; this was a great start to the day and also served as a good palate cleanser for the onslaught of bubbly that ensued; the nose contained some yeastiness that faded in favor of fresh lemon dominated citrus fruit with accents of chalk and minerals; it had a nice frothy mousse, but it was the cutting acidity that refreshingly graced all of the tactile sensory receptors.

thumbnail_IMG_0005.jpg
2000 DUVAL-LEROY FEMME de CHAMPAGNE in magnum- as the name implies, there’s some feminine energy responsible for this wondrous wine; the owner and winemaker are two ladies that have worked together to create some fine bubbly over the years and this bottle shined ever so brightly; first, it was presented in an impressively huge, heavy bottle that had a fist sized punt in the bottom; this is a blend of 87% Chardonnay that comes from 5 different Grand Cru communes, vinified separately for individuality, and 13% Pinot Noir, vinified in oak barrels for 8 years; although the label shows 2000 as the vintage, it is my understanding that it also has a tad of other vintages up to and including 2004 in it; I believe in Champagne, it is required that at least 95% is represented from a single vintage to be declared a vintage wine, so it would have to be a small amount of inclusion of the others; nonetheless, this was an unexpected treat as I’ve had this bottle in the cellar for 6+ years and did not know what treasures it would give although I have had really good champagnes from this house which supported a good experience; the hallmark for me was its elegance, finesse and charm; it had really nice fresh citrus fruit with lemon meringue the most appropriate descriptor; it was creamy and rich and yet so easy on the palate; its bright acidity and creamy mousse added to its allure.

thumbnail_IMG_0004.jpg
Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2352 Post by Blake Brown »

2008 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- wow! Its finally coming around and coming together; after at least 5 underperforming bottles, but strongly suggestive of greatness, this one was super impressive and confirmed the royalty it truly deserves; massively rich and full bodied, it has so much power and yet enough elegance to touch all of the bases; the taste profile is expanding and now includes golden delicious apple, pear, yellow peach and grapefruit that joins the lemon and lime that was so prevalent early on; accents of brioche and honey enhance the experience as does its creamy, rich texture; this is the complete package and all one has to do now is just sit back and be treated to the blessings of the vintage of the decade and one of the best Cristals in the last 25 years+ IMHO; 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay.

thumbnail_IMG_0007.jpg
2009 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT in magnum- how about another wow! this followed the 08` only because it had not been chilled quite enough, but it would have been the perfect champagne to transition from had it been; this amazing rich and round bubbly has been great out of the gate and it still shines and pleases immensely; it is more elegant and has less power, but it has so much charm and exudes class while hitting on all cylinders; 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay from 7 Grand Cru villages, plus Mareuil-sur-Aÿ.

thumbnail_IMG_0019.jpg
Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2353 Post by Blake Brown »

1995 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT de MILLENAIRES- here comes an old fav, one that I still have in the cellar and this bottle came from another friend; the last bottle I had was with the Orange County gang in early May and it was pretty advanced with tertiary notes that bordered on being oxidized, but this bottle still retained some of its freshness and offered some pleasing, albeit mature notes; there’s some yeast, hazelnut, caramel and toast that joins ripe and honeyed citrus and stone fruit to make up a complex taste profile while being delivered in a creamy, oily like texture; IMHO, it’s time for this champagne to be opened.

thumbnail_IMG_0006.jpg
2002 BOLLINGER LA GRANDE ANNEE BRUT- all wines used for this prestige cuvée are vinified in wood, as are all wines destined for storage as reserves; according to the house, the wines made in stainless steel always go through malolactic, while the wines in wood are left to do as they like—some barrels will go through malo while others will not; my guess is that this one went through malo as evidenced by its buttery, creamy texture and toasty oak notes; Bollie`s house style is already on the big and bold side and this has some aging to lend itself for more depth and complexity; actually, it’s in a great place now and I`m not sure how much longer it will stay here before it moves on to another level of intensity and more tertiary notes.

thumbnail_IMG_0011.jpg
1999 PHILIPPONNAT RESERVE MILLESIME BRUT- i`ve enjoyed many a bottle of this fine bubbly and this one has reached its perfect apogee with everything coming together and expressing to the fullest extent; it is laden with stone fruit notes, especially yellow peach, tangerine and apricot along with apple, pear and dried citrus; additionally, it’s enhanced by a streak of minerals and accents of ginger and honeysuckle; this was full bodied, very rich and had layered depth that crescendoed into a grand finish.

thumbnail_IMG_0009.jpg
2006 EGLY-OURIET GRAND CRU BRUT MILLESIME- I`ve long been a fan of this house and their various releases across the board and this was in the top echelon; based on 60/70% barrel-fermented Pinot Noir and 30/40% barrel-fermented Chardonnay, the fruit is sourced from old vines in Ambonnay; this house prefers extended lees aging, with some wines aged up to 9 years before disgorgement; this one saw 8 years on the lees and was dosed at 2 gpl; following its medium yellow color, the nose was super inviting with ripe apple and pear fruit joined on the palate by citrus, especially orange zest, and tropical fruit accented by brioche and ginger; it was rich and full bodied with a creamy texture and nicely balanced.

thumbnail_IMG_0014.jpg
Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2354 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:55 pm Extracted from a separate thread to be posted soon in Wine Talk:

1995 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT de MILLENAIRES- IMHO, it’s time for this champagne to be opened.

Cheers,
Blake
Blake,
I still have four bottles left out of three cases. I haven't opened one since 2018. I think you helped me decide what to open for a Hospice House charity dinner I'm hosting this weekend.
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2355 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm
Blake Brown wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:55 pm Extracted from a separate thread to be posted soon in Wine Talk:

1995 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT de MILLENAIRES- IMHO, it’s time for this champagne to be opened.

Cheers,
Blake
Blake,
I still have four bottles left out of three cases. I haven't opened one since 2018. I think you helped me decide what to open for a Hospice House charity dinner I'm hosting this weekend.
Cheers,
Warren
What a good choice for a benefit, assuming hopefully you have people who will appreciate great champagne.
I'd be curious as to what your impressions are if you do Warren. We will find out how our palates match and I'll be in a better position for future recs.
Napolean Bonaparte

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2356 Post by AD Northup »

• 2014 Nathalie Falmet Champagne Cuvée Le Val Cornet - France, Champagne (9/10/2021)
    Composed of and even split of Pinot noir and Meunier, disgorged 9 December 2019 with 4 g/l dosage. Pale gold, loads of pear and bread on the nose. Loads of acid up front on pnp, a little disjointed. That quickly fades and a richness and body comes to the front with the same crisp pear flavor. The acid fades to the finish. Meets expectations at the price point.
Posted from CellarTracker
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

IG: adn.wine

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2002 Cristal
2019 Les Horees Aligote en Coulezain
1978 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

Zachary Mancini

#2357 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Can't wait to try my first Cristal soon.

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2358 Post by MattG »

One mag: 2007 Egly or 2007 Taittinger?

Haven’t tried the 2007 Egly. Actually, never had a vintage Egly but love the NV.

Had the CDC. Great on day one, forgettable on day two.

Would like to have something that’ll last 10+ years

Anyone tried both and have an opinion?
G@|’$1n

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2359 Post by Blake Brown »

And finally, the thread has been posted and here's the lineup:

NV PALMER & CO BLANC de BLANC in magnum
2000 DUVAL-LEROY FEMME de CHAMPAGNE in magnum
2008 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT
2009 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT
1995 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT de MILLENAIRES
2002 BOLLINGER LA GRANDE ANNEE BRUT
1999 PHILIPPONNAT RESERVE MILLESIME BRUT
2006 EGLY-OURIET GRAND CRU BRUT MILLESIME
NV PIERRE PETERS CUVEE de RESERVE BLANC de BLANC
NV CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT RESERVE
NV CHARTOGNE- TAILLET ORIZEAUX BLANC de NOIR EXTRA BRUT
NV PASCAL DOQUET ARPEGE BLANC de BLANC 1er Cru
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2360 Post by Warren Taranow »

CT - WST

Zachary Mancini

#2361 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Also just got the Sophienwald Champagne glasses. Can't wait to try them out!

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2362 Post by Blake Brown »

Zachary Mancini wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:57 am Also just got the Sophienwald Champagne glasses. Can't wait to try them out!
Excellent. The true test for you will be to compare them to any other stems used for champagne.
Napolean Bonaparte

Jon Lawrence

#2363 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Blake Brown wrote: September 10th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Cheers,
Blake
Blake,
Cheers,
Warren
What a good choice for a benefit, assuming hopefully you have people who will appreciate great champagne.
I'd be curious as to what your impressions are if you do Warren. We will find out how our palates match and I'll be in a better position for future recs.
Warren - some bottles of this are more mature than others, but each one is great in its own right. The bottle I had last week was more fresh than the bottle last month, but we loved them both. I would dare to say it is the best drinking Champagne today from ‘95.

mdavis

#2364 Post by mdavis »

Prevost Fac-Simile.
m=m.a.r.k

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2365 Post by Blake Brown »

Jon Lawrence wrote: September 11th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Blake,
Cheers,
Warren
Warren - some bottles of this are more mature than others, but each one is great in its own right. The bottle I had last week was more fresh than the bottle last month, but we loved them both. I would dare to say it is the best drinking Champagne today from ‘95.
I'd add the 95` Comtes to this list as well. It was significantly better than the 96` until the latter finally came around and showed it treasures years after release and now they are head to head IMHO.
Napolean Bonaparte

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2366 Post by alan weinberg »

Ha—96 Salon for the second time in 7 days—later tonight. Last bottle killed it, amazing. But for a “young” wine, 08 Taittinger Comte stuns.

Jon Lawrence

#2367 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Blake Brown wrote: September 11th, 2021, 4:38 pm

I'd add the 95` Comtes to this list as well. It was significantly better than the 96` until the latter finally came around and showed it treasures years after release and now they are head to head IMHO.
Blake - I am going to have to defer to you on this because it has been at least 5 years since I have had the '95 Comtes. Ironically, it was the 1st case of Champagne that I bought (when cases were still 12 bottles) and I bought it from Premier Cru of all places. It was ready to drink by the time it arrived - 2 years after I ordered it. My favorite '95's besides BdM, are Comtes, Krug and DP Oeno (Dec '06 disgorgement). I drank quite a few bottles of each of those back in the day, but they never reached the highs of BdM. It would be an interesting retrospective to drink those head-to-head today.

Jon Lawrence

#2368 Post by Jon Lawrence »

alan weinberg wrote: September 11th, 2021, 6:25 pm Ha—96 Salon for the second time in 7 days—later tonight. Last bottle killed it, amazing. But for a “young” wine, 08 Taittinger Comte stuns.
Alan - Lucky you! Too bad Salon is trading for $1000/btl nowadays. I totally agree on the Comtes. Going back to 1995, this is the best drinking Comtes on release IMO (followed by '02 and then '06).

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2369 Post by Blake Brown »

Jon Lawrence wrote: September 12th, 2021, 5:06 am

Blake - I am going to have to defer to you on this because it has been at least 5 years since I have had the '95 Comtes. Ironically, it was the 1st case of Champagne that I bought (when cases were still 12 bottles) and I bought it from Premier Cru of all places. It was ready to drink by the time it arrived - 2 years after I ordered it. My favorite '95's besides BdM, are Comtes, Krug and DP Oeno (Dec '06 disgorgement). I drank quite a few bottles of each of those back in the day, but they never reached the highs of BdM. It would be an interesting retrospective to drink those head-to-head today.
Great add on Jon. It's been a while since I had the DP Oeno 12/ 06, but it was superlative and I have one bottle left as is the case for the BdM. Might have to consider the head to head without the 95` Krug which I do not have any more of. There some local friends who would love that.
Napolean Bonaparte

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2370 Post by Neal.Mollen »

had a bottle of the Moutard rose last night. Is there a better value in sparkling wine? I am not sure there is. Absolutely delicious stuff.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2371 Post by Blake Brown »

Neal.Mollen wrote: September 12th, 2021, 7:41 am had a bottle of the Moutard rose last night. Is there a better value in sparkling wine? I am not sure there is. Absolutely delicious stuff.
Agreed Neal
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2372 Post by Warren Taranow »

MattG wrote: September 10th, 2021, 8:27 pm One mag: 2007 Egly or 2007 Taittinger?

Haven’t tried the 2007 Egly. Actually, never had a vintage Egly but love the NV.

Had the CDC. Great on day one, forgettable on day two.

Would like to have something that’ll last 10+ years

Anyone tried both and have an opinion?
Matt
I have no experience with the ‘07 Egly-Ouriet Millésimé, but love that grower’s wines. While I like the ‘07 Comtes, I prefer the ‘02, ‘04, ‘06, and ‘08 over the ‘07. I personally would go with the Egly. If you had regrets, you’d probably still be able to find more Comtes, but Egly Millésimé magnums will be impossible to source.
Just my opinion; you really can’t go wrong.
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2373 Post by Warren Taranow »

Cheers,
Blake
Blake,
Cheers,
Warren
My last bottle before this was in 2018, and I thought it would last many more years. I may have been wrong (and Blake as usual was right!). Last night's bottle, while utterly delicious, was teeter-tottering towards too much oxidation. Luscious mouthfeel, and a generous bead. Orchard fruit, floral scents, scant brioche and hazelnuts. A faint sherry note in the background may portend the end of its drinking window for me. I've loved this wine for years, and still do, but will finish my last three bottles this year. That's all I have left of three cases.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2374 Post by K John Joseph »

Blake Brown wrote: August 27th, 2021, 1:03 pm Point #3:
My experience has been that most champagnes at age 15-20 have more oxidative notes which for me translates into butterscotch, caramel, honeysuckle and when majorly advanced, nutty, sherry like notes. We differ here Warren in that I prefer the more primary flavors and find more differences until they get more monochromatic and at that point, a lot of different champagnes are closer to being similar and have lost much of their individuality. Having said that, I do find a sweet spot that arrives just before that, the 02` Krug is in that place now as are 02` Cristal and others. The 02` Cristal Late Release is just too much for my palate preferences.
I'm in the same boat. While I've enjoyed older champagnes, and I'm calling that 30-50 years old, I often feel that what makes champagnes so exciting to me is lost. The vivacity of youth turns to something more contemplative, and while that is lovely at times, I prefer more of the fruit, mousse, and brightness than the faded mousse, aged notes, truffle, etc. Like Blake I think there is an aged sweet spot (probably in the mid-90s is as old as I'd really prefer right now), but if I'm going to miss, I would prefer to miss on the youthful side. I get tremendous pleasure from very young champagne anyway, so hitting the young + some secondary is, for me, bliss.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2375 Post by K John Joseph »

mdavis wrote: September 11th, 2021, 4:34 pm Prevost Fac-Simile.
Our very own Charlie Fu turned me onto this wine. I've very much enjoyed the few bottles I've had since and now it's trading at a crazy tariff that will likely preclude me from buying much more. I had the pleasure to sit down with Alfert, Fu, Carnes, French, and Henriquez shortly before Covid took us all by storm and enjoyed 08 Dom, 08 Cristal, and Fac-Simile in the same evening (along with a bunch of other insane wines).
J0hn-J-K4ne

Jon Lawrence

#2376 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Warren Taranow wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Blake,
Cheers,
Warren
My last bottle before this was in 2018, and I thought it would last many more years. I may have been wrong (and Blake as usual was right!). Last night's bottle, while utterly delicious, was teeter-tottering towards too much oxidation. Luscious mouthfeel, and a generous bead. Orchard fruit, floral scents, scant brioche and hazelnuts. A faint sherry note in the background may portend the end of its drinking window for me. I've loved this wine for years, and still do, but will finish my last three bottles this year. That's all I have left of three cases.

Cheers,
Warren
There are definitely worse things than having to drink 3 bottles of '95 BdM in the next year! I have to admit that this Champagne has had me on edge more so than any other that I have purchased on release ('02 Piper and Comtes being 2nd and 3rd). I don't think I have ever had a bad bottle, but I have had some bottles that led me to believe I need to drink up. There have also been I believe 3 disgorgements and I can't tell which is which, except that paper label came first, so that complicates the drinking decision process. I don't have any more of this in storage and with just a 6-pack and change left in the cellar, they won't have a chance of staying on the cork for much longer.

Btw, I had my first bottle of '06 BdM the other night and it was not enjoyable. I don't know if it was a representative bottle or an off-bottle, so I will hold off passing judgment until I buy another bottle from a different source and try it.

Jon Lawrence

#2377 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Blake Brown wrote: September 12th, 2021, 7:38 am
Jon Lawrence wrote: September 12th, 2021, 5:06 am

Great add on Jon. It's been a while since I had the DP Oeno 12/ 06, but it was superlative and I have one bottle left as is the case for the BdM. Might have to consider the head to head without the 95` Krug which I do not have any more of. There some local friends who would love that.
I look forward to seeing the notes on that battle! I am putting my money on the BdM.

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2378 Post by Blake Brown »

Jon Lawrence wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:55 am

Cheers,
Warren

Btw, I had my first bottle of '06 BdM the other night and it was not enjoyable. I don't know if it was a representative bottle or an off-bottle, so I will hold off passing judgment until I buy another bottle from a different source and try it.
Yikes! I just received my pre-arrival purchase Saturday and almost pulled one out for tonight. Think I'll hold off.
Napolean Bonaparte

Zachary Mancini

#2379 Post by Zachary Mancini »

I really want my Cristal 12 to show up so I can try a bottle with my mom! I even have the Sophienwald Champagne glasses ready to go!

Jon Lawrence

#2380 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Blake Brown wrote: September 13th, 2021, 10:30 am
Jon Lawrence wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:55 am

Cheers,
Warren

Yikes! I just received my pre-arrival purchase Saturday and almost pulled one out for tonight. Think I'll hold off.
I bought the bottle locally last week along with '08 Rare that was just utterly delicious. The wines were delivered directly from the retailer and still cold. I don't give much credence to the theory of bottle shock as it pertains to young Champagne. If this was old Nebbiolo then I would have let it sit in the cellar for a couple of months. I do believe there are sometimes bad bottles of great wines and this may have been one of those situations. Hopefully yours is much better than mine was.

I went back and did a little research on my '95 BdM purchases and I bought in 2013 and 2015. The first purchase was just two 6-packs with the paper labels. I don't know if that was the first disgorgement or if they had multiple ones up until that time period. I do see a tasting note on CT going back to 2002 which seems a bit early and then another note in 2005 and bunch in 2006, so these bottles could have been disgorged a long time ago. I wrote a tasting note in 2014 which highlights my concern about this Champagne getting long in the tooth:

"I have had many outstanding bottles of the Champagne, my favorite '95, but the past few bottles, including this one have seemed a little tired. Hopefully there will be another disgorgement."

The reason I bought again in 2015 was because I was told it was a new disgorgement and the price was really good. Sure enough the bottles had a new label (the embossed lettering) and were not only fresher than the previous bottles, but even better. I took deliver of my last two 6-packs this spring. They had been kept in professional storage since that purchase in 2015. I am much less concerned about the bottles I currently have falling off a cliff anytime soon, but just to be on the safe side (and since they are so damn tasty), I will drink them all in the next 6 months.

Jon Lawrence

#2381 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Zachary Mancini wrote: September 13th, 2021, 8:34 pm I really want my Cristal 12 to show up so I can try a bottle with my mom! I even have the Sophienwald Champagne glasses ready to go!
If your Cristal is not going to arrive in time, maybe you can find a bottle of '08 Comtes? I think it is drinker better than the '12 Cristal at the moment.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2382 Post by Ed Steinway »

We each had a glass of the Chateau de Bligny Grand Reserve over the weekend. Very nice for the price!

Zachary Mancini

#2383 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Jon Lawrence wrote: September 14th, 2021, 6:29 am
Zachary Mancini wrote: September 13th, 2021, 8:34 pm I really want my Cristal 12 to show up so I can try a bottle with my mom! I even have the Sophienwald Champagne glasses ready to go!
If your Cristal is not going to arrive in time, maybe you can find a bottle of '08 Comtes? I think it is drinker better than the '12 Cristal at the moment.
Still waiting on my 07 and 08 Comtes as well. It's being held due to weather.

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2384 Post by Blake Brown »

From a thread to be posted in a few days:

2002 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLESIME- most of us who participated in a dinner had attended a champagne party the previous day where 12 fabulous champagnes were opened with 08` and 09` Cristal, 95` Charles Heidsieck Brut de Millenaires, 02` Bollinger Grande Annee, 99` Philipponnat Reserve Millesime, 06` Egly-Ouriet Brut Millesime and many other winners were poured; amazingly, many of us thought this bubbly was as good as any we’d had on that day; it was truly fabulous; this is the 5th bottle I’ve had and all have been really good, but this one took it to another level; it was super rich and creamy, full bodied and yet had so much finesse and tons of sophistication; following its medium yellow color came aromas of honeyed lemon zest which continued on to be joined by ginger and spice laden citrus, apple and pear; a huge hit of spice finished it off nicely; of all of the attributes this had, it was its power, mouthfeel and balance that stood out.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2385 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:37 am From a thread to be posted in a few days:

2002 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLESIME- most of us who participated in a dinner had attended a champagne party the previous day where 12 fabulous champagnes were opened with 08` and 09` Cristal, 95` Charles Heidsieck Brut de Millenaires, 02` Bollinger Grande Annee, 99` Philipponnat Reserve Millesime, 06` Egly-Ouriet Brut Millesime and many other winners were poured; amazingly, many of us thought this bubbly was as good as any we’d had on that day; it was truly fabulous; this is the 5th bottle I’ve had and all have been really good, but this one took it to another level; it was super rich and creamy, full bodied and yet had so much finesse and tons of sophistication; following its medium yellow color came aromas of honeyed lemon zest which continued on to be joined by ginger and spice laden citrus, apple and pear; a huge hit of spice finished it off nicely; of all of the attributes this had, it was its power, mouthfeel and balance that stood out.

Cheers,
Blake
I recently backfilled a six-pack of the '08 version of the LP, based on your recommendation.
Thanks!!!

CT - WST

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2386 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Some friends brought us bottle of Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé.

Here's a little history on me and Billecart rose before I get to the note: back when I was first getting into champagne, it seemed like every time I mentioned a rose sparkler, the person with whom I was speaking would ask "have you tried Billecart's rose?" So I tried it a few times. I could find nothing whatsoever to spark the kind of fandom I was observing, except maybe that it was easy to find and not that expensive.

But it continued - "have you tried Billecart?" came up so often that it became a joke in our house. Now, just randomly, when we drink a rose champagne, Jonathan will say "this is good, but have you tried Billecart?????"

So back to the bottle our friends left us. We were looking for something to open after dinner last night, and this happened to be at temp, so we popped it. Yep. Every bit as generic and boring as I remembered. Correct, no faults, just nothing of interest at all. We each had a glass before deciding the calories weren't worth it, and went to look for something else. Yeah....I've tried Billecart.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2387 Post by alan weinberg »

Warren Taranow wrote: September 14th, 2021, 1:59 pmI recently backfilled a six-pack of the '08 version of the LP, based on your recommendation.
Thanks!!!
so did I, moments ago . . .

Dan Sch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2388 Post by Dan Sch »

We had a Falmet Brut Nature last night… 2011 fruit disgorged in 2014 with 0g dosage.

I find these intensely pretty and super satisfying. The acid is screaming, the fruits tangy…but the time in bottle softens it all just enough to be this floral/red fruited, intense but ethereal champagne. I really enjoyed my 4 bottles of this one!
Dan Schoeff

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2389 Post by K John Joseph »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 17th, 2021, 3:55 am Some friends brought us bottle of Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé.

Here's a little history on me and Billecart rose before I get to the note: back when I was first getting into champagne, it seemed like every time I mentioned a rose sparkler, the person with whom I was speaking would ask "have you tried Billecart's rose?" So I tried it a few times. I could find nothing whatsoever to spark the kind of fandom I was observing, except maybe that it was easy to find and not that expensive.

But it continued - "have you tried Billecart?" came up so often that it became a joke in our house. Now, just randomly, when we drink a rose champagne, Jonathan will say "this is good, but have you tried Billecart?????"

So back to the bottle our friends left us. We were looking for something to open after dinner last night, and this happened to be at temp, so we popped it. Yep. Every bit as generic and boring as I remembered. Correct, no faults, just nothing of interest at all. We each had a glass before deciding the calories weren't worth it, and went to look for something else. Yeah....I've tried Billecart.
I do not think it is good value, and think that it is on the more lush and dosage is fairly high in the 8g range which, when adding some still pinot, leads to a fairly sweet tasting rose. I don't mind it if served it, though. But I'd guess for most of the folks who are champagne nutters on this thread, many of whom pursue wines with lower dosages, especially in rose, the BS Rose is a bit flabby. With all of that said, get it fridge cold and it's a pretty nice drink on a hot summer day.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2390 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

K John Joseph wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:43 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 17th, 2021, 3:55 am Some friends brought us bottle of Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé.

I do not think it is good value, and think that it is on the more lush and dosage is fairly high in the 8g range which, when adding some still pinot, leads to a fairly sweet tasting rose. I don't mind it if served it, though. But I'd guess for most of the folks who are champagne nutters on this thread, many of whom pursue wines with lower dosages, especially in rose, the BS Rose is a bit flabby. With all of that said, get it fridge cold and it's a pretty nice drink on a hot summer day.
I'm not ready to jump on the blame-the-dosage bandwagon here, though that's a well-trodden road for sure. I'm personally not prejudiced against any level of dosage, so long as the wine is balanced, which some champagnes are at 8g/L, and beautifully so. I have never felt the Billecart rose is noticeably unbalanced or flabby. Just boring and without character or much complexity. Like I eluded to in my note - I find little to criticize, but also little to praise, which isn't enough for me given the plethora of exciting rose champagne out there.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2391 Post by Warren Taranow »

I was going to wait a few years to open one of these, but some of you enablers have been posting glowing reports. I impulsively broke down and opened one. Less oomph than the ‘06, but more class and structure. It will be an amazing Comtes.

CT - WST

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2392 Post by alan weinberg »

Warren Taranow wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:53 pm I was going to wait a few years to open one of these, but some of you enablers have been posting glowing reports. I impulsively broke down and opened one. Less oomph than the ‘06, but more class and structure. It will be an amazing Comtes.
can’t keep my hands off it. 4 amazing bottles so far.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2393 Post by Joshua Kates »

Drank a Vincent LeGras Blanc de Blanc St Vincent 2008 the other night. Not cheap (from Envoyer) but exceptional. Lovely balance, long complex finish, distinctive minerality. I had sort of forgotten I had purchased it and needed some champers (to go with caviar) and this totally did the job.
Neils Bohr had a horseshoe over the door to his country house. A visiting student said to him: "you don't believe in that, do you?" Bohr replied, "of course not," and added, "but you don't have to believe in it for it to work."

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2394 Post by Joshua Kates »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 17th, 2021, 1:35 pm
K John Joseph wrote: September 17th, 2021, 11:43 am

I'm not ready to jump on the blame-the-dosage bandwagon here, though that's a well-trodden road for sure. I'm personally not prejudiced against any level of dosage, so long as the wine is balanced, which some champagnes are at 8g/L, and beautifully so. I have never felt the Billecart rose is noticeably unbalanced or flabby. Just boring and without character or much complexity. Like I eluded to in my note - I find little to criticize, but also little to praise, which isn't enough for me given the plethora of exciting rose champagne out there.
I thanked but actually meant to quote, since I have to disagree with Sarah here. In truth, I've had a range of experiences with B-S Rosé. and sometimes it can be undistinguished. But when it's on, those sneaky pinot notes, long finish, and indeed good balance, win me over. Pricewise, it also varies; I source for <$60, but it cab be priced as high as $80 and beyond.
Neils Bohr had a horseshoe over the door to his country house. A visiting student said to him: "you don't believe in that, do you?" Bohr replied, "of course not," and added, "but you don't have to believe in it for it to work."

Andrew M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2395 Post by Andrew M »

re: 08 CDC - not a deal by any means, but Envoyer has 6 bottles and 2 mags in stock, presumably part of an offer in the near future. Checked WS worldwide shipping on the mag and EFW ends up having the lowest available price, for the moment…
Last edited by Andrew M on September 18th, 2021, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2396 Post by Andrew K. »

I had 2012 Charles Heidsieck Brut Millesime last night. Good but not sure if it's worth the price tag.
к𝓁ย𝐠

ErlendFA

#2397 Post by ErlendFA »

André Clouet V6 Expérience

Very agreeable. Good value I would say!
Erlend @ntonsen

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2398 Post by Warren Taranow »

ErlendFA wrote: September 18th, 2021, 3:50 pm André Clouet V6 Expérience

Very agreeable. Good value I would say!
Clouet has impressed me, although I haven’t had the V6. I buy and cellar the Cuvèe 1911. Great under the radar producer.

CT - WST

Jen M a s o n
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2399 Post by Jen M a s o n »

Lol I swear I have had the same experience and I just find it blah. But people always want to tell me about it..

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2400 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

A02514E3-0443-45E6-9C26-6A90A033386C.jpeg
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Return to “Wine Talk”