#2301 Post by Al Osterheld »

Which Charles Heidsieck?

-Al

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#2302 Post by Josh Grossman »

Recently opened a 2012 José Michel Special Club and the meunier stood out nicely (60/40 chard to meunier). I thought it was great for the price and is at a nice place now. Paired it with oysters.

Zachary Mancini

#2303 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Just bought 2 bottles of 12 Cristal. I have never had Cristal before, but want to open a 12 eventually just to see the style of wine. Would it be unfair to open it this early to see the style of the wine or could I get a fair assessment. Thanks!

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2304 Post by Blake Brown »

Zachary Mancini wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:35 am Just bought 2 bottles of 12 Cristal. I have never had Cristal before, but want to open a 12 eventually just to see the style of wine. Would it be unfair to open it this early to see the style of the wine or could I get a fair assessment. Thanks!
Although young, I say go for it re one bottle. It's good to see where they are early and then later on. It helps for knowing when these evolve to places that fit your palate preferences. Use a proper stem, not a flute, that provides aeration. Before going with the Riedel Sommelier, Zalto and Sophienwald champagne glasses, I use to use a Riedel Vinum Bordeaux glass.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Zachary Mancini

#2305 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Blake Brown wrote: August 21st, 2021, 11:10 am
Zachary Mancini wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:35 am Just bought 2 bottles of 12 Cristal. I have never had Cristal before, but want to open a 12 eventually just to see the style of wine. Would it be unfair to open it this early to see the style of the wine or could I get a fair assessment. Thanks!
Although young, I say go for it re one bottle. It's good to see where they are early and then later on. It helps for knowing when these evolve to places that fit your palate preferences. Use a proper stem, not a flute, that provides aeration. Before going with the Riedel Sommelier, Zalto and Sophienwald champagne glasses, I use to use a Riedel Vinum Bordeaux glass.
Sophienwald are amazing. I think u can only buy in 6 packs though.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2306 Post by CJ Beazley »

Hey, little help-
I bought a few Drappier brut nature, but when I was putting them away I noticed one of them is actually “Drappier Brut Nature Sans Ajout de Soufre” (bright red letters diagonally across the regular label) can anyone offer any advice on this bottle, should I open it sooner rather than later etc.?
It's C(raig)

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2307 Post by William Kelley »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: August 15th, 2021, 5:29 am
Al Osterheld wrote: August 14th, 2021, 10:54 am Nice wines (mostly). Note that the Ulysse Collin champagnes are all single vintage (denoted by a lot number on the back). The Bereche Reflet d'Antan is essentially a solera, I forget whether the base or disgorgement date is listed on the back.

-Al
Al - that's what I had always heard about Ulysse Collin wines, but looking at the reviews, most of them seem to include 50% or sometimes more reserve wine from the previous vintage. From William Kelley's note on the Maillons (2016), for example: "Disgorged in March 2020 with 2.4 grams per liter dosage, the NV Extra Brut Blanc de Noirs Les Maillons (2016) is based on the 2016 vintage, complemented by 50% reserve wines from 2015."

He makes similar notes on other versions of the Maillons and Pierrières.
Just saw this! Yes, Collin has been working hard to constitute a store of reserve wines, mostly maturing in foudres. This is easier for Maillons and Pierrières, his two largest production cuvées. He considers doing this as an essential next step to take the quality even higher, thinking that large stocks of reserve wines are one of the grandes marques' big advantages vis à vis most growers.
The Wine Advocate

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2308 Post by Al Osterheld »

I hadn't kept up with the evolution of his non vintage wines. I think they started out as single vintage wines, but I vaguely recall him stating that he wasn't labeling them as such because he wasn't committed to keeping them single vintage. Makes sense that he would change as he accumulated reserve wines. Wonder when the change was made.

-Al

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2309 Post by Blake Brown »

CJ Beazley wrote: August 21st, 2021, 2:28 pm Hey, little help-
I bought a few Drappier brut nature, but when I was putting them away I noticed one of them is actually “Drappier Brut Nature Sans Ajout de Soufre” (bright red letters diagonally across the regular label) can anyone offer any advice on this bottle, should I open it sooner rather than later etc.?
As the name implies, that champagne also has no sulfur as well as being no dosed as shown here: https://www.champagne-drappier.com/en/b ... ns-soufre/. My guess is that it would be better to open this one sooner. I sometimes forget that CO2 also helps to preserve and minimize the need for much sulfur to be added, if at all as in this case.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2310 Post by Warren Taranow »

Chartogne-Taillet Millèsime 2008.
I've found most of my 2008's are either young or in the earliest stage of their drinking windows. This was an exception. The wine seemed quite mature, maybe a little advanced. Rich and yeasty. My last bottle. I enjoyed it, but had I more, I'd drink up. Great Q/P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2311 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:52 pm Chartogne-Taillet Millèsime 2008.
I've found most of my 2008's are either young or in the earliest stage of their drinking windows. This was an exception. The wine seemed quite mature, maybe a little advanced. Rich and yeasty. My last bottle. I enjoyed it, but had I more, I'd drink up. Great Q/P
Just to remind, the surprising 2008 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLESIME is also drinking beautifully now as it has since out of the gate.
Napolean Bonaparte

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2312 Post by AD Northup »

2014 Vincent Charlot Vossenelles VV - A new producer for me picked up in a whim at a local shop. From vines planted in 1964. 11 months in oak, no fining or filtration, 4 g/l dosage. Disgorged September 2019, and the bottle notes it was a run of 300 bottles for New York Import .

Pale gold. Candied lemon and green apple nose. Rush of orchard fruit, but of good acid on the finish. The fruit lingers for a very long time immediately from the first sip. This one should evolve nicely and I’ll definitely search out more of Charlot’s wines.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

IG: adn.wine

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2002 Cristal
2019 Les Horees Aligote en Coulezain
1978 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

Zachary Mancini

#2313 Post by Zachary Mancini »

So I have 2 08 La grande dame, 2 07 Comtes, 2 08 Comtes, and 2 12 Cristal. I'm waiting on the release of the 12 DP. When I make my next purchase what should I be looking at? 13 Cristal? Thanks!

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2314 Post by Blake Brown »

Zachary Mancini wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:38 am So I have 2 08 La grande dame, 2 07 Comtes, 2 08 Comtes, and 2 12 Cristal. I'm waiting on the release of the 12 DP. When I make my next purchase what should I be looking at? 13 Cristal? Thanks!
You are doing great Zachary. Yes, do buy 13` Cristal and as with all of the others, wait. Another house to look at is Dom Ruinart. Also, consider top small growers like Pierre Peters Les Chetillons and Philipponnat Clos des Goisses in addition to the Grande Marques.
Napolean Bonaparte

Zachary Mancini

#2315 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Blake Brown wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:47 am
Zachary Mancini wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:38 am So I have 2 08 La grande dame, 2 07 Comtes, 2 08 Comtes, and 2 12 Cristal. I'm waiting on the release of the 12 DP. When I make my next purchase what should I be looking at? 13 Cristal? Thanks!
You are doing great Zachary. Yes, do buy 13` Cristal and as with all of the others, wait. Another house to look at is Dom Ruinart. Also, consider top small growers like Pierre Peters Les Chetillons and Philipponnat Clos des Goisses in addition to the Grande Marques.
Perfect! I heard the 07 Comtes is somewhat open to drink right now? I would love to open it with my parents and brothers over the holiday. Never had it before either.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2316 Post by Warren Taranow »

It's hard to give advice not knowing what you like. It looks like you're sticking to tête de cuvées, which is fine, although you'll miss some fine wines and bargains if you just swim in the deep end.
I buy Cristal and Comtes every vintage. You should also get Krug GC but be prepared to wait years before it is at peak. To me, that's the most glaring gap in your list. You should also consider grower champagne and rosés. I love the Egly-Ouriet Rosé (and most everything from that grower), and the Amour de Deutz Rosé. I also purchase Vilmart Coeur de Cuvée and their new Emotion rosé every vintage. I also get Pierre Peters Chetillons whenever I can. I've really grown to love Billecart Salmon Cuvée Nicolas Billecart. Their '02 is spectacular. Philipponnat Clos des Goisses can be a stunner, but needs more time than any extra-brut that I know.
I think André Clouet Cuvée 1911 is very underappreciated, as well as Laurent Perrier Grand Siécle.
If you like bold, pinot based wines, go for some Paul Bara. Ulysse Collin, Marc Hébrart, Ruinart vintage BdB (wow!), I could go on all day.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Zachary Mancini

#2317 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am
It's hard to give advice not knowing what you like. It looks like you're sticking to tête de cuvées, which is fine, although you'll miss some fine wines and bargains if you just swim in the deep end.
I buy Cristal and Comtes every vintage. You should also get Krug GC but be prepared to wait years before it is at peak. To me, that's the most glaring gap in your list. You should also consider grower champagne and rosés. I love the Egly-Ouriet Rosé (and most everything from that grower), and the Amour de Deutz Rosé. I also purchase Vilmart Coeur de Cuvée and their new Emotion rosé every vintage. I also get Pierre Peters Chetillons whenever I can. I've really grown to love Billecart Salmon Cuvée Nicolas Billecart. Their '02 is spectacular. Philipponnat Clos des Goisses can be a stunner, but needs more time than any extra-brut that I know.
I think André Clouet Cuvée 1911 is very underappreciated, as well as Laurent Perrier Grand Siécle.
If you like bold, pinot based wines, go for some Paul Bara. Ulysse Collin, Marc Hébrart, Ruinart vintage BdB (wow!), I could go on all day.

Cheers,
Warren
Thanks! I just started collecting Champagne, so I'm trying to stick with the Grand Marques that most people enjoy on this board first!

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2318 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake,
I was typing those as you posted!
WT

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2319 Post by Blake Brown »

Zachary Mancini wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:49 am
Perfect! I heard the 07 Comtes is somewhat open to drink right now? I would love to open it with my parents and brothers over the holiday. Never had it before either.
Go for it and enjoy and report back.
Napolean Bonaparte

Zachary Mancini

#2320 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Blake Brown wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:15 am

I definitely will!

J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2321 Post by J.Vizuete »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:52 pm Chartogne-Taillet Millèsime 2008.
2B23089A-03C4-4C43-B600-872ECC45D82F.jpeg
We’re just going to let Warren get away with the balance on that bottle?

You know what, go for it, the more precarious the better!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J0HN
CT: jviz
WOTY 2021: 1985 Bollinger VVF, 2017 Joly Coulée de Serrant, 1982 Latour

Zachary Mancini

#2322 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Blake Brown wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:15 am

How is the Bollinger La Grande Annee 2012? Saw what seems to be like decent prices on it. I have also heard Cedric Bouchard Champagne is excellent. But I don't see many options on wine searcher for it.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2323 Post by Jim Stewart »

CJ Beazley wrote: August 21st, 2021, 2:28 pm Hey, little help-
If you had a few interested folks to join you, why not open this unsulphured bottle at the same time as one of the others. The old “compare and contast” thing. Either way, enjoy!
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2324 Post by Dennis Atick »

This Seleque was brought by a friend to our dinner last night and it was fantastic. Very vinous, herbal, almost pet nat-ish, with a long, long finish. Like a very good rose that happens to have bubbles.
IMG-4190.jpg
@decaturwinedude

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2325 Post by AD Northup »

Dennis Atick wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 1:56 pm This Seleque was brought by a friend to our dinner last night and it was fantastic. Very vinous, herbal, almost pet nat-ish, with a long, long finish. Like a very good rose that happens to have bubbles.
IMG-4190.jpg
Is it really that dark or is the lighting causing that?

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2002 Cristal

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2326 Post by Dennis Atick »

AD Northup wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 2:00 pm
Dennis Atick wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 1:56 pm This Seleque was brought by a friend to our dinner last night and it was fantastic. Very vinous, herbal, almost pet nat-ish, with a long, long finish. Like a very good rose that happens to have bubbles.
IMG-4190.jpg
Is it really that dark or is the lighting causing that?
maybe a little of both. It was quite a deep, rich red color.
@decaturwinedude

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2327 Post by Philip G »

William Gladstone wrote: June 26th, 2021, 4:02 pm
alan weinberg wrote: June 5th, 2021, 10:21 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: June 5th, 2021, 6:43 am A truly lovely bottle of 2008 Drappier Grande Sendree last night. I searched this thread and found very few Drappier notes. I wonder why it doesn't get more attention? This was beautiful.
  • 2008 Drappier Champagne Grande Sendrée - France, Champagne (6/4/2021)
    First out of a case sourced in France, sitting in the cellar without moving after hitting our shores in 2019. Served in Lehmann Jamesse Prestige Grand Champagne stems. The first sniff had me riveted - beautiful and enticing, effortless harmony of citrus, fresh apricot, ripe granny smith apple with the skin, and some toasted walnut notes. In the mouth, the bubbles were delicate and lively, with plenty of taught acidity driving a wine of great energy. I loved the interplay of youthful mineral-driven character and some more broad and toasty notes, with a warm honey kiss. It needed a little time to get going fully, starting out a bit subdued. Not tight or shut down, but a little bit straight forward at first - all driving in one lane, JR said - then opened up and spread out, while also becoming more delineated. Very balanced and elegant, but with sizeable bones. My only criticism is the finish was a little shorter than I'd like, which will probably improve with some more time. Truly a beautiful champagne that doesn't seem to get much love in my circles.
Posted from CellarTracker
had a 96 Drappier Carte d’Or a few months back and loved it. First Drappier and a lone bottle in the cellar. Made a note to find more. Thanks for the reminder.
I think it is on Wine Advocate site, the Champagne critic said "every time I drink this Cuvee I wonder why the Grand Sendree is not on the list of the very top"
We import Drappier directly from the Chateaux we have several vintages of the Rosé and Blanc, the 2008 is now only available in Magnums. And we will be loading up in our next container. Both the Blanc and Rosé are amazing and the '96 Carte d'Or is amazing..
We opened a bottle of 2010 Drappier Grand Sendree this weekend and really enjoyed it. Similar character as the 20008 note above. Saline and citrus on the nose with a bit of something which we settled on lychee nut but with a touch of vanilla maybe. Toasty in the mouth with lemon custard and dried apricots.
Chip G@@d

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2328 Post by Warren Taranow »

Another visit with a 2008 tonight. This time, Philipponnat’s BdN. I know their Clos des Goisses needs a lot of time, but apparently this does too. It’s a long way from peaking. It needed lots of air and some warmth to open up. We like it now, but we’ll love it after several more years.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2329 Post by K John Joseph »

2008 Billecart Salmon Cuvee Elizabeth Salmon - My wife and I were married in 2008 and I am very pleased to have such a great anniversary vintage. I'm embarrassed to say it did not dawn on me until a few days ago when planning which bottle to pop. My wife's middle name is Elizabeth, so this was a fun fit. This is really young. A lovely sun kissed peachy color, and the nose fits. An immediate and expressive pop of ripe peach and strawberry, with ginger and spice. Palate shows a nice leesy quality (11 years on lees) but the leesy note is perfectly integrated on account of crisp acidity and some nice chalky minerality. It's all there. This is a splendid wine that will age 20 years with ease. Very intense. One of the better Roses I've had in the past few years. Excellent. in that 96 range with room to improve.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2330 Post by Warren Taranow »

K John Joseph wrote: August 24th, 2021, 2:53 pm 2008 Billecart Salmon Cuvee Elizabeth Salmon - My wife and I were married in 2008 and I am very pleased to have such a great anniversary vintage. I'm embarrassed to say it did not dawn on me until a few days ago when planning which bottle to pop. My wife's middle name is Elizabeth, so this was a fun fit. This is really young. A lovely sun kissed peachy color, and the nose fits. An immediate and expressive pop of ripe peach and strawberry, with ginger and spice. Palate shows a nice leesy quality (11 years on lees) but the leesy note is perfectly integrated on account of crisp acidity and some nice chalky minerality. It's all there. This is a splendid wine that will age 20 years with ease. Very intense. One of the better Roses I've had in the past few years. Excellent. in that 96 range with room to improve.
John,
Happy Anniversary! 2008 is a great vintage for champagne and marriage! Ours is 1996, and our anniversary is tomorrow. We didn’t catch the champagne bug until recently, but I have some nice 96’s teed up for this week. I have cases of ‘96 Calon Segur, which we’ve opened every anniversary since 2003, but Marybeth has mostly lost interest in Bdx.
I need to backfill some of the longer lived champagnes from 1996.
I’ve lately been loving everything I’ve tried from Billecart Salmon. I own a few of the ‘07 And ‘08 Cuvèe Elisabeth Salmon, but have yet to open one.
Stay tuned for my notes tomorrow night on our anniversary pops.

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2331 Post by Warren Taranow »

A very nice 2013 Bereche Campania Remensis Rosè. Artisanal, although not truly a grower champagne. Very dry, with sharp acidic cut, yet it stays balanced, elegant and delicious. Green Apple, blood orange, strawberry and herbs.

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2332 Post by Blake Brown »

K John Joseph wrote: August 24th, 2021, 2:53 pm 2008 Billecart Salmon Cuvee Elizabeth Salmon - My wife and I were married in 2008 and I am very pleased to have such a great anniversary vintage. I'm embarrassed to say it did not dawn on me until a few days ago when planning which bottle to pop. My wife's middle name is Elizabeth, so this was a fun fit. This is really young. A lovely sun kissed peachy color, and the nose fits. An immediate and expressive pop of ripe peach and strawberry, with ginger and spice. Palate shows a nice leesy quality (11 years on lees) but the leesy note is perfectly integrated on account of crisp acidity and some nice chalky minerality. It's all there. This is a splendid wine that will age 20 years with ease. Very intense. One of the better Roses I've had in the past few years. Excellent. in that 96 range with room to improve.
Excellent. Nice notes. Congrats on a righteous celebration of your anniversary.
Napolean Bonaparte

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2333 Post by K John Joseph »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 24th, 2021, 9:43 pm A very nice 2013 Bereche Campania Remensis Rosè. Artisanal, although not truly a grower champagne. Very dry, with sharp acidic cut, yet it stays balanced, elegant and delicious. Green Apple, blood orange, strawberry and herbs.
I am a big fan of Bereche. My takeaway is almost always richness with cut. Good stuff!
J0hn-J-K4ne

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2334 Post by CJ Beazley »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 24th, 2021, 9:43 pm A very nice 2013 Bereche Campania Remensis Rosè. Artisanal, although not truly a grower champagne. Very dry, with sharp acidic cut, yet it stays balanced, elegant and delicious. Green Apple, blood orange, strawberry and herbs.
Man what a stark contrast in color between this and Dennis’s Seleque photo upthread-
It's C(raig)

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2335 Post by AD Northup »

Bertrand-Delespierre Enfant de la Montagne - found on the shelves of my local state store in PA, apparently imported by our very own Dan Kravitz. A really nice bottle of NV grower bubbly, loads of acid (disgorged this February), but once that settles down there’s a nice Granny Smith apple note mixed with some richness. Given that it only ran me $40, I’m quite happy.

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2002 Cristal

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2336 Post by Warren Taranow »

We opened a pearl from the cellar for our 25th anniversary tonight. Out of a magnum, it’s held up as well as our marriage.

CT - WST

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2337 Post by K John Joseph »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 25th, 2021, 9:44 pm We opened a pearl from the cellar for our 25th anniversary tonight. Out of a magnum, it’s held up as well as our marriage.
Glorious on all counts!
J0hn-J-K4ne

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2338 Post by Blake Brown »

Part of another thread to be posted:

NV KRUG GRANDE CUVEE 163 Edition- 750 ml; I took this bottle purchased 5 years ago to compare with the numerous half bottles from the same edition I’ve had recently; it is comprised of 73% 2007 for its base, 145 wines in all from 12 different vintages make up the remainder, 90` being the oldest; the blend is 37% Pinot Noir, 32% Chardonnay, 31% Pinot Meunier and it has a dosage of 6 g/l; I actually think the last 375 was more expressive and in a better place; this bottle seemed to have lost some of its power, depth and complexity; medium bodied, it gave stone fruit notes mainly consisting of peach, apricot and nectarine with honeysuckle and brioche in the background; it was decent enough, but in comparison, it just does not reach the extent of other bottles regardless of format size.

IMG_0828.jpeg
2005 TAITTTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- I`ve had many of this vintage and this bottle was very similar to previous ones; it’s a much lighter version of the stellar 06` in that it has milder citrus notes of lemon and lime and less body and weight; it’s very pleasant and has lots of elegance and charm; the absence of the toasty brioche was also noticeable; I keep having to remind myself to just enjoy this vintage for what it has to give and quit comparing it to others.

thumbnail_IMG_9717.jpg
NV AGRAPART TERRIORS EXTRA BRUT GRAND CRU BLANC de BLANC AVIZE in magnum- this delightful bubbly had a bit of sweetness to accompany the fruitiness of the lemon, lime and grapefruit; it was medium bodied, had a light frothy mousse and bright acidity.

thumbnail_IMG_9722.jpg

2002 DE SAINT GALL ORPALE GRAND CRU BLANC de BLANC- dosage 7 gpl; honeyed citrus notes flourish in this fine bubbly that tastes somewhat dry; grapefruit and lemon are most distinct and a nice accent of ginger and a late arrival of white peach seal the deal.
thumbnail_IMG_9723.jpg
2008 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLELSIME- I’ve enjoyed many a bottle of this since it was first released; this bottle had a different profile than those before it; it offered fresh floral aromas along with some grassy, herbaceous, Sauvignon Blanc like notes in the nose; on the palate, citrus especially lemon comes in strong while being delivered in a creamy mousse; our bottle was quite chilled and the flavors were somewhat muted; so, it can be assumed it would have been much more expressive with time which we did not have on this night with about 25 wines in all.

thumbnail_IMG_9725.jpg
Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2339 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: August 27th, 2021, 9:01 am Part of another thread to be posted:

Cheers,
Blake
That's quite a night. I always wonder if the Krug GC are better in off vintages than on, based on the deep reserves. My limited experience with old bottles is they're all very similar after 15-20 years, which is when I like them most.

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2340 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 27th, 2021, 11:00 am
Blake Brown wrote: August 27th, 2021, 9:01 am Part of another thread to be posted:

Cheers,
Blake
That's quite a night. I always wonder if the Krug GC are better in off vintages than on, based on the deep reserves. My limited experience with old bottles is they're all very similar after 15-20 years, which is when I like them most.
Point #1: It was quite a night. After these 5, we had 3 white Burgundy and 11 red wines featuring varietals with Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot and 2 dessert wines.

Point #2:
I really have not paid that much attention to all of the editions other than to know that the 164eme is my fav of the last 8 or so and it is based on 08`. I do not know the percentage. It does have 48% Pinot Noir and only 17% Pinot Meunier. The one above had 73% from 07`, not condsidered to be all that great of a vintage, and with only 27% remaining for the blend, it seems that 07` is doing a lot better than expected.

Point #3:
My experience has been that most champagnes at age 15-20 have more oxidative notes which for me translates into butterscotch, caramel, honeysuckle and when majorly advanced, nutty, sherry like notes. We differ here Warren in that I prefer the more primary flavors and find more differences until they get more monochromatic and at that point, a lot of different champagnes are closer to being similar and have lost much of their individuality. Having said that, I do find a sweet spot that arrives just before that, the 02` Krug is in that place now as are 02` Cristal and others. The 02` Cristal Late Release is just too much for my palate preferences.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2341 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: August 27th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Cheers,
Blake

My experience has been that most champagnes at age 15-20 have more oxidative notes which for me translates into butterscotch, caramel, honeysuckle and when majorly advanced, nutty, sherry like notes. We differ here Warren in that I prefer the more primary flavors and find more differences until they get more monochromatic and at that point, a lot of different champagnes are closer to being similar and have lost much of their individuality. Having said that, I do find a sweet spot that arrives just before that, the 02` Krug is in that place now as are 02` Cristal and others. The 02` Cristal Late Release is just too much for my palate preferences.
Blake
I thought the ‘96 Comte out of a magnum was still too young. I do agree about some though. I had some ‘96 Henriot, Pol Rogers and others that were very past prime and had similar oxidized cider notes. I don’t think Krug at 20 tastes anything like those or other geriatric champagnes. For certain wines, 15 and sometimes 20 seems to be my sweet spot. We still have more preferences in common than in conflict.
Cheers!
Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2342 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 27th, 2021, 10:14 pm
Blake Brown wrote: August 27th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Blake
I thought the ‘96 Comte out of a magnum was still too young. I do agree about some though. I had some ‘96 Henriot, Pol Rogers and others that were very past prime and had similar oxidized cider notes. I don’t think Krug at 20 tastes anything like those or other geriatric champagnes. For certain wines, 15 and sometimes 20 seems to be my sweet spot. We still have more preferences in common than in conflict.
Cheers!
Warren
The operative word here is MAGNUM. As you know Warren, almost all champagne houses store their reserves in magnums and it is obvious as to why- they age better and balance out more evenly.

And I agree, we do have similar preferences in many ways and with certain house styles.

How wonderful it is to be in a position to even have a dialogue about this and to be able to sample the special aura of all things champagne.

Cheers
Napolean Bonaparte

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2343 Post by Ian Alper »

Vilmart Cuvee Rubis -simple but just delicious. It had a purity and brightness to it that I really loved. This was disgorged 10/18. I went to reload but only found other disgorgements. Anyone have an opinion if they will perform as well? In particular the 17?

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2344 Post by Warren Taranow »

2008 Dom Perignon
Spending our first weekend in Canada (Whistler) since Corona changed the world. Popped this in the room on a rainy day.
These were delicious upon release, then shut down for a while. They seem to be entering another nice drinking window. No harm in opening one now, but they’ll be better in years to come. Lemon and orange cream, the sweet brioche, flinty-mineral oyster shells. A nice mouthfeel with a long finish and a perfect bead.
We had a ‘96 for our anniversary a couple of weeks ago. It was this, plus coffee and hazelnut notes. I can’t wait to revisit the ‘08 in a decade.
I’ve heard good things about the just release 2012. It is remarkable they achieve such quality with such high production.

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2345 Post by Warren Taranow »

2009 Roederer Cristal. This has been stunning since its release, and each subsequent bottle raises the bar.

CT - WST

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2346 Post by MattG »

2007 Taittinger CdC

First CDC I’ve tasted. Exciting to taste this over an hour and see how it developed. The finish was astonishingly long and flavorful. Loved the citrus flavors that dominate. Finished 2/3 of the bottle, put the remainder under closure and popped it in the fridge.

Surprisingly, on day 2, it was a wine without character. There were bubbles still, but the flavors were flat.
Hints of citrus and minerality, but no lingering finish.

This was the worst day 2 performance of any champagne I’ve drunk this year. All the others were stored in the same way. Not familiar enough with Taittinger CDC or 07 as a vintage to speculate on whether this is expected. Day 1 was delicious. Maybe even good enough for a $140 champagne. If I buy more, I’ll drink it all on day 1
CB419046-86C4-40B9-9843-AB59AB1D183A.jpeg
G@|’$1n

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2347 Post by alan weinberg »

29865654-B023-4091-99E4-D576C3196E20.jpeg
last night with Jerry, stunning meal at n/naka

So good the pictures came out twice.
BBM 2011, Salon 1996, Bouchard 2008

JViolini

#2348 Post by JViolini »

Been in the mood lately

NV Domaine Nowack Les Bauchets Extra Brut
Lemon lime sorbet, roasted nuts, salt water taffy, orchids
2015 Base, Dec 2019 DG, 2g/l dosage
100% Pinot Noir, 1605 Bottles

NV Suenen Grand Cru Oiry BdB Extra Brut
High acid, ripe pear, citrus pith
2015 Base, Apr 19 DG, 2g/l

NV Chartogne-Taillet Cuvee Sainte Anne
Drinking as I type this - juicy lemon drop, high acid, oyster shells on the tongue
Mostly 2018, Feb 21 DG, 5g/L - both Pinots & Chard

Other sparklings

2016 Soter Mineral Springs Brut Rosé
Personally I was let down for the price and compared to the 2015 which I liked significantly more. It felt a little “flat”. Bubbles were fine and had cranberry juice, strawberry soda, grapefruit but it needed a jolt or punch of acid. I could see it pairing with spring summer salads etc

2018 Odonata Hook Vineyard SLH Sparkling Grenache Rouge
A dark rose I guess, not a sappy - long maceration
Raspberry, sourdough, plum - tart with nice acid
Justin (itb)

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2349 Post by Warren Taranow »

Reposted from its own well deserved thread.
We finished our tête de cuvée holiday weekend with an outstanding bottle of 2004 Krug Vintage Brut. This was our favorite of the bunch, although it had the most age by 4 years. It is easily one of my WsOTY. I’ll rethink my current strategy of buying only the MV GC and foregoing the Vintage Brut.

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2350 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

Pierre Peters.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com