Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#2701 Post by Warren Taranow »

Extracted from another thread; dinner last night:

1998 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Rare
This was an outstanding magnum. Served too cold, it blossomed with air and warmth. Less doughy and exuberant than the 2002, but possessing more charm and elegance. A kaleidoscope of scents and flavors; citrus, apricot, brioche, fruit blossoms and more. A little reduction. This will last for decades.
Rare.jpeg
2006 Philipponnat Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée 1522 Rosé Brut
Sabered for fun. My last bottle of this, and another good one. Savory, with strawberry, kumquat, and spice. Most wines from Philipponnat seem to mature slowly, but this one was primed.
1522.jpeg
NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru VP
I love the VP Vieillissement Prolongé. Intense, and both zesty and creamy. Blood orange and other smokey citrus. The 82 months on the lees shows in the nose and palate, and the oak aging on the texture. I love the mouthfeel of this wine. In fact, I love almost everything about this wine.
VP.jpeg
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
I really love this cuvee. The '06 doesn't quite reach the current heights of the '02, but maybe it will in time. A delicious, energetic, deep champagne. The last sip was the best, a sign of good things to come.
06 Nicolas.jpeg
Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2702 Post by K John Joseph »

Warren Taranow wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm Extracted from another thread; dinner last night:

1998 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Rare
This was an outstanding magnum. Served too cold, it blossomed with air and warmth. Less doughy and exuberant than the 2002, but possessing more charm and elegance. A kaleidoscope of scents and flavors; citrus, apricot, brioche, fruit blossoms and more. A little reduction. This will last for decades.Rare.

2006 Philipponnat Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée 1522 Rosé Brut
Sabered for fun. My last bottle of this, and another good one. Savory, with strawberry, kumquat, and spice. Most wines from Philipponnat seem to mature slowly, but this one was primed.1522.

NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru VP
I love the VP Vieillissement Prolongé. Intense, and both zesty and creamy. Blood orange and other smokey citrus. The 82 months on the lees shows in the nose and palate, and the oak aging on the texture. I love the mouthfeel of this wine. In fact, I love almost everything about this wine.VP.

2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
I really love this cuvee. The '06 doesn't quite reach the current heights of the '02, but maybe it will in time. A delicious, energetic, deep champagne. The last sip was the best, a sign of good things to come. 06

Cheers!
This is a really beautiful lineup of champagnes. I first had the EO VP either this year or last year and plowed through a three pack. Delicious wine.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2703 Post by K John Joseph »

Taittinger Prelude Grand Crus a 50-50 chard pinot blend of first press juice from Taittinger's top grand cru vineyards, according to Taittinger, that sees 5 years aging on lees before release. I had this at a restaurant with somewhat abusive pricing, but this was really pretty darn delicious. Lovely balance across the board, though I'm guessing the dosage here is in the 9-10g/l range as this is in the slightly sweeter, richer range of what I usually drink, though that's by no means a bad thing. It has a lovely combination of acidity and minerality, but also of lemon curd, pear tart, spice, honeysuckle, and yeastiness. It is a lovely profile of fruits and yeasty leesy notes, with enough acid and citric notes to keep things fresh enough. It's not Comtes by any stretch of the imagination, but it was certainly enjoyable.

FOR A MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION

What bubbles are you champagne gangsters going to open for Thanksgiving?
J0hn-J-K4ne

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2704 Post by CJ Beazley »

Jacquesson, either 740, 41, or 42-I’m open to suggestions
It's C(raig)

Steve Costigan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2705 Post by Steve Costigan »

Warren Taranow wrote: November 13th, 2021, 8:17 am 1999 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée champagne.gif

My last three of these were exceptional, as was this bottle.

It's mature but vibrant. The cork extracted with a nice "pshh", and the bead was still lively. Intoxication scents and flavors included yeasty lemon and orchard fruit, and a beautiful caramel coffee note. It had that signature Vilmart luscious mouthfeel.
I'm lucky to cellar a lot of CdC from other vintages, but a little sad to see this one go; my last bottle of '99.
Would you care to comment on the ideal drinking window for Coeur. du Cuvee? I loaded up on 2011s and 2012s and I’m pretty inexperienced in this area. Gracias.
“I’ve never had a wine that had too much oak”

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2706 Post by Blake Brown »

K John Joseph wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:46 am FOR A MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION

2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne- it will be bottle #65, but more importantly, my wife`s birthday and her fav.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Jayson Cohen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2707 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Steve Costigan wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:56 am
Warren Taranow wrote: November 13th, 2021, 8:17 am 1999 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée champagne.gif

My last three of these were exceptional, as was this bottle.

It's mature but vibrant. The cork extracted with a nice "pshh", and the bead was still lively. Intoxication scents and flavors included yeasty lemon and orchard fruit, and a beautiful caramel coffee note. It had that signature Vilmart luscious mouthfeel.
I'm lucky to cellar a lot of CdC from other vintages, but a little sad to see this one go; my last bottle of '99.
Would you care to comment on the ideal drinking window for Coeur. du Cuvee? I loaded up on 2011s and 2012s and I’m pretty inexperienced in this area. Gracias.
2011, now and for the next 10 years. 2012 needs some time IMO. It’s very good but was very tight when I had it in January.

joejolesch

#2708 Post by joejolesch »

K John Joseph wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:46 am
FOR A MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION

Thinking ‘08 Delamotte bdb, or if everyone is already toasty, a magnum of Phillippe Prié Tradition Brut.
2021 WOTY - 2018 W&M Shifflett Cab, 2014 Roy Piper

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2709 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Blake Brown wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:58 am
K John Joseph wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:46 am FOR A MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION

2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne- it will be bottle #65, but more importantly, my wife`s birthday and her fav.
As that is my second largest holding, I can confirm for you (as if you did not already know) that your wife has very good taste. champagne.gif

JBrochu
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2710 Post by JBrochu »

FYI, regarding recent talk about the 2002 Billecart-Salmon Nicolas Francois Billecart Vintage Brut, JJB has about 24 bottles of these available on pre-arrival bases. (Longer than normal pre-arrival for them, estimated to arrive Oct 2022, but they are usually earlier then the estimate in my experience.) I grabbed 3 bottles based on the recent praise in this thread, at a couple bucks over the CT average cost with PC pricing.
J@hn

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2711 Post by AD Northup »

• 2019 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine - France, Champagne (11/23/2021)
    Slightest pink tint to the wine. PnP, loads of fruit on the nose. The classic Bouchard signature of long evolving fruit over the tongue, so rich and vibrant. Perfectly balanced acid on the finish. The 2019 is showing it’s youth a bit more than other recent vintages when first released, not quite austere, but a bit more wound up. Still delicious, probably best to give it a year or two minimum at a minimum, a bit more if you can.
Posted from CellarTracker
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

IG: adn.wine

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2002 Cristal
2019 Les Horees Aligote en Coulezain
1978 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2712 Post by K John Joseph »

CJ Beazley wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:49 am Jacquesson, either 740, 41, or 42-I’m open to suggestions
YES. THOSE.

I've got an 08 Billecart Elizabeth Salmon, an 08 Taittinger Comtes, a 1999 Doquet Premier Cru COeur de Terroir Vertus, a Charles Heidsieck NV, and a Schramsberg 2012 Reserve. We'll be hosting my mom and dad for 4 evenings, so should rip through that pretty quick. I've got some random stuff for turkey day and steak night and all that. Some old rioja, a good Joguet, some burgs, a 20+ year old Insignia. My dad will bring some really nice Oregon pinot.

Supposedly my Mom is bringing some champagne too. We'll see what. She has some fun stuff, but mostly it's things I've gifted her that she's saving for some nice dinner. It drives me nuts. She loves champagne, they have money, and she won't spend anything on it. So when I gift her a nice bottle on a special occasion, she never drinks it because it's too nice for a random night. Mom, I bought this stuff for you so YOU don't feel bad about cranking it open on a bad day. To get her over the hump I just drop off stuff when I show up for dinner or pick up the kids. Hey, had this and thought you might want to try it. You should pop it tonight (some Herbrart or Larmandier Bernier or something she's not heard of that I know she'll enjoy). So we'll see what else plays. It'll be damn good regardless because it's Thanksgiving and I get to have my parents with us. Always a treat for me.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Stan Y.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2713 Post by Stan Y. »

NV Egly Brut Rose Grand Cru - first time in many years that I've had this, both taut and explosive on entry, tactile-chalky finish, with extreme length (my kids tried, and my daughter says "I still taste this 10 minutes later"). Distinct bug spray flavor in the finish seems more like an aroma that isn't, which to me is usually a nearly-unforgivable flaw, but is mostly forgiven this time. Really cool wine. October 2020 disgorgement, 62 months maturation on the lees.

IMG_6335.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S. Y @ t € s

Jayson Cohen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2714 Post by Jayson Cohen »

AD Northup wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 4:17 pm
  • 2019 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine - France, Champagne (11/23/2021)
    Slightest pink tint to the wine. PnP, loads of fruit on the nose. The classic Bouchard signature of long evolving fruit over the tongue, so rich and vibrant. Perfectly balanced acid on the finish. The 2019 is showing it’s youth a bit more than other recent vintages when first released, not quite austere, but a bit more wound up. Still delicious, probably best to give it a year or two minimum at a minimum, a bit more if you can.
So we had this last night, and I thought it was more open and slightly rounder and more upfront than the 2018, which I found had little more firmness on the midpalate. (Both very good and young.). I have a slight preference, now at least, for the 2018.

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2715 Post by AD Northup »

Jayson Cohen wrote: November 24th, 2021, 7:06 am
AD Northup wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 4:17 pm
So we had this last night, and I thought it was more open and slightly rounder and more upfront than the 2018, which I found had little more firmness on the midpalate. (Both very good and young.). I have a slight preference, now at least, for the 2018.
Very interesting, I definitely found 18 more open last time I tried it. The 17 I had a few weeks ago was totally shut down though. Either way I agree with your comment that of the last 3 vintages, I would drink 18 at the moment.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

IG: adn.wine

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2002 Cristal
2019 Les Horees Aligote en Coulezain
1978 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

B. Davies

#2716 Post by B. Davies »

Philipponnat Reserve Brut
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

B. Davies

#2717 Post by B. Davies »

Not many tasting notes on J Vineyards Cuvee 20 Brut... anyone have thoughts on this?
WSET III
Bill Davies

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2718 Post by Dennis Atick »

• NV Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Oiry Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (11/25/2021)
    17/20
    Vibrant golden. Tight liveky mousse. Pear, green apple. Tight. Needs some time to unwind. Air coaxes out more of a toasted brioche with citrus fruit and a drying finish. Bright acidity and minerality. Good, but might be better with a couple years to settle in to form.

@decaturwinedude

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2719 Post by John Glas »

Not Champagne but I have enjoyed the Roederer Anderson Valley for quite some time and each NV is different but this version is rocking and less than $20.00 on sale.
NV Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/25/2021)
This bottle is stellar. Bright acidity featuring lemon, lime, chalk, baked pie crust and floral notes. This might be one of the best bottles of this wine. 92 points (92 points)

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2720 Post by CJ Beazley »

Dennis Atick wrote: November 25th, 2021, 4:41 am
  • NV Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Oiry Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (11/25/2021)
    17/20
    Vibrant golden. Tight liveky mousse. Pear, green apple. Tight. Needs some time to unwind. Air coaxes out more of a toasted brioche with citrus fruit and a drying finish. Bright acidity and minerality. Good, but might be better with a couple years to settle in to form.

You got a scald on that chicken, looks amazing.
It's C(raig)

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2721 Post by Dennis Atick »

CJ Beazley wrote: November 25th, 2021, 5:48 am
You got a scald on that chicken, looks amazing.
[cheers.gif] Temp did get away from me a bit and I didn't have any corn starch for breading, but it worked out ok!
@decaturwinedude

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2722 Post by CJ Beazley »

Dennis, it’s a compliment not a comment on cooking temp, like “you got a scald on that wax job”
Let’s start the insanity
Disgorged 04-19 (date posted in honor of Franklin Delano Murray III)
It's C(raig)

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2723 Post by alan weinberg »

NV Henriot BdB.

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2724 Post by Warren Taranow »

Stan Y. wrote: November 24th, 2021, 5:00 am NV Egly Brut Rose Grand Cru - first time in many years that I've had this, both taut and explosive on entry, tactile-chalky finish, with extreme length (my kids tried, and my daughter says "I still taste this 10 minutes later"). Distinct bug spray flavor in the finish seems more like an aroma that isn't, which to me is usually a nearly-unforgivable flaw, but is mostly forgiven this time. Really cool wine. October 2020 disgorgement, 62 months maturation on the lees.

IMG_6335.JPG
Happy Thanksgiving Stan. That's one of my favorite rosé Champagnes. I've never noticed "bug spray"; hopefully you didn't plant a seed in my olfactory bulb.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2725 Post by Blake Brown »

The first part of notes for a grand evening:

My sweetie and I celebrated our 24th anniversary {2 days prior} and her birthday {the next day} by doing dinner at our beloved, go to special occasion or for any occasion like it’s Wednesday, restaurant, the Stonehouse located on the property of the lux resort, San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito.

As per our MO, we took a top champagne and a Burt Williams made Pinot Noir from the days our dear friend made his stellar Williams Selyem wines through the 1997 vintage.

While being seated at one of favorite 2 tops on the outdoor, upper deck patio and being served some of our favorite delectable dishes by one of our favorite servers, we enjoyed:

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- my rough estimate is this is my 65th bottle {including magnums} of this wondrous bubbly, 50+ from my cellar; and it had been a few months since the last bottle, so I was looking forward to seeing how this one would show as all have been stellar with one exception and that one was good, but more like the mild, light weight and still elegant 2005; our bottle was maybe the best one to date; it had everything from the nose through the tail; it was in perfect balance showcasing the toasty brioche notes that embellish the wondrous citrus fruit that is made up of lemon, lime and grapefruit along with accents of chalk, saline and spice; it had so much charm and finesse, yet so much body and depth and the most amazing thing was it was just as stupendous with the last taste as it was with the first and all the way through; we kept marveling how special it was and were thankful for all of the gifts this gave so generously; so appropriate on Thanksgiving eve.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Jayson Cohen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2726 Post by Jayson Cohen »

We just opened a nice biscuity gingery vibrant bottle of Diebolt Valois Cuvee Prestige for Thanksgiving.

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2727 Post by Warren Taranow »

.375 for dinner prep. 168 is really good from a small format bottle. It’s already showing some of the Krug toastiness I love in older bottles.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2728 Post by Warren Taranow »

Reposted from the Thanksgiving thread.
Okay, I had planned to open a 2011 Georges Descombes Morgon Vermont Vieilles with dinner tonight, but the pre-dinner Krug eme 168 half bottle was sofa king good, I changed the plan and opened this. It’s just entering an early outstanding drinking window; no harm in opening, but better with a few more years.

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2729 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: November 25th, 2021, 5:07 pm Reposted from the Thanksgiving thread.
Okay, I had planned to open a 2011 Georges Descombes Morgon Vermont Vieilles with dinner tonight, but the pre-dinner Krug eme 168 half bottle was sofa king good, I changed the plan and opened this. It’s just entering an early outstanding drinking window; no harm in opening, but better with a few more years.
Nice shift. Just coming around as you note. Happy Thanksgiving
Napolean Bonaparte

Yao C

#2730 Post by Yao C »

2008 Bruno Paillard Assemblage
Balances a warm, toasty, faintly honeyed richness with a lively freshness from the vintage and fruit that's more pear and citrus than peach; very much to our taste and just delicious with the food; good
C . h . 0 . o . n . 6

B. Davies

#2731 Post by B. Davies »

Anyone try 2014 Philipponnat Cuvee 1522 Grand Cru Extra Brut? Doesn't seem to be much out there on TN and I know it's a bit premature but wanted to see how it compared to the regular Reserve Brut. I have a bottle staring me in the face and I'm debating if I want to wait or be one of the earlier TN.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2732 Post by Brian Pinci »

I was searching for an obscure bottle of Champagne that I like and I saw they also had a Champagne I rarely see but has some hype and cost to it. Anyone have the 2008 Doyard Extra-Brut Grand Cru Les Lumières? What’s it like and is it worth the price?
Brian Pinci

P a u l Christensen

#2733 Post by P a u l Christensen »

We recently very much enjoyed another bottle of 2012 Dehours Extra Brut Œil de Perdrix La Croix Joly, which we knew from past experience would be best after ~15 minutes in a decanter. Link to CellarTracker TNs.

Robert.A.Jr.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2734 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

2002 Piper-Heidsieck "Cuvée Rare" Brut Champagne

On a local restaurant menu for all of $200!

The vintage was not on the menu, so I assumed a more recent vintage, but even still, a great deal regardless of vintage. Color me very surprised that it was the 2002. This is an excellent wine, but still needs to uncoil more. Took easily an hour to flesh out a bit, showings lovely white florals, tangy citrus notes and brioche. Has an interesting, almost waxy tart finish. A winner. Another reason for me to go back to that restaurant! The Somm told me they just got in more!

(94 pts.)
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

YLee

#2735 Post by YLee »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:44 am 2002 Piper-Heidsieck "Cuvée Rare" Brut Champagne

The vintage was not on the menu, so I assumed a more recent vintage, but even still, a great deal regardless of vintage. Color me very surprised that it was the 2002. This is an excellent wine, but still needs to uncoil more. Took easily an hour to flesh out a bit, showings lovely white florals, tangy citrus notes and brioche. Has an interesting, almost waxy tart finish. A winner. Another reason for me to go back to that restaurant! The Somm told me they just got in more!

(94 pts.)
I had this wine past summer and it was absolutely delicious. The '98 is even better.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2736 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: November 27th, 2021, 4:44 am 2002 Piper-Heidsieck "Cuvée Rare" Brut Champagne

(94 pts.)
That is a great restaurant price for a great Champagne. Hopefully the Somm does not raise the price before your next visit.

Robert.A.Jr.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2737 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Jon Lawrence wrote: November 27th, 2021, 8:47 am

(94 pts.)
That is a great restaurant price for a great Champagne. Hopefully the Somm does not raise the price before your next visit.
Yeah like a dumb shit, I cannot keep my mouth shut, and actually made a comment about it, LOL.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

Michael S. Monie

#2738 Post by Michael S. Monie »

2008 Laurent-Perrier Brut: very elegant and classy Champagne!
“To study the Buddha Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of enlightenment remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.”

― Dogen

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2739 Post by Blake Brown »

Michael S. Monie wrote: November 27th, 2021, 8:59 am 2008 Laurent-Perrier Brut: very elegant and classy Champagne!
I've loved many a bottle of this fabulous bubbly and would use the same descriptors. IMHO, it's the sleeper of the 2008 vintage.
Napolean Bonaparte

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2740 Post by Diane Kessler »

2016 Moussé Fils Rosé de Saignée Special Club - my first time with this Champagne and it holds my interest. It is very dry with cherry and watermelon notes. Surprisingly, I get the taste of Scotch before ending with orange rind. Bubbles dissipate quickly, but I like it and keep going back for more.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2741 Post by CJ Beazley »

It's C(raig)

Steve Costigan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2742 Post by Steve Costigan »

CJ Beazley wrote: November 27th, 2021, 12:38 pm
Find that tooth, keep it moist and they can reinsert it. Hilarious.
“I’ve never had a wine that had too much oak”

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2743 Post by Neal.Mollen »

2008 Gimmonet no-dosage. Really, really nice wine. Impeccable, in fact.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2744 Post by Warren Taranow »

My run on exceptional bottles of Deutz continues. Granted, we’ve been opening mostly their tête de cuvèes. Last night, the ‘09 Cuvèe William Deutz out of a magnum. A glorious and generous wine, confirming my love of this house and this vintage. I ordered two more when we arrived home.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2745 Post by Russell Faulkner »

A few recent ones.

Notes on CT
4BE8F8E7-962B-4F13-A197-0A70730E896E.jpeg
B6D0B875-BACF-4F94-9D84-2CF11DB5703A.jpeg
F757149E-1027-410E-B2E6-48D7360FD15B.jpeg
4DB45B96-65AC-46F6-B950-BEF99F99C60B.jpeg
EF5265F3-AC4E-4E64-A496-7A4ADF1A933C.jpeg
E5DF5267-BC55-4CF2-8455-E03E7925974A.jpeg
3F8A0C2C-6A8E-4E60-AC1B-4F811C5EB606.jpeg
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Marc Frontario

#2746 Post by Marc Frontario »

NV Clotilde Blanc de Blanc Grand Cru.

Clotilde is an homage to the first queen of France, is a Blanc de Blanc Cuvee from the Grand Cru vineyards of Michel Turgy in Les Mesnil – Sur – Oger. . The steeple on the label (in the L) is a replica of the church where her relics are held at the Eglise Saint-Leu-Saint Gilles de Paris. This extremely limited release is only available in California and France. The Clotilde is made by Jean Michel Turgy and sourced from Le Mesnil Sur Oger

This has a cool label which initially attracted me to it. The wine has a nice subtle brioche, real crunchy, crisp granny smith action, the acid gives the fruit ample lift, this is just so refreshing...I was plowing through this...I will hold my last bottle for a nicer occasion.
Find something you love....and let it kill u....Charles Bukowski
I cannot escape the ravages of this man....R.Alfert
Like dancing Satyrs in a woodland Bacchanalian revelry (Lol..WTF Alfert?) neener

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2747 Post by Blake Brown »

2008 CHAMPAGNE GUY LARMANDIER SIGNE FRANCOIS VIEILLES VIGNES GRAND CRU BRUT- lovely bubbly here with some seriousness that rivals more well known wines that cost twice as much although this is not cheap; it had super bright acidity and a wondrous citrus fruit profile that is made up primarily of lemon, lime and orange zest; there is a mild streak of minerals that runs through to the back end; it is full bodied and has some weight and a fabulous mouthfeel; perhaps its hallmark is it incredible balance already attained; this is one of those wines that gets your attention over and over until one just claims it's pretty righteous juice. Beware, there is a sticker at the beginning of the shoulder that relates to an award it received in 2015 that can be easily interpreted as the vintage if you do not look closer. The vintage is the second thing you see and it's on the neck label.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2748 Post by Diane Kessler »

That’s a lovely note, Blake. I just had a couple of these delivered and it was confusing when I first saw the sticker, but I then noticed the actual vintage sticker.

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2749 Post by Blake Brown »

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay, sourced from Grands Crus from the Montagne de Reims, the Vallée de la Marne and the Côte des Blancs; no ML, 32% vinified in oak casks; bottled in 2013; disgorged in 2019 and dosed at 7.5 gpl; each time I open one of these, I think to myself it's just way too early and hold off, but I seem to not be able to listen to my self speak and opened another one; the most recent bottle had so much to enjoy and while sitting on the open deck at a very special vineyard located hacienda, we did just that; the 4 words that cover most of the aromatics, taste profile and mouthfeel are "lemon meringue cream puffs"; all in all, this precocious bubbly has enough stuff to be stellar in a few years and on this occasion, generally gave us enough of its treasures to make for an enjoyable sunset.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2750 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Blake - sounds very similar to my last bottle. I thought the '12 Rose was drinking great a couple of weeks ago, no regrets opening it young.

Return to “Wine Talk”