Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#2401 Post by Jeff Rosenberg »

Neal.Mollen wrote: September 12th, 2021, 7:41 am had a bottle of the Moutard rose last night. Is there a better value in sparkling wine? I am not sure there is. Absolutely delicious stuff.
Wine Searcher shows three different rose options. Which is this?

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2402 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Jeff Rosenberg wrote: September 19th, 2021, 5:22 am
Neal.Mollen wrote: September 12th, 2021, 7:41 am had a bottle of the Moutard rose last night. Is there a better value in sparkling wine? I am not sure there is. Absolutely delicious stuff.
Wine Searcher shows three different rose options. Which is this?
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp? ... 10a4cb3d7a
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2403 Post by Neal.Mollen »

By all rights, this champagne should have been eliminated from consideration because the name is too damn long, but the 2008 Guy Charlemagne Champagne Grand Cru Mesnillésime Vieilles Vignes Blanc de Blancs we had last night was gorgeous. On the bright end of the spectrum, loads of citrus and zippy acidity. Loved it. Wish the price had not escalated as it has.

BTW, I actually had a glass of this with pizza for dinner, and proved yet again that there is no more food-accommodating wine than champagne. Surprisingly delicious

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2404 Post by CJ Beazley »

Diebolt-Vallois BdB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's C(raig)

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2405 Post by Russell Faulkner »

697ABB03-2D3F-4A7F-934A-BA5ADA3E8C63.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Oliver McCrum

#2406 Post by Oliver McCrum »

Jacquesson 738 that I've sat on for a few years. I am enjoying it hugely.
Oliver McCrum
Oliver McCrum Wines

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2407 Post by Warren Taranow »

Neal.Mollen wrote: September 19th, 2021, 6:38 am By all rights, this champagne should have been eliminated from consideration because the name is too damn long, but the 2008 Guy Charlemagne Champagne Grand Cru Mesnillésime Vieilles Vignes Blanc de Blancs we had last night was gorgeous. On the bright end of the spectrum, loads of citrus and zippy acidity. Loved it. Wish the price had not escalated as it has.

BTW, I actually had a glass of this with pizza for dinner, and proved yet again that there is no more food-accommodating wine than champagne. Surprisingly delicious
I agree. These are my two tasting notes:

4/25/2019

Damn, I didn't remember what this was and didn't read my own previous tasting note. While fantastic now, this is a wine that would have been nice to lay down and open every five years for decades. Fairly dark yellow for an oh-eight champagne, but full of verve and youth. Creamy lemon and orange, white flowers, great minerality. Lithe but full bodied from start to finish.
I made a big mistake only buying four, and a bigger one by opening two so early. The real deal, a tete-de-cuvée.

11/4/2018

Good now, but clearly one with potential for greatness with some more bottle age. Clean, generous old vine Mesnil BDB fruit, mineral background and crisp. I might try to get more of this to lay down.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

crickey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2408 Post by crickey »

For my birthday, I had the 2006 Taittinger CdC with scallops. Wonderful!
  • 2006 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (9/19/2021)
    Fairly consistent with my last note. White orchard fruit, dough, light citrus and almonds, with a fine line of acid. Possibly a little richer than previously, but still medium-bodied and lacy. Still quite delicious.
Posted from CellarTracker
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2409 Post by Russell Faulkner »

Very good indeed at lunch today.
7ABF9E9B-6454-45BB-B5B3-7D179599D70A.jpeg
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Carter Pelham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2410 Post by Carter Pelham »

Over the weekend popped a split of Billecart Salmon Rose NV. Always a winner, has such a great balance of richness and bright acidity to be perfect for almost every occasion.
Got a 2018 disgorged Chartogne Taillet Sainte Anne lined up for Friday. A pretty classic bottling but will actually be my first experience with it!

crickey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2411 Post by crickey »

Zachary Mancini wrote: September 10th, 2021, 8:04 pm Can't wait to try my first Cristal soon.
I saw your disappointed note on the 2012 Cristal in another thread. I'm a newbie to champagne, too, so take this advice with grains of salt. There are a lot of different styles of champagne with very different flavor profiles and overall taste. You need to try different kinds to see which styles appeal the most to you. This thread contains lots of good information from very knowledgeable drinkers of champagne, but you need to pay close attention to what it was about a particular bottle that appealed to that particular drinker in order for you to extrapolate from that one tasting note to how you would experience it.

Like you, my first (and so far only) experience with Cristal (2009) was a disappointment. It was what I refer to as a lemon bomb, basically very tart, fizzy lemon juice. The only reason I opened it was because so many people had said that the 2009 was open and drinking well. Afterwards, I thought, maybe some people just like lemon bombs.

I ran across this amusing review on CT of the 2013 Cristal, which William Kelley just upped to a 98 in the latest WA:

"Unquestionably bursting with vibrancy, categorically abounding with freshness, and completely enveloped by an acidic attack that slaps the palate with such unresolved and determined nerve that the palate is instantaneously numbed by the barbed delivery, the 2013 Cristal is going to need a decade (or three) of sleep before it’s even worth having a conversation about.

“It’s an amazing palate cleanser,” grandly decrees one gulper next to me. “Ummm…. Ya think?!” I quip back with my customary flippant irreverence. I’m no Marie Curie, but I didn’t know Champagne could get to 0.5 pH. If you’re a Tesla mechanic and snort sulfuric acid and lead dioxide on your lunchbreak, then you will most certainly find immediate pleasure in the 2013 Cristal. For the rest of us, it’s likely to continue to be a lemon juice in the eye kind of experience for quite some time."

Incidentally, that person scored it a 96. However, if I were to purchase the 2013 myself, this is a good warning to someone with my taste preference to leave it alone for at least a decade.

All that's to say, keep at it, keep tasting and trying new things, and if something sucks that you think should be good, try it again later. And leave the Cristal buried in the cellar.
Last edited by crickey on September 26th, 2021, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2412 Post by Neal.Mollen »

we had the 2012 Hebrart Special Club last night, and my immediate reactions were both delight and regret. Why did I not buy more when they were available at a reasonable cost? Oh well; gets added to a lengthy list of champagnes that I have adored where my typical 2-3 bottles proved inadequate

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2413 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Neal.Mollen wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:37 am we had the 2012 Hebrart Special Club last night, and my immediate reactions were both delight and regret. Why did I not buy more when they were available at a reasonable cost? Oh well; gets added to a lengthy list of champagnes that I have adored where my typical 2-3 bottles proved inadequate
With you both points, Neal. I liked the 2012 so much I splurged on a number of magnums of the 2013. I have come to buy champagne only in 6s or 12s, unless prohibitively expensive, since I can count the times on one hand that I've wished I'd bought less.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2414 Post by alan weinberg »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:57 am
Neal.Mollen wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:37 am we had the 2012 Hebrart Special Club last night, and my immediate reactions were both delight and regret. Why did I not buy more when they were available at a reasonable cost? Oh well; gets added to a lengthy list of champagnes that I have adored where my typical 2-3 bottles proved inadequate
With you both points, Neal. I liked the 2012 so much I splurged on a number of magnums of the 2013. I have come to buy champagne only in 6s or 12s, unless prohibitively expensive, since I can count the times on one hand that I've wished I'd bought less.
I’m torn. I have too much wine. I still want to try more. Especially champagne. There’s so much good stuff. So I buy 3-6. Unless I buy 12-36.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2415 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

alan weinberg wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:51 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:57 am
I’m torn. I have too much wine. I still want to try more. Especially champagne. There’s so much good stuff. So I buy 3-6. Unless I buy 12-36.
I do occasionally buy one or two when I'm just curious, since I came late to champagne. But of all the wine I buy, it's come to be the most consistent case purchase. We reach for it so often.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2416 Post by Russell Faulkner »

519E338E-E6E4-4FE5-B8DC-B5F9165CCD80.jpeg
I like it but it’s pretty strict. I dont think it likes me back much.
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Lonnie F.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2417 Post by Lonnie F. »

NV Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé
NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier Brut
Lonnie Fuller

Jayson Cohen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2418 Post by Jayson Cohen »

These at Flatiron NY last Friday. 2013 Hebrart RG/RD and 2016 Vilmart GCdO are stunners, but the others are great too.

Mike Evans
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2419 Post by Mike Evans »

On Saturday I had the 2012 Bollinger Grand Année Rosé, 2007 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rosé, and Krug 23eme Edition Rosé side by side. The Krug was nice, but I found the Bollinger and Taittinger more compelling. My preference among those two was a tougher call. After a sip of the Bollinger, I’d give it the edge for its penetrating vibrancy, but then a sip of the Taittinger and its depth and nuance would change my mind. The cycle would repeat for the next round.

A 2008 Dom Perignon was also irresistible. I went pretty deep on it, but not deep enough.

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2420 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Mike Evans wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:00 pm On Saturday I had the 2012 Bollinger Grand Année Rosé, 2007 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rosé, and Krug 23eme Edition Rosé side by side. The Krug was nice, but I found the Bollinger and Taittinger more compelling. My preference among those two was a tougher call. After a sip of the Bollinger, I’d give it the edge for its penetrating vibrancy, but then a sip of the Taittinger and its depth and nuance would change my mind. The cycle would repeat for the next round.

A 2008 Dom Perignon was also irresistible. I went pretty deep on it, but not deep enough.
I am a big fan of both ‘04 and ‘12 Bollinger Rose. Never really had a Krug Rose that did it for me. For that tariff, I think Cristal Rose blows it away. I have not tried the ‘07 Comtes Rose, but I do have the ‘06 and I think it is a bit tight right now, unlike the ‘06 Comtes BdB.

I am finishing a bottle of ‘08 DP now that I opened last night and I agree with your assessment.

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2421 Post by K John Joseph »

Jayson Cohen wrote: September 27th, 2021, 12:53 pm These at Flatiron NY last Friday. 2013 Hebrart RG/RD and 2016 Vilmart GCdO are stunners, but the others are great too.
The 2013 Hebrart RG RD blew me away when I had it. Really good wine. Glad to see you enjoyed it as well.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2422 Post by K John Joseph »

crickey wrote: September 26th, 2021, 8:44 am
Zachary Mancini wrote: September 10th, 2021, 8:04 pm Can't wait to try my first Cristal soon.
Like you, my first (and so far only) experience with Cristal (2009) was a disappointment. It was what I refer to as a lemon bomb, basically very tart, fizzy lemon juice. The only reason I opened it was because so many people had said that the 2009 was open and drinking well. Afterwards, I thought, maybe some people just like lemon bombs.
Curious to hear from the rest of the folks on this thread, but 2009 Cristal...to me...is about as far from a lemon bomb as you can get. It's bombastic, carries signature peach notes, and has a fruit intensity that makes it a distinct standout forward drinking Cristal. IT's not a yeasty, bready, nutty champagne, but it is not, in my opinion, a lemony wine.

At least that's been my experience about a half dozen times now. I don't think I'd ever describe that wine as a lemon bomb. Bummer if that's what showed for you on your only Cristal experience.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2423 Post by Neal.Mollen »

K John Joseph wrote: September 28th, 2021, 6:56 am
Curious to hear from the rest of the folks on this thread, but 2009 Cristal...to me...is about as far from a lemon bomb as you can get. It's bombastic, carries signature peach notes, and has a fruit intensity that makes it a distinct standout forward drinking Cristal. IT's not a yeasty, bready, nutty champagne, but it is not, in my opinion, a lemony wine.

At least that's been my experience about a half dozen times now. I don't think I'd ever describe that wine as a lemon bomb. Bummer if that's what showed for you on your only Cristal experience.
I'm with John on this. NOT a lemon drop but absolutely delish. Had twice with the same impression. One of the best young champagnes I have ever had

Zachary Mancini

#2424 Post by Zachary Mancini »

I don't know about the 09, but the 12 definitely tasted like a lemon bomb.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2425 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Zach - what did the 2012 Cristal taste like?

;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

crickey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2426 Post by crickey »

Neal.Mollen wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:52 pm

I'm with John on this. NOT a lemon drop but absolutely delish. Had twice with the same impression. One of the best young champagnes I have ever had
Yours was one of the posts that made me reach for the 2009 Cristal (yeah, you're a social media influencer, didn't you know?). Unfortunately, my bottle was not delicious. Maybe the next one will be.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2427 Post by K John Joseph »

crickey wrote: September 28th, 2021, 7:27 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:52 pm

Yours was one of the posts that made me reach for the 2009 Cristal (yeah, you're a social media influencer, didn't you know?). Unfortunately, my bottle was not delicious. Maybe the next one will be.
I've influenced you into failure! Dang! I so badly try to emulate our dear Charlie Fu, and I'll try harder to get it right next time!
J0hn-J-K4ne

crickey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2428 Post by crickey »

K John Joseph wrote: September 29th, 2021, 7:43 am
crickey wrote: September 28th, 2021, 7:27 pm
I've influenced you into failure! Dang! I so badly try to emulate our dear Charlie Fu, and I'll try harder to get it right next time!
With great power comes great responsibility.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2429 Post by Jon Lawrence »

I only had the '09 once and it was served right before I had the '08 for the first time, so it was just lost in translation. I don't remember it at all. The only other glass I had that tasting that stood out was '12 Rose, which was 3 years for it was released.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2430 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

I was in Paris for 3 days, and had 3 bottles of champagne, among many other vinous adventures, with a special aim of ordering things I don't have in my own cellar:

NV Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuis - purchased in a wine shop near the apartment to have something I could pour in between meals, with breakfast, after dinner, to escape from natural wine etc. For the price, which was less than 30 EUR, I thought this was a nice, easy to drink bottle. It was bright, juicy, balanced and friendly, with more personality than I would have guessed for this level. My first time tasting this bottling and, while I won't seek it out, it's a lovely QPR that I'll keep in mind and be happy to drink if it presents itself.

NV Laherte Frères Champagne Rosé de Meunier Extra Brut - off a somewhat limited restaurant list, I was concerned about this at first because my experiences with Laherte haven't been stellar in the past and because it looked a little "cham-brusco-y," but it turned out to be very enjoyable and its bright acidity and texture matched my food nicely. Citrus driven at first, it broadened out with some air and developed more berry tones and a lingering finish as I, too, lingered at the end of the meal. I shared the last 1/3 with the couple sitting next to me and we all declared it very pleasing.

NV Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines L18 - ordered off a difficult list at a restaurant I adore to accompany a lengthy tasting menu on my last night. Despite being young and needing time to open up, I flat out loved this wine. I didn't want to love it, given my general emotional distaste for highly hyped wines, and knowing where the prices have gone recently. But I couldn't help myself. Deep and pronounced meunier character, which I love when done well. Medium body, slightly toasty, very rich and complex, but also playful and persistent. Somewhere in between a seductive and an in-your-face champagne on this night. Joyous.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2431 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 29th, 2021, 9:04 am I was in Paris for 3 days, and had 3 bottles of champagne, among many other vinous adventures, with a special aim of ordering things I don't have in my own cellar:

NV Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuis - purchased in a wine shop near the apartment to have something I could pour in between meals, with breakfast, after dinner, to escape from natural wine etc. For the price, which was less than 30 EUR, I thought this was a nice, easy to drink bottle. It was bright, juicy, balanced and friendly, with more personality than I would have guessed for this level. My first time tasting this bottling and, while I won't seek it out, it's a lovely QPR that I'll keep in mind and be happy to drink if it presents itself.

NV Laherte Frères Champagne Rosé de Meunier Extra Brut - off a somewhat limited restaurant list, I was concerned about this at first because my experiences with Laherte haven't been stellar in the past and because it looked a little "cham-brusco-y," but it turned out to be very enjoyable and its bright acidity and texture matched my food nicely. Citrus driven at first, it broadened out with some air and developed more berry tones and a lingering finish as I, too, lingered at the end of the meal. I shared the last 1/3 with the couple sitting next to me and we all declared it very pleasing.

NV Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines L18 - ordered off a difficult list at a restaurant I adore to accompany a lengthy tasting menu on my last night. Despite being young and needing time to open up, I flat out loved this wine. I didn't want to love it, given my general emotional distaste for highly hyped wines, and knowing where the prices have gone recently. But I couldn't help myself. Deep and pronounced meunier character, which I love when done well. Medium body, slightly toasty, very rich and complex, but also playful and persistent. Somewhere in between a seductive and an in-your-face champagne on this night. Joyous.
Great notes Sarah!
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2432 Post by K John Joseph »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 29th, 2021, 9:04 am I was in Paris for 3 days, and had 3 bottles of champagne, among many other vinous adventures, with a special aim of ordering things I don't have in my own cellar:

Love me some Prevost. And I think Laherte Freres does better with their Extra Bruts than Brut Nature. Glad to see you found some gems.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2433 Post by Al Osterheld »

Yes, I've enjoyed the 2014 and 2015 Laherte Freres Le Grands Crayeres BdB Extra Brut, and NV Rose de Meunier Sarah drank.

-Al

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2434 Post by Warren Taranow »

Two outstanding wines this week. The Krug 167 endorces my rule of buying the Grande Cuvèe even when the base is a challenging vintage, in this case 2011. Their farming, blending and deep reserves guarantee a great wine for every edition, to my palate. This was still young and tight, but gorgeous and promising.
The ‘02 Cuvèe Nicolas François Billecart is a triumph, and is in a perfect drinking window.

Regarding mixed opinions in the notes above about the ‘09 Cristal; count me in the fan camp. I love that wine. Atypically precocious for a Cristal, consistently delicious.

CT - WST

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2435 Post by Charlie Carnes »

2002 Dom…
September 23, 2021 - Tonight’s bottle is knee bendingly amazing! It is dazzling gold, with much liveliness, but showing signs of maturity like less hiss and fizz. It is very aromatic, with apple skin, all manner of orchard fruit, also with mature aromas, and lodes of flinty mineral, and a creamy richness that is uncanny. Every swallow a shock, and I say to myself, “This is so great!”99
Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... Patrick Henry

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2436 Post by Blake Brown »

2009 PHILIPPONNAT CLOS des GOISSES EXTRA BRUT- 61% Pinot Noir, 39% Chardonnay; dosed at 4.5 gpl in March 2018; fabulous bubbly here with lots going on and continually evolving over an hour of repeated small pours; its super rich with a full body and some weight, has crisp acidity as well as being loaded with fresh and ripe citrus notes, especially lemon; the oily mouthfeel adds to the sensory pleasures as do accents of bread dough and oak spice; this is a powerful wine and yet there is enough finesse to balance it out; really good now with promises to mature to something extra stellar.

Cheers,
Blake
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2437 Post by Blake Brown »

2009 PHILIPPONNAT CLOS des GOISSES EXTRA BRUT- 61% Pinot Noir, 39% Chardonnay; dosed at 4.5 gpl in March 2018; fabulous bubbly here with lots going on and continually evolving over an hour of repeated small pours; its super rich with a full body and some weight, has crisp acidity as well as being loaded with fresh and ripe citrus notes, especially lemon; the oily mouthfeel adds to the sensory pleasures as do accents of bread dough and oak spice; this is a powerful wine and yet there is enough finesse to balance it out; really good now with promises to mature to something extra stellar.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

dsimmons

#2438 Post by dsimmons »

Had my first of four 2007 Delamotte Champagne Blanc de Blancs Millésimé a few days ago. Bright and fresh. Happy to have more.
D o n

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2439 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Alert alert! The 2008 Henri Goutorbe Champagne Grand Cru Special Club is on offer from Envoyer for $69.99. Really good price for a really good bottle of wine.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2440 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Neal.Mollen wrote: September 30th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Alert alert! The 2008 Henri Goutorbe Champagne Grand Cru Special Club is on offer from Envoyer for $69.99. Really good price for a really good bottle of wine.
I was given permission to buy a few of these, even though I'm officially on a Time Out (Jonathan imposed) for my recent buying enthusiasm.

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2441 Post by Blake Brown »

1999 PAUL BARA COMTESSE MARIE de FRANCE BOUZY GRAND CRU- this Blanc de Noir is comprised of 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay; most of the Pinot Noir fruit is sourced from some of the best available in the region; the nose had unexpected straw, hay, grassy notes with herbal accents that were replaced by mature yellow apple, pear and stone fruit on the palate; a streak of minerality prevailed throughout; all in all, it was a very interesting champagne offering a different taste profile that eventually came together and pleased enough for my pour to be consumed.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2442 Post by Blake Brown »

1999 PAUL BARA COMTESSE MARIE de FRANCE BOUZY GRAND CRU- this Blanc de Noir is comprised of 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay; most of the Pinot Noir fruit is sourced from some of the best available in the region; the nose had unexpected straw, hay, grassy notes with herbal accents that were replaced by mature yellow apple, pear and stone fruit on the palate; a streak of minerality prevailed throughout; all in all, it was a very interesting champagne offering a different taste profile that eventually came together and pleased enough.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2443 Post by alan weinberg »

Blake Brown wrote: September 30th, 2021, 12:24 pm 2009 PHILIPPONNAT CLOS des GOISSES EXTRA BRUT- 61% Pinot Noir, 39% Chardonnay; dosed at 4.5 gpl in March 2018; fabulous bubbly here with lots going on and continually evolving over an hour of repeated small pours; its super rich with a full body and some weight, has crisp acidity as well as being loaded with fresh and ripe citrus notes, especially lemon; the oily mouthfeel adds to the sensory pleasures as do accents of bread dough and oak spice; this is a powerful wine and yet there is enough finesse to balance it out; really good now with promises to mature to something extra stellar.

Cheers,
Blake
worth posting twice!

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2444 Post by Blake Brown »

alan weinberg wrote: September 30th, 2021, 5:46 pm
Blake Brown wrote: September 30th, 2021, 12:24 pm 2009 PHILIPPONNAT CLOS des GOISSES EXTRA BRUT- 61% Pinot Noir, 39% Chardonnay; dosed at 4.5 gpl in March 2018; fabulous bubbly here with lots going on and continually evolving over an hour of repeated small pours; its super rich with a full body and some weight, has crisp acidity as well as being loaded with fresh and ripe citrus notes, especially lemon; the oily mouthfeel adds to the sensory pleasures as do accents of bread dough and oak spice; this is a powerful wine and yet there is enough finesse to balance it out; really good now with promises to mature to something extra stellar.

Cheers,
Blake
worth posting twice!
When I pulled the trigger to post the first one, it disappeared from the screen and it seemed to be gone. So, I do it again and lo and behold, 2 posts and now I can't delete one. Thanks for the alert Alan.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2445 Post by Blake Brown »

2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- I`ve had quite a few bottlers of this release and loved them all, but none better than this one; it was 2008esque with an amazing amount of depth and complexity, power and richness; I looked more than once to be sure it was not the 08`; it had very enjoyable seriously honeyed citrus notes with a touch of slightly toasted brioche and spice being delivered in a creamy mousse; but it was the massive mouthfeel that highlighted this wondrous bubbly.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Jon Lawrence
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2446 Post by Jon Lawrence »

Blake Brown wrote: October 1st, 2021, 8:22 am 2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- I`ve had quite a few bottlers of this release and loved them all, but none better than this one; it was 2008esque with an amazing amount of depth and complexity, power and richness; I looked more than once to be sure it was not the 08`; it had very enjoyable seriously honeyed citrus notes with a touch of slightly toasted brioche and spice being delivered in a creamy mousse; but it was the massive mouthfeel that highlighted this wondrous bubbly.

Cheers,
Blake
Blake - I agree with your note and I admit that I really underestimated the '07 when I first tried it back in 2018. Given that it's the weekend and I bought a bunch of seafood/fish for dinner tonight, I am going do a blind '07/'08 and see who wins and how close they are.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2447 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Jon Lawrence wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:28 am
Blake Brown wrote: October 1st, 2021, 8:22 am 2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- I`ve had quite a few bottlers of this release and loved them all, but none better than this one; it was 2008esque with an amazing amount of depth and complexity, power and richness; I looked more than once to be sure it was not the 08`; it had very enjoyable seriously honeyed citrus notes with a touch of slightly toasted brioche and spice being delivered in a creamy mousse; but it was the massive mouthfeel that highlighted this wondrous bubbly.

Cheers,
Blake
Blake - I agree with your note and I admit that I really underestimated the '07 when I first tried it back in 2018. Given that it's the weekend and I bought a bunch of seafood/fish for dinner tonight, I am going do a blind '07/'08 and see who wins and how close they are.
I also really enjoy the '07 much more than I ever expected to. Still, I'd be shocked if you couldn't immediately tell the difference. Report back!

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2448 Post by Blake Brown »

Jon Lawrence wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:28 am

Cheers,
Blake
Looking forward to your comparison notes Jon. Enjoy therm both.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2449 Post by Warren Taranow »

Cheers,
Blake
Blake
I don’t see much mentioning of CdG here. Maybe that’s because it needs so much time on cork to reach peak. I have bottles from several vintages. Over the past year or two, a ‘96 and an ‘03 we’re really good. My younger vintages including the 2009 are resting. I don’t have a lot of any one vintage.
Another wine in that category (little mention here and modest stock in my cellar) is Winston Churchill.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2450 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: October 1st, 2021, 10:22 am

Cheers,
Blake
Blake
I don’t see much mentioning of CdG here. Maybe that’s because it needs so much time on cork to reach peak. I have bottles from several vintages. Over the past year or two, a ‘96 and an ‘03 we’re really good. My younger vintages including the 2009 are resting. I don’t have a lot of any one vintage.
Another wine in that category (little mention here and modest stock in my cellar) is Winston Churchill.

Cheers,
Warren
Good points on both Warren. I've been a huge fan of CdG for a few decades and have many bottles just about ready to pop from 99` up. The recent vintages of SWC haver taken some heat from the critics, but I`ve only had really good bottles. The 06` was super fine.
Napolean Bonaparte

Return to “Wine Talk”