Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
R@y.Tupp@+sch

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#901 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » December 13th, 2019, 9:23 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I'm sure, knowing Roy, they are all recent and bad vintages too. Wow. I would like it if he would throw some Philipponnat, Lanson, and Ployez-Jacquemart in with the big houses just so I knew I was a fool for boycotting LVMH.
Theme was the 1970's.
I've never seen a bottle of Ployez-Jacquemart from that decade.
Lanson - have had many bottles from the '70's but most were dead or dying ten years ago including late disgorged magnums.
A bottle of '79 Clos des Goisses was included in the line-up. Would have included another vintage or two, but it would have made the cost too high. The FMV of '70's Clos des Goisses is much higher than DP etc.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Sarah Kirschbaum

#902 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 13th, 2019, 10:51 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 7:24 pm
IMG_0026.jpg

Some brief notes and comments tomorrow.
I'm sure, knowing Roy, they are all recent and bad vintages too. Wow. I would like it if he would throw some Philipponnat, Lanson, and Ployez-Jacquemart in with the big houses just so I knew I was a fool for boycotting LVMH.
Well, you don't know him very well if you think his name is Roy. ;-)

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#903 Post by Frank Murray III » December 15th, 2019, 10:35 am

Couple from last night. The 2009 Cristal is simply genius, and if it wasn't 200 a pop, I'd probably buy a case of it for the cellar. Gotta live to a budget, thought. But, for the 4 times I have had it this year, inclusive of last night, I simply cannot think of anything better from anywhere I have enjoyed as much in 2019. As for the Godme Alouettes, this again showed terrific. That one fortunately is more affordable for backfill.
Posted from CellarTracker[
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#904 Post by Warren Taranow » December 15th, 2019, 10:39 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 10:35 am
Couple from last night. The 2009 Cristal is simply genius, and if it wasn't 200 a pop, I'd probably buy a case of it for the cellar. Gotta live to a budget, thought. But, for the 4 times I have had it this year, inclusive of last night, I simply cannot think of anything better from anywhere I have enjoyed as much in 2019. As for the Godme Alouettes, this again showed terrific. That one fortunately is more affordable for backfill.
[*]2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (12/14/2019)
This is my WOTY. Just beautiful. Crushed rock aroma, citrus blossom, lime. Impeccable balance yet structured, too. Every bottle I have is just sublime. This is why I love Champagne.[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker[

Frank,
I didn't buy enough of the '09 Cristal. I have a bit of the '08, but am of a minority opinion that I should have gone 50:50 08 to 09 rather than 2 or 3:1. (I also wish it were 50!)
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#905 Post by Frank Murray III » December 15th, 2019, 10:42 am

20191214_210633.jpg
Warren, I will do another 2008 soon, maybe New Year's Eve...have not decided. But for my tastes and the fact that as someone who is 54 and wants to live in experiences now, and appreciate the joy of wine in my glass now, that 2009 Cristal is STELLAR!
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#906 Post by Blake Brown » December 15th, 2019, 10:51 am

I sometimes forget about this thread, but never forget to open lots of champagne. In the past week:

04` Dom Ruinart in magnum
06` Taittinger CdC
07` Philipponnat CdG
NV Bollinger Special Cuvee from a 6 pack OWC just received in the US
NV Ruinart Brut Rose from a 6 pack bought 8 years ago
NV Aspasie Carte Blanche bought 5+ years ago
08` Louis Roederer BdB

Lots of bubbly planned during Christmas and a birthday just prior.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#907 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » December 15th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Diebolt-Vallois BdB-just fabulous

Pierre Moncuit BdB-also just lovely. Linear, clean lines, great mousse, lovely balance.

Marc Hebrart Mes Favorites-nice bottle, more richness, less minerality than the previous two bottles.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#908 Post by K John Joseph » December 16th, 2019, 7:45 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 10:35 am
Couple from last night. The 2009 Cristal is simply genius, and if it wasn't 200 a pop, I'd probably buy a case of it for the cellar. Gotta live to a budget, thought. But, for the 4 times I have had it this year, inclusive of last night, I simply cannot think of anything better from anywhere I have enjoyed as much in 2019.
The last time I had it I began to think along the same lines. It's really sensational and I keep staring at my 2008 Cristal wanting to pop one to see if it can possibly be as good. I think the 2009 got shunted aside like the 09 Dom when the 08s came out. With the Dom, the difference in quality and the unique profile of the 08 really sets the 2 apart. Having not had the 08 Cristal yet, I can't make the same comparison but have a very, very hard time believing that many champagnes I'll drink are going to be superior, young, to the 2009 Cristal.

It really is exceptional.

On the slum end of things, last night I popped the:

2016 Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs -- Nose is sweet pear, lime, granny smith, hint of honeysuckle. Palate was a shock. As in I got up, walked to the fridge, pulled the bottle out and looked at it to make sure I didn't open the wrong thing. It tastes like sparkling Riesling. The dosage seems so high that the wine is overtly sweet. I thought maybe I'd opened a demi-sec. My wife chimed in without any prompting to say "I'm not sure about this wine. It tastes like a Riesling or something." It is really hard for me to believe the dosage on this is only 10g/L because it tastes almost like a demi-sec. Has some acidity that cleans things up, and a surprisingly creamy mousse, but this is not my jams. 87
J0hn-J-K4ne

tedhase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#909 Post by tedhase » December 16th, 2019, 7:53 am

PSA... 2009 Roederer Cristal on sale for $199.95 @ worldclasswine.us in LA.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#910 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 16th, 2019, 7:59 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 7:23 am
Thursday at my monthly Burg group tasting I had a Pol Roger Champagne (did not write down cuvee) that was very nice. We also had a 2012 Marguet Champagne Ambonnay Rosé that I thought had very nice, rich flavors but that needed more acidity. The star to me of the Champagnes that night was a 2008 Delamotte that was quite tasty - outstanding wine.
The 08 Delamotte is very nice and a decent value

We had a Chas Heidsieck Brut Reserve (can't recall the disgorgement) at Bindaas on Saturday, and it was on point for the meal. Very bright, acid-focused, lean and maybe a little TOO lean to be a success as a cocktail wine. But an excellent accompaniment for the complexity, richness, and spice of the food.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Sarah Kirschbaum

#911 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 16th, 2019, 8:35 am

Over the weekend, we drank one each of our "house" champagnes (what we have the most of) and, as always, they were a great pleasure.

NV Diebolt-Vallois Champagne Cuvée Prestige Blanc de Blancs

NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé

I didn't note down the disgorgement on either, but both have been in the cellar for a few years at least. How exciting it is when your cellar defenders are so delicious!

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#912 Post by K John Joseph » December 16th, 2019, 10:58 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 7:59 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 7:23 am
Thursday at my monthly Burg group tasting I had a Pol Roger Champagne (did not write down cuvee) that was very nice. We also had a 2012 Marguet Champagne Ambonnay Rosé that I thought had very nice, rich flavors but that needed more acidity. The star to me of the Champagnes that night was a 2008 Delamotte that was quite tasty - outstanding wine.
The 08 Delamotte is very nice and a decent value

We had a Chas Heidsieck Brut Reserve (can't recall the disgorgement) at Bindaas on Saturday, and it was on point for the meal. Very bright, acid-focused, lean and maybe a little TOO lean to be a success as a cocktail wine. But an excellent accompaniment for the complexity, richness, and spice of the food.
Honestly surprised by the Chuck Heidsieck. That BR is usually on the very rich side of things, with big leesy, bready notes and a focus on richness. Even in color. Very curious on the disgorgement now!

I'll take a shot at the 08 Delamotte.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#913 Post by K John Joseph » December 18th, 2019, 8:45 am

2014 Schramsberg Juster Vineyard Blanc de Noir -- 100% pinot, inaugural vintage for this SV. Much better than the 16 BdB. Cherry, ruby red grapefruit, lemon, and a touch of vanilla. Very smooth and fairly layered. Hint of almond oil on the finish. Pretty nice. 91-92.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#914 Post by Blake Brown » December 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Posted thread separately: 2000 Whitcraft Winery Hirsch Vineyard Brut Rose

Not champagne, but a worthy mention for a sparkling wine
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#915 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » December 20th, 2019, 7:51 am

'28 Perrier-Jouet Reserve Extra Brut - Great fill and the color looked very good in the bottle. No effervescence upon pouring but the light golden color in the glass raises my hopes. Downhill from there. Skunky nose with no apparent fruit. Confirmed on the palate. Reconfirmed 15 minutes later and then the glasses and the balance of the bottle were dumped. My last pre-1960's bottle of Champagne in my cellar.

'90 Taittinger CdC - this bottle was fully mature. A touch of effervescence in the glass. Mature notes of honey and almonds on the nose and palate. Crisp finish. I've had more youthful bottles, but this was in a perfect place for drinking. Excellent Plus

Danius Barzdukas

#916 Post by Danius Barzdukas » December 20th, 2019, 7:32 pm

1999 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon: It was our 20th wedding anniversary yesterday, so my wife and I drank this. I really don't know how to evaluate it. It is only the second bottle of Dom Perignon I have ever drunk. After drinking it, I really felt you need to drink several bottles and several vintages of such a wine to get a frame of reference and find a way to evaluate it. Was it 99 points, 92? I don't know. I wasn't overwhelmed, but I enjoyed it. However, I felt at a loss as to how to evaluate it. Was it typical Dom Perignon, typical 1999 champagne- I have no idea. The taste profile and structure were pleasant, although we had the first half of the bottle with sushi for dinner, which my wife felt didn't quite work, especially the gari , which really affected the taste of the champagne. I thought it would go well with sushi, but I felt they were unfriendly dinner companions. There was a slightly bitter aftertaste, which I didn't mind that much, but somehow I didn't expect. I don't know if this was due to the sushi we were eating or if that is typical of this wine or the vintage (again- no frame of reference).
i asked my wife about it today, and she said she didn't feel like arguing with me after drinking this, which was a good sign. It made her happy- so Happy Anniversary. I bought the Grassl Mineralite glasses to drink this. I hope it helped a bit.

J. Rock

#917 Post by J. Rock » December 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Danius Barzdukas wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 7:32 pm
1999 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon: It was our 20th wedding anniversary yesterday, so my wife and I drank this. I really don't know how to evaluate it. It is only the second bottle of Dom Perignon I have ever drunk. After drinking it, I really felt you need to drink several bottles and several vintages of such a wine to get a frame of reference and find a way to evaluate it. Was it 99 points, 92? I don't know. I wasn't overwhelmed, but I enjoyed it. However, I felt at a loss as to how to evaluate it. Was it typical Dom Perignon, typical 1999 champagne- I have no idea. The taste profile and structure were pleasant, although we had the first half of the bottle with sushi for dinner, which my wife felt didn't quite work, especially the gari , which really affected the taste of the champagne. I thought it would go well with sushi, but I felt they were unfriendly dinner companions. There was a slightly bitter aftertaste, which I didn't mind that much, but somehow I didn't expect. I don't know if this was due to the sushi we were eating or if that is typical of this wine or the vintage (again- no frame of reference).
i asked my wife about it today, and she said she didn't feel like arguing with me after drinking this, which was a good sign. It made her happy- so Happy Anniversary. I bought the Grassl Mineralite glasses to drink this. I hope it helped a bit.
I don't have much experience with old Champagne, but from my limited experience, I feel like a younger Champagne, and maybe more of a BdB, would go better with sushi. Something bright, elegant and somewhat lighter, perhaps with more citrus notes than honied, nutty, caramel notes that I associate with older Champagne. I'd love to hear thoughts from others though.
J o r d a n

Danius Barzdukas

#918 Post by Danius Barzdukas » December 20th, 2019, 9:19 pm

J. Rock wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Danius Barzdukas wrote:
I don't have much experience with old Champagne, but from my limited experience, I feel like a younger Champagne, and maybe more of a BdB, would go better with sushi. Something bright, elegant and somewhat lighter, perhaps with more citrus notes than honied, nutty, caramel notes that I associate with older Champagne. I'd love to hear thoughts from others though.
Yeah, I kind of felt "this doesn't work" and maybe I should have just had a cracker and a piece of cheese, but I don't know if that had worked. Not sure what is an appropriate food pairing for such a wine.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#919 Post by Josh Grossman » December 20th, 2019, 9:24 pm

• 2008 Nicolas Maillart Champagne Premier Cru Brut Millésimé
    Very high acid, cloyingly so. Notes of lemon, green apple, and moss. Too tart and not enough fruit for me. Went well with stuffed artichokes and hollandaise sauce (88 pts.)

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#920 Post by Blake Brown » December 22nd, 2019, 8:06 am

A good friend put on a spectacular Christmas dinner party for 14 and we drank well. Since it was also my birthday, I took a mag of 07` Cristal {as well as a 97` Williams Selyem Coastlands Pinot} and it showed beautifully with an abundance of rich and lucisous notes, fully expressed with vim and vigor. Another brought 08` Cristal in a regular bottle and it was as I`ve experienced before, classy, charming and elegant and still not ready to give up its abundant treasures, but with all of the stuffing to promise it's there and to be expected.

Additionally, we had mags of NV Gossett Grand Reserve Brut and 06` Launois Special Club Bland de Blanc ]Brut; both were pleasant, the Gosset with more charm and the Launois with more body and substance.
I'll review the entire dinner in a separate thread.

Happy holidays to all of you with good cheer in the glass.

4921F306-E313-41CC-BF20-099881B5F542_1_201_a.jpeg
07BC91C7-4BF9-4702-A48C-FEB29DC722DE_1_201_a.jpeg
969F4FCC-7EC9-4810-8B9D-384778537100_1_201_a.jpeg
4E8EC123-8195-48E2-820B-0B8CAFE331B1_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#921 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 22nd, 2019, 6:55 pm

Champagne Andre Clouet Brut Rose No.3. A gorgeous rose with an equally gorgeous pink label.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#922 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 22nd, 2019, 6:57 pm

2009 Clos des goisses, needed a little time to open up.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#923 Post by Craig G » December 22nd, 2019, 7:48 pm

Michel Arnould Brut Rosé.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#924 Post by Frank Murray III » December 23rd, 2019, 6:40 pm

Boy, this is good. Easy to buy more of this, with a smile, too.
  • NV Larmandier-Bernier Longitude - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (12/23/2019)
    First of two. Opened this yesterday, we had a few glasses and then stopped it back up and returned to the fridge. Drinking more of it today, it continues to impress me. Disgorged 12/2018, with a base of 2015 and I believe around 40% of resave wines in this bottling, hence the NV designation. 3 g/l dosage. What this bottle delivers for me is pleasure. Pear, apple and lemon all work to give this a lovely, filling texture, and then a cool note of lemon peel is woven through all of it, giving it contrast. While this doesn't show a lot of structure, it's just fine for me as at $45 US, and with the biodynamic approach to make this, it ticks all my boxes. Just delicious stuff and going off how to find a few more bottles locally while it is available here in the OC.
Posted from CellarTracker
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Andrew M

#925 Post by Andrew M » December 23rd, 2019, 7:51 pm

At risk of alerting the others, +1 for the Longitude. Declared it our house sparkler after tasting in Vertus and have since picked up a case, probably gearing up for another soon. Strongly preferred it to the Latitude as well.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#926 Post by Frank Murray III » December 23rd, 2019, 7:59 pm

Andrew, I went back tonight to grab some more bottles and there was just one left. Someone else was kind to leave me one!

FWIW, it looks like Sec Wines in Portland has some for 45 bucks still.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#927 Post by Frank Murray III » December 25th, 2019, 4:21 pm

• NV Mouzon-Leroux & Fils Champagne Grand Cru l’Ascendant Extra Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (12/25/2019)
    This bottle has a later disgorge date than the one I wrote about this past summer. This one is March 2018, zero dosage, and a mostly even split of PN and Chard, in part from a solera back to 2010. This strikes me as gentle and more subtle, certainly not indicating its dosage which I think speaks to the balance of the wine. Juicy white fruits, some shading of red with some citrusy grapefruit and lime. The finish then shows a cool mix of toasted wood (this is raised in it) and the saline that I would look for from Verzy. Sometimes the zero dosage style can be a bit jarring if not done well, and in this instance of l'Ascendant, it works.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#928 Post by Charlie Carnes » December 27th, 2019, 6:48 am

Champagne Jerome Blin Cuvée Octave:
This is as good as 0 dosage can get. While it is crisp and tart in a very nice way, it is also full and creamy, as if mother nature said, "I'll take care of the dosage!" Hints of lemon custard, apple skins, and steely mineral. This was great, late Christmas morning, as I was finishing up my bacon and leek quiches, and what a match too! 2014 base/disg 6/2017
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#929 Post by Blake Brown » December 27th, 2019, 10:47 am

2017 GUY LAMANDIER BLANC de BLANC EXTRA BRUT CRAMANT GRAND CRU- I`m trying to remember how I got turned on to this bubbly and think it must have come from my dinner group; nonetheless, this is my first 2017 and certainly the first of this particular release from this producer; it had a medium yellow color and a nose of fresh citrus with lemongrass and straw in the background, but on the palate, the lemon grass and straw notes are most prevalent; it has nice feel, body and length; the 2nd time through there’s some ginger and spice accent as well; it very refreshing, but that straw, hay, grass part is very mindful of Sauvignon Blanc and for me, I thought that’s not what I prefer in a champagne as I poured it again.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
05735610-25A7-4A7F-9F75-4D3A8A7D0788_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#930 Post by Charlie Carnes » December 27th, 2019, 1:44 pm

1995 Oeno from Dom Perignon:Drank two of these over the holidays, and man are they great now! This is a singularly terrific wine. My last note mentioned lemon and d-limonene. I must say I fell short as this wine has so many perfect iterations of lemon in all of the forms that would make it great in Champagne. There is curd, and custard, and d-limonene, and pie crust, there were Avalons, Eurekas, Harveys, Meyers, and Rough to name a few. Never was it too tart, or too confectionary. It was just so balanced and perfect, with a very nice aspect of mineral perceptions. It was effortless to drink as well! 96 points
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#931 Post by Blake Brown » December 29th, 2019, 6:58 am

Also posted in a separate thread along with another wine:

2004 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay; the last few bottles of this vintage had been really good and with a few still in the cellar, I decided it was time to check in again and that was a good move as this was super splendid; it had inviting aromas of spice, brioche and ginger combined with bright citrus fruit; on the palate came more of the same with more distinct lemon, lime, orange peel and mango notes along with a streak of minerals; it was full bodied, had a creamy mousse that gave it a light honey like texture and its hallmark may have been its seamlessness from the nose through the finish. Tsar Alexander II would have been proud.
Napolean Bonaparte

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#932 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 29th, 2019, 7:46 am

Champagne Sunday! Paul Bara Brut Grand Rose. Delicious...while waiting to watch a bit of football. Very deep rose color and plenty of flavor and texture.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#933 Post by K John Joseph » December 30th, 2019, 7:09 am

2008 Bollinger Grand Annee - mid yellow/light gold in color with yeast roll and lees on the nose layered with apple tart and lemon oil and a nice finish of honeysuckle. Slightly oxidative, but just a touch. Big obvious note here is the rich biscuit, fruit, florals contrasted against a steely, crisp lemony acidity that cleans everything up. This has the bones of something really nice, but it is way young and still a little abrasive. Scoring on potential, this is around 94-95 to me. Don't crack em for a few years though.

and lots of Bereche Brut Reserve
J0hn-J-K4ne

Pat Esposito

#934 Post by Pat Esposito » December 30th, 2019, 10:38 am

1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires. Have had this wine half dozen times over the last few years, and it really is drinking great right now.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#935 Post by Blake Brown » December 30th, 2019, 11:17 am

Pat Esposito wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 10:38 am
1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires. Have had this wine half dozen times over the last few years, and it really is drinking great right now.
Totally agree. It was one of the best of many superb champagnes last year when I did an event. We had 2 Cristal, Dom, Taittinger CdC, Philipponnat CdG and 2 Krugs plus more. Here's my notes from then:

1995 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BLANC des MILLENAIRES BRUT- at the end of the evening, this turns out to be one of the top bubblies on the night; it just took one sip for me to realize this was very special and the more I tasted it, the more I loved it; the color was yellow gold; the nose was so inviting with fresh and fragrant floral and citrus fruit notes; on the palate it gave rich lemon, lime and green apple notes with a streak of spice with all staying the course for a grand finish; it had a creamy mousse to add to the sensory pleasure; I’m thinking, this can hold its own amongst the big boys, some of which are forthcoming.
Napolean Bonaparte

Pat Esposito

#936 Post by Pat Esposito » December 31st, 2019, 5:32 am

Blake Brown wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 11:17 am
Pat Esposito wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 10:38 am
Totally agree. It was one of the best of many superb champagnes last year when I did an event. We had 2 Cristal, Dom, Taittinger CdC, Philipponnat CdG and 2 Krugs plus more. Here's my notes from then:

1995 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BLANC des MILLENAIRES BRUT- at the end of the evening, this turns out to be one of the top bubblies on the night; it just took one sip for me to realize this was very special and the more I tasted it, the more I loved it; the color was yellow gold; the nose was so inviting with fresh and fragrant floral and citrus fruit notes; on the palate it gave rich lemon, lime and green apple notes with a streak of spice with all staying the course for a grand finish; it had a creamy mousse to add to the sensory pleasure; I’m thinking, this can hold its own amongst the big boys, some of which are forthcoming.
Thank you for putting tasting notes to what was going through my head, I am terrible with notes! Such a beautiful balance of age with fresh acidity and bubbles as well. Thankfully have two bottles left.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#937 Post by Blake Brown » January 2nd, 2020, 8:57 am

On NYE:

02` Taittinger Comtes de Champange BdB in Magnum
02` Gaston Chiquet BdB in Magnum
14` Pierre Peters L`Esptrit BdB
NV Launois Veuve Clemence
06` Charles Heissieck Brut Rose in Magnum
Napolean Bonaparte

Andrew Coll

#938 Post by Andrew Coll » January 2nd, 2020, 9:10 am

J. Rock wrote:
Danius Barzdukas wrote:
Agreed, for me the flavors of older champagne don't improve or compliment sushi well.
Andrew Collins

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#939 Post by K John Joseph » January 2nd, 2020, 12:00 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:57 am
On NYE:

02` Taittinger Comtes de Champange BdB in Magnum
02` Gaston Chiquet BdB in Magnum
14` Pierre Peters L`Esptrit BdB
NV Launois Veuve Clemence
06` Charles Heissieck Brut Rose in Magnum
2008 Dom Perignon - badly corked (noooooooooooo!)
2011 J. Schram Rose - Nice peach and underripe strawberry with biscuit, creme pat., ginger. Nice wine, not mind blowing, but nice.
J0hn-J-K4ne

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#940 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » January 2nd, 2020, 2:32 pm

Andrew Coll wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 9:10 am
J. Rock wrote:
Danius Barzdukas wrote:
Agreed, for me the flavors of older champagne don't improve or compliment sushi well.
While I agree with the generalization that most "older" Champagnes aren't the best match for most sushi, everyone has their own definition of what constitutes "older". For me, 1995 and younger Champagne generally don't have mature notes of honey, nuts or caramel.

As far as the 1999 DP not being a good match, I think that is more of a function of it being a weak vintage of DP and that it just isn't a very good bottle of Champagne.

Danius Barzdukas

#941 Post by Danius Barzdukas » January 2nd, 2020, 4:22 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 2:32 pm
Andrew Coll wrote:
J. Rock wrote:

While I agree with the generalization that most "older" Champagnes aren't the best match for most sushi, everyone has their own definition of what constitutes "older". For me, 1995 and younger Champagne generally don't have mature notes of honey, nuts or caramel.

As far as the 1999 DP not being a good match, I think that is more of a function of it being a weak vintage of DP and that it just isn't a very good bottle of Champagne.
Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate that the 1999 DP isn't that good, we have two more bottles for future anniversaries so we can be slightly disappointed two more times. We had the Kirkland Champagne Brut this evening with homemade sushi and it was a good match. Quite lively with a lemony taste, and some orange fruit as well. A medium texture. Of course the sushi was simple, but the champagne went well with the rice. The wine is produced by Manuel Jannison of Verzenay according to the label. For $20, I'd probably buy this again.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#942 Post by Jay Miller » January 2nd, 2020, 5:26 pm

Opened a 2015 Bereche Rive Gauche for an early New Years celebration. Much better than the 2014.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#943 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » January 2nd, 2020, 6:32 pm

Slightly off topic, but does anyone subscribe to Peter Liem’s Champagne guide subscription service? Worth it?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Andrew Coll

#944 Post by Andrew Coll » January 4th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Danius Barzdukas wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 4:22 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 2:32 pm
Andrew Coll wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. It's unfortunate that the 1999 DP isn't that good, we have two more bottles for future anniversaries so we can be slightly disappointed two more times. We had the Kirkland Champagne Brut this evening with homemade sushi and it was a good match. Quite lively with a lemony taste, and some orange fruit as well. A medium texture. Of course the sushi was simple, but the champagne went well with the rice. The wine is produced by Manuel Jannison of Verzenay according to the label. For $20, I'd probably buy this again.
Added to tomorrow's Costco shopping list.
Andrew Collins

Yao C

#945 Post by Yao C » January 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Just to bring this thread back to the front page:

2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
Combines steely precision with a round core of fruit in a package that is harmonious and complete; wonderfully realized, and shows an uncommon degree of class; improves with warmth and time in the glass; my husband, who usually prefers much richer, bigger champagnes, is also a fan; wonder where this will go in the future; good plus with upside
C h 0 o n 6

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#946 Post by Blake Brown » January 16th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Bubbly at a luncheon:

2000 MOET & CHANDON DOM PERIGNON- 100% Grand & Premier Cru, 51% Chardonnay, 49% Pinot Noir; aged 7 years on the lees; disgorged July 2008; dosage: 6 g/l; this is the 5th bottle of a 6 pack I bought when first released and it was just a bit oxidized most noticeable in the nose and after taste, but not seen in the color which was a medium yellow with a small amount of amber hue; regardless, it had many redeeming qualities including honeysuckle and caramel infused citrus and stone fruit; honeyed brioche and sweet lemon zest were most prevalent on the palate and the incredible mouthfeel was creamy smooth; more than anything else, it had perfect balance. This was definitely the most advanced of the 5 I’ve had.

2008 MOET & CHANDON DOM PERIGNON- this was absolutely fabulous and for those who say it’s way too young and give it some years/ decades, I say I’ll take my chances and go for it now and over the next few years and THEN the next decade; it had so much elegance and reeked of class and royalty; fresh citrus fruit was enhanced by a streak of allspice in the nose and then the taste profile had all of that and more with a bit of toasty brioche and lemon, lime and kiwi; it just hit all of the right spots and held on with consistency; great champagne from the best vintage of the decade.

2008 BILLECART-SALMON BRUT- 65% Pinot Noir consisting of 1er and Grand Crus from the Montagne de Reims and the Vallee de la Marne and 35% Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs; light yellow color; it had a very nice inviting spicy citrus nose along with distinct gardena aromas; on the palate came more of the same with lemon, grapefruit and pear notes; it had a nice easy mousse and finished with a refreshing dose of citrus confirming its bright acidity.

2006 HENRIOT BRUT MILLESIME- this was a full bodied, very rich bubbly with some toasty brioche accents to the ripe citrus fruit; it had great feel and held on for a nice refreshing finish.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#947 Post by Blake Brown » January 16th, 2020, 1:18 pm

The WOTN at a recent dinner:

2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT ROSE- I drink a lot of rose champagne and sometimes forget what it’s like to drink a ROSE and this one served to remind me of how special they can be; I bought 3 of this one with the understanding they were 06`, but the wine shop apologized and reduced the price for the 07` if I was interested and thankfully, I was; this was truly outstanding starting with huge inviting aromas of clove, red raspberry and red cherry with a bit of toastiness followed by more of the same and joined by intense ripe wild cranberry and maraschino cherry; it was so rich and very full bodied; its complexity almost overwhelmed
Napolean Bonaparte

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#948 Post by Frank Murray III » January 18th, 2020, 9:19 am

• NV Christophe Mignon Champagne Brut Nature - France, Champagne (1/18/2020)
    Disgorged 07/2018. No dosage, 100% Pinot Meunier. This showed very well, reminding me of the 2014 Marie-Courtin Resonance of last week. Both wines showed plenty of fruit expression, clean/crisp texture, lime, salinity and a core of berry. The Resonance had more intense berry while the Mignon was a touch more savory. Drinking this bottle last night reminds me of how much I like this producer and that I need to locate more of the range, including the Rose.

Stop the tariff!
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Corey Porche

#949 Post by Corey Porche » January 18th, 2020, 10:20 am

2010 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque - Fleur de Champagne Brut Millesime Rose

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#950 Post by Blake Brown » January 18th, 2020, 10:59 am

NV POL ROGER RESERVE BRUT- made from a blend of equal parts of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay from 30 different crus; 25% reserve wines are used to produce this cuvée: I'd almost forgot how special the entry level champagne from this house is as it's been awhile; it was crisp and refreshing with bright acidity and lemon lime notes delivered in a lightly creamy mousse; its hallmark probably was its elegance.

Cheers,
Blake

102F6787-EC82-49D6-BE52-5C94BE604326_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Return to “Wine Talk”