What wine will you be driking in honor of Prince tonight?

Something from Minnesota? Sparkling? Something completely weird wine like Prince could seem? Wine coolers? In your little red Corvette maybe even while you party like it’s 1999?

Mega Purple.

Beat me to it, dammit.

Maybe I’ll drink an Apollonia 6 pack.

Lambrusco

Fittingly enough we have a tasting of “1999” Burgundy tonight.

He sang about cherry wine, so I will hit a young pinot.

2014 Williams Selyem Westside Neighbors and all Prince night on the turntable.

I am really bummed out.

Love so much of his work (not all though, depends on your vintage no doubt). When Doves Cry will prove itself truly iconic, will still be played in 50 years time and with no bassline! The true musicians’ musician. And not just the man himself, but those he worked with, gobsmacked at the talent he surrounded himself with, such is the drawcard of his own ability.

Can’t think of a proper wine to fit, doesn’t matter but for those who care, please raise a glass of something you love to a true musical genius. [drinks.gif]

Cheers
Tim

If you’ve never seen this, spend 7 minutes watching. At the tribute to George Harrison, you’d expect guys like Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne, and Tom Petty. Then there’s Prince, and everyone’s like “WTF is he doing up there?”… until he rips off the solo starting at 3:26 and all the other legends on stage disappear for the rest of the song.

[video]Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others -- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - YouTube

I was not in charge of the wine last night, but sometime soon I will raise a glass of a 1999.

dennis
that gave me the chills
thanks for posting

We had a 2011 Melini La Selvanella CCR. An under rated Chianti.

That clip is great. I remember seeing it on TV. The only one other then Prince who seems to be having any fun is George’s son. The rest of them look like they just had a barium enema.

Wow, that clip was incredible. You always knew what an amazing talent he was, but his genre and style didn’t normally showcase him soloing on guitar in that kind of fashion.

As far as wines to drink in his honor, maybe

When asked once what it felt like to be the greatest guitar player in the world Eric Clapton responded, “I don’t know. Ask Prince.”

I think I will mix up these for some women I know.

While I agree that there are some very morose looking mofos up there, it wasn’t all doom and gloom. Here’s a response I’d posted on another forum about whether Tom Petty looked pissed that Prince stole the show…

About the 4:50 mark of the video, you can see Prince and TPetty lock eyes when he goes to the pedals. Dhani Harrison has a gleeful look as he realizes Prince isn’t done. Clearly in the 5:00-5:10 portion of the video, TPetty smiles at Prince and is in that “hunched over while playing an instrument” stance that is universally known as “rocking out”. TPetty was definitely rocking out to the amazingness emanating from Prince’s guitar.

I echo the sentiments posted here that TPetty just has that natural sourpuss of a resting bitchface most of the time. But at that point of the performance I mention above, he’s totally locked into what Prince is doing onstage.

The ‘folk’ story goes, before this performance, Petty asked Prince in kind of a pissy way; “…so, can you play guitar?” - and I guess was a bit miffed that his guitarist (Mike Campbell) wasn’t doing all the solos. So Prince had some fun with him.

Glad everyone appreciated that. Nearly every Top 100 Guitarist list neglects to even mention either Prince or Neil Giraldo (Pat Benatar’s husband and lead guitarist). That’s f

king criminal if you ask me.

That is amazing!

I thought of Prince as the Numero Uno living guitarist!

Awesome clip, Dennis! Appreciate you posting it. What a talented musician he was. RIP.

Thanks,
Ed

Great video, Dennis.

We drank a 1999 Pride Reserve Claret last night.