Congruence Wines calling it a day

I just received this e mail from Steve…

Hi, all! I’m reporting on my most recent trip to California. The main purpose of the trip was to finalize the blend on the 2014 Six Acres Vineyard cabernet sauvignon. Going in, I knew I’d be accessing two blends. Both had .5% of cabernet franc. One had 2% petit verdot and 2.5% malbec (first vintage malbec was available for blending) and the other 2.5% petit verdot and 2% malbec. After repeated tastings and much thought, I decided to not decide. I’ll be doing two bottlings from the vintage – most likely named after our two deceased family dogs.

I hope it will be an interesting experience for you – seeing how small differences in the blending grapes make differences in the final wine. I can tell you the wines are significantly different but I can’t say I like one better. So why banish one to never being tasted?

A further note – the 2014 Six Acres cab will be my last commercial bottling under the Congruence label. During this past trip, I mulled over the future of Congruence. For a large variety of reasons, I have made this decision. The reasons cover a wide terrain, but almost all of them pointed to calling it a day with this venture. I intend to keep making wine, but will be doing it on a hobby basis in the future. I have a barrel of 2015 Six Acres picked out and will be working on it for the next year. I will doing an organized dissolution of the company, including its inventory, over the remainder of 2016. What I don’t sell will go into my cellar, and I won’t be complaining. J

I want to thank all of you for supporting Congruence Wines over the past almost 10 years. I’ve been able to make many, many wines of which I am very proud. They continue to make very strong showings in the tasting notes on www.cellartracker.com. We will be enjoying all of these wines for many years and I will relish that. It’s pretty incredible to me that I’ve been able to do what I’ve done with Congruence and, at the end of the day, I am truly blessed to have had the opportunity.

The biggest thank you has to go to Sue. She supported my idea and really made it possible to do. When Crushpad went under and we had to put together a large sum of money to finish the 14 barrels of wine in production or walk away from them, she agreed with me that we should finish those wines. The demise of Crushpad was a crushing blow and it wasn’t an easy decision to pony up that money, but I am so happy we did that. So, again, thanks so much for all you did, Sue.

Now, it’s 4/20, so the first blowout of Congruence wines – the 2011 Grist Vineyard Zinfandel. Here are the Cellartracker notes:

We had a couple of bottles over dinner two Sundays ago. I think the wine has turned into what I had hoped to make – a true claret-style zinfandel that is just beginning to come into its own. We had rack of lamb and the wine absolutely shone, elegant and well-balanced.

For the next three weeks (until May 11), the 2011 Grist will available for ½ price - $20 per bottle. Discount code is “420” (for $20). Case orders will have shipping included. Buy for yourself, buy for friends, tell your friends. If you live in a state (e.g. New Jersey and Pennsylvania) for which you can’t place an order through the website (www.congruencewines.com), I will have to place your order. Shoot me an email and we’ll put it together.

The cabs will begin to be sold after the zinfandel. I anticipate making an offer on the 2008 Napa cab sometime around mid-May and then take a break until September. The only ones that won’t be blown out are the 2010 Napa cab and the 2013 Six Acres cab because there is just too little of them to do that. So please load up on the zinfandel now and earmark some funds for the 2008, 2009 and 2011 Napa cabs and the 2010 and 2011 Coombsville Reserve cabs.

Again, thank you so much for all your support over these years and a special thanks to Sue. Cheers! Steve

Steve always seemed like a really decent man. Hopefully he’s on to bigger and better things.

The berserker day case I purchased awhile back was one of my favorites. It’s too bad because his wines were great.

Steve and Sue are wonderful people whom I am proud to call friends.
This could not have been an easy decision for them. I have always been a fan of the wines and still have many in my cellar including the maiden voyage 2007. I wish them both much happinesses in all they do moving forward. Don’t be surprised if you see Steve as a négociant in Burgundy soon. This guy’s gotta move. :slight_smile:

Thanks, all. As I said in the e-letter, there are a lot of reasons for the decision. One of them is that I am approaching, quickly, retirement age. I have enough other things on my plate that actually retiring is an appealing concept which I believe I will explore. [cheers.gif] Oh, and feel free to pop onto the site, take advantage of some good pricing and help this dream come true, too. champagne.gif

Best of luck on your next phase Steve!

Sorry to hear this, but understand. After having bought the 2009 on BD a couple of years ago, I was hooked. This year a bought some of the Six Acres. I will send a PM regarding a procurement since I am in a no-ship to state. :frowning:

I’m sorry to see another great Berserker winery disappear, but certainly do wish you well in whatever form of retirement you choose. Have fun Steve! You’ve earned it.

ps - A short note on excellent customer service: Steve offered to drive my order of 2010 Reserve to my house because of shipping issues.

Good luck to you, Steve.

This email posted on the 11th from Steve in case some of you are interested.
Hello, all! I’ll leave the Zinfandel offer open for a couple of days. If you need a reminder of what the 2011 Grist Zinfandel deal was, shoot me an email.

Stage 2 – valid from now until the end of May. We will take the summer off before resuming with Stage 3. $30 per bottle discount of the 2008 Napa Cabernet Sauvignon – the sale price is $45 per bottle. As always, free shipping applies to all case orders. People in states that do not show up on the ordering page of www.congruencewines.com must contact me directly so we can complete the order. Discount code is “2008Napa”.

Enjoy! I love this wine! Wines that were served on the same table at dinner and had the Congruence 2008 preferred to them include the 2008 Maybach, all the 2008 offerings of World’s End Wines, the 2008 Myriad Dr. Crane and a few others I probably forget. To be fair, Kapcsandy’s 2008 State Lane cuvee did edge out the 2008 Congruence at one dinner. Notes on the 2008 can be found at:

I don’t think you can go wrong with this one. It’s really an outstanding wine; if you get a case, you come in under $600; the wine has just started to hit its drinking window; I’m pretty sure the wine has at least 10 years, if not more, ahead of it; and I’ve cellared it for you on my dime for almost 6 years under ideal conditions. I’d be backing up the truck if I were a cab drinker. [cheers.gif]

I see a lot of orders dangling uncompleted when I look in my admin panel window. If you are having any issue with your order, please email me at steve@congruencewines.com.

order in on the cab. Seems like a no brainer!!

Is there zinfandel from the 420 left as well as being able to get some 2008 Cab?

I am sorry for this news - I have the 2009 & 2010 in my cellar- I actually haven’t opened either yet.
I think I was supposed to open the 2010 first?

Good luck to Steve.
Cheers
Rip

Thanks, Rip. The 2010 Napa is a little more ready to drink. Just had one Friday, in fact. Very enjoyable. The 2009 isn’t far behind, though. An hour or so of air would help the 2009.

Gonna miss you. I think I will hold on to mine another year or two. Irreplaceable.

Halfway through my first bottle of the 2008. Excellent wine. Firing on all cylinders. Glad I bought a case, and am thinking about more.

Thanks, Eric. I’m just an email away if you do want more. [cheers.gif]

I think Steve is shutting down the brand today. We love his wines and I tip my hat to anyone willing to pursue a dream. I wish Steve and his family all the best.

Honored to have his 2014 Six Acres BDIX wines in my cellar.