Do you ever bring wine to a wedding reception?

We will be going to the wedding of a son of one of our friends this weekend. At our table will be three other couples, who like ourselves, enjoy drinking good wine. Would it be rude to bring a couple of bottles to share during dinner?

This just seems rude to me.

Yes it is. Suck it up for one day and honor the bride and groom.

Discretely take some hits of E and bomb it at the martini fountain.

Problem solved.

oh yeah…here are the notes (notes are from WB’er Adrian So):

https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/event.asp?iEvent=29943

Once. At the request of the father of the bride, a wine buddy who knew the official offerings allowed by the caterer would be, umm, less than stellar and who wanted something good to drink.

I might be the biggest “bring wine with you everywhere and drink wine with everything” guy on the board, but I wouldn’t. Open a great bottle and share it with your lady or a friend right before the wedding.

i brought a bottle to my step brother’s rehersal dinner… no one drank it so my step dad/my mom took it back to their hotel and next day at the wedding brought it out and opened it.

so this would be the groom’s dad doing this… so we all shared a glass and people were quite pleased with it (a 95 Clerc Milon if i remember right)…

Just no.

JD

Ask your host. [whistle.gif]

After bringing wine to my sons wedding (yeah yeah, as the father of the groom, I was allowed), I asked a friend if I could bring a bottle to the wedding of his daughter and s.o. His response… only if I shared a pour with him.

Ask.

Yes.

One time it was one of our wine buddies getting married. A few of us had been together weekly for many years. He knew that most of his guests wouldn’t care one way or another and we would all see it as another reason to drink some good bottles, so he suggested it and made sure that we were all at the same few tables. It was a big wedding and he had friends from many different areas of his life - most of them knew that he was kind of a wine freak, so they didn’t take offense that some of his wine friends were there and we shared with those who were interested.

I’ve done it on other occasions when I knew that some other wine friends would be there. I’ve never done it on my own w/out mentioning it first.

no.

I don’t think it’s a big deal if you do it discreetly. I asked my wife and she said she didn’t think it is a big deal either (and she is very conservative). The bride and groom are obviously very busy and would never know the difference.

Very few wedding venues allow BYOB and those that do usually charge a stiff corkage. Not to mention, it’s just plain tacky. Drink some cocktails or beer for one night, it won’t kill you.

As another plan, find out what the wines are that they will be serving, buy some, dump the wine, and refill the bottles with your desired beverages. No one will be the wiser.

You will spend the evening smirking bigger than knowing your date is going commando.

By the time you get home, or sooner, you’ll be all over each other.

Believe me, this one works.

Bit of advice: go into the rest room separately and be done with your tryst in 20 minutes or less.

Caution: if you suggest it to your date and she gets and evil glint in her eye, but has never done that with you before, you better do your best work, 'cause you’re being compared to a memory.

I suppose that I will probably not bring any wine to the reception, although I know that I could do this discreetly. A couple of years ago we went to the reception of the daughter of another close friend. The father of the groom, who enjoys good wines, brought a case of Gaja Promis to the reception. He passed them out discreetly to the people he knew were “wine drinkers.” We got one and no one knew any differently.

No, I wouldn´t do that, could be an offense to the host.

What I often do: I give the young married couple a voucher for a fine bottle of wine of the vintage of their marriage, to be delivered two years later … and for drinking on there 10th or 15th anniversary.

If you are desperate you can have a glass or two of good wine at home before you come.

You may not have known other people knew because they had the good manners not to say anything. This very thing happened at a wedding we went to a few years ago, and trust me, it was noticed (also done discreetly). No one said anything because heck, we’re guests and they could serve us nothing, but everyone thought it was a tacky thing to do.

No.