TN: Hdr Closing Tasting

HDR CLOSING TASTING - (4/19/2016)

The closing tasting for this years Hospice du Rhone concentrated on current releases. Again, there were about 150 wineries, each pouring multiple wines. One had to be judicious in terms of time, but more stamina. I managed to taste for almost the full four hours as this time i mixed in some water and some of the food from purveyors that was available. There were still so many wines I missed and so many I wish I could have spent more time with. That is especially true for this tasting as the wines were often very young and in need to air to coax them out. These are my impressions taken contemporaneously (you didn’t think I could memorize all of this). The tasting was not packed but it was busy. Still, only a few places had a line and it wasn’t bad. It was great to meet more people, some working some attending.

• 2014 E. Guigal Condrieu La Doriane - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
    Beautiful showing so this. Limes on the nose. Slight oak but less than expected. Oily texture. Obviously primary and in need of cellar time. Very pretty. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Nice showing. Meaty nose with black cherries. Very deep. 80/20 Mourvedre/Grenache. Some tannins. Drinking well though. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Quite tannic. Seems to have some ripe fruit but probably a bit shut down. Clipped finish. Hard to judge, but giving it the benefit of producer/vintage, seems like it just needs cellar time right now. Its good but I might expect better. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 E. Guigal St. Joseph Vignes de L’Hospice - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    Very nice showing. Young. Nose is meaty with black cherries. Soft. Complex though tight. Upside. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Château d’Ampuis - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Also seemed to be a bit shut down. The nose is horsey. With coaxing some black raspberries come out. The palate is more open with a nice accessibility and complexity. Very smooth finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Ferrer Bobet Priorat Vinyes Velles - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat
    Inky purple. The nose has black raspberries and clay. More black cherries on the palate. Up front and ripe. No idea where this goes, but its nice now. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Château de Beaucastel Côtes du Rhône Coudoulet de Beaucastel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône
    Really quite enjoyable. Cherries on the nose with some spice and floral. Somewhat deep. Mild tannins. Concentrated though on the palate. Nice finish. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Different than the Coudoulet but not necessarily better at this point. dark cherries but clean on the nose. Tannins and dark cherries on the palate. Obviously some upside development to come. Good finish. (90 pts.)
  • 2014 Denner Theresa - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Gorgeous showing. Fruity. Peaches and melons on the nose, but more going on to. Slightly sweet on the palate. Great acidity. Lively and fresh yet big and powerful. Impressive. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Denner Stratus - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This is mourvedre. Purple. Nose of black cherries, spice and Asian spice. Very ripe and delicious. Firm tannins. Great texture. Needs time but great now. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Denner Sacred Burro - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Carriagne. Cherries on the nose with some spice. A bit bitter cherry (not a bad thing) on the palate. Licorice on the finish. great texture. (93 pts.)
  • 2013 Denner The Ditch Digger - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    My favorite of the group. It seemed to be the most ready and with the most complexity today. That may change. Black raspberries, dark cherries, spice and floral notes. A bit earthy as well. Complex. Some sweet tannins. Long finish. (95 pts.)
  • 2013 Denner The Dirt Worshipper - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This has 1% Rousanne which is different. Intense and concentrated. Black raspberries on the nose and palate. Very tannic. Seems the most backward of the four reds. Still, there is this powerful core that is very nice. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Turley The White Coat - USA, California
    Light gold. Waxy lemons. Easy drinking. Thinner in body. Nice wine if the pricing is good. (88 pts.)
  • 2013 Turley Petite Syrah Pesenti Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Inky purple. Very nice nose of black raspberries and dirt. Bold black raspberry fruit on the palate. Surprisingly open and drinking well now. Thick tannins though suggest a long life. (93 pts.)
  • 2013 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Inky purple in color. Black raspberries, violets and roasted meats on the nose carrying thru to the palate. No alcohol showing but this is a big wine. It was great to try as now I can let my bottles sleep. Huge upside I am sure. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Saxum Bone Rock James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Willow Creek District
    Again, so early, but this has huge upside. Great texture. Nose of black raspberries, gamey meats, black olives and roasted herbs. Palate is huge but lots of fruit and tannins. Long finish. I do love these wines and this looks a lot like 08 to me only a bit better. It will be fun to watch these develop. (97 pts.)
  • 2015 Château d’Or et de Gueules Costières-de-Nîmes Les Cimels - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Costières-de-Nîmes
    First, I felt terrible, the owner and Robert Kacher were there pouring her wines. There were a lot of them. Maybe ten in all. I know it isn’t the best form to just choose a few, but i did not have the time or the palate to drink all of them. I would love to revisit but of course, won’t likely get that chance. Add to that, these see such limited distribution and this was one of the regrets from HdR as all the wines were excellent but even better values.

This rose has a wonderfully fresh and vibrant nose. Cherries and peaches with slight herbs. That follows thru to the slightly oily palate. Nice vibrancy. In fact, I just bought some upon returning home. (89 pts.)

• 2013 Château d’Or et de Gueules Costières-de-Nîmes Cuvée Trassegum - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Costières-de-Nîmes
    Black cherries and black raspberries. Nice acidity. Firm tannins. Clean. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 Château d’Or et de Gueules Costières-de-Nîmes La Noblesa - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Costières-de-Nîmes
    Dark purple. Black raspberries and dark cherries with spice and salinity on the nose. Very tannic. clearly needs some time. Super concentrated though. Lots of upside potential here. Great acidity. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Stolpman Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Ballard Canyon
    i have always been a fan of this vineyard. It was nice to meet Peter Stolpman. He is very knowledgeable about his vineyard and passionate about the wines. Another person I have “known” online but never met.

This is from estate grown fruit. very nice. with black raspberries, black pepper and some roasted meats. Very bright and energetic. Medium tannins. Tight complexity. Needs time/air but delicious. (92 pts.)

• 2012 Stolpman Syrah Ruben’s Block - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley
    A step up. Black raspberries, black pepper, roasted meats on the nose. Very complex on the palate if still tight. Medium tannins. Great mouth feel. Long finish. Very bright acidity. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Stolpman Syrah Originals - USA, California, Central Coast, Ballard Canyon
    And another step up. Seems like there is more new oak on this but not sure. The nose has the added element of chocolate to the black raspberries, pepper and roasted meats. On the palate, it seems tighter but perhaps more going on. Delicious though at this stage. (94 pts.)
  • 2005 Stolpman Syrah Hilltops - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley
    I missed Stolpman on Day 1 and there were a few mags of various vintages still open and left over but under the table. Peter said it was not as good today, but poured some anyway. So no rating. Still, I found the nose slightly oxidized but still nice. very fresh and lively on the palate. Good fruit. I have no doubt these will age just fine. Plenty of nice black raspberry fruit. Good complexity.
  • 2013 Campesino Syrah Sangiacomo Old Lakeville Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Always great to see Macario. I love his Syrah but this was my first glimpse at the 13. Another winner for sure. Nice black raspberry fruit. Some black pepper and roasted herbs. It runs down the middle in style as ripe fruit from a cooler climate site. Love that. Fresh. Moderate tannins. Needs time based on prior vintages. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Mollydooker Shiraz Carnival of Love - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    These are always going to be controversial. Something I learned is that the Marquis Philips wines of 01 thru 04 used the same vineyards that Mollydooker uses starting in 05. That make sense but I did not know that. The 14 is what you would expect. Big and fruity. Lots of black raspberries. Juicy and delicious. Nothing coy here. If you love this style, this is another one. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Mollydooker Shiraz Carnival of Love - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Actually seemed to be just a bit mroe refined than the 14. I do find these mellow a bit with age. Having had the 05 recently, its not so much development, as they don’t change much, as a slight integration. They also don’t show much age at 10 years. Same story - love it or hate it. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Jaffurs Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    I always say this is one of the great values in the wine world. World class, ages well, and especially on the futures program, great pricing. Nice black raspberry fruit, black pepper and bit of grilled meats. Lush texture. Good acidity. Delicious. Gaining some complexity but needs some time. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Jaffurs Syrah Kimsey - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    Nice black raspberry fruit. Warm and delicious. Slight tannins. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Jaffurs Syrah Larner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    A step or two up. Tannic. More concentrated. Black raspberries. Spice. Long finish. Ripe fruit. Needs time. (93 pts.)
  • 2013 Jaffurs Syrah Upslope - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    Very deep. Tight complexity. firm tannins. Lush black raspberry fruit. Long finish. Patience will be rewarded. (94 pts.)
  • 2010 Law Estate Wines Intrepid - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    A new winery for me. I had heard good things about this winery, but was unimpressed with this vintage. Perhaps I did not have a proper bottle, but nothing noticeable. It may be just totally shut down. No nose. Not much fruit on the palate. Lovely texture. Sweet fruit on the finish. Its not bad, but seemed to be lacking. (88 pts.)
  • 2013 Law Estate Wines Intrepid - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    On the other hand, I liked this 13. Sure, it is also tight but the potential is there. Black raspberries and slight yeast on the nose. Great fruit although densely packed on the palate. Black raspberries and some grilled herbs. Nice texture. Big finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Law Estate Wines Sagacious - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    I didn’t rate this one. My notes wondered if they had issues in 2010 or the wines are shut down tight. The people at the table with me agreed that both 2010’s showed nothing at this point. Love to hear others thoughts.
  • 2011 Linne Calodo Perfectionist - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This is a bigger ripe wine especially for 2011. Yet still crisp acidity. Nice black currants and black pepper. Good texture. Slightly candied on the finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Linne Calodo Nemesis - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Very good wine. Complete and almost seamless. Lots of black raspberry fruit, some blueberries. Delicious. Slight tannins. Long bright finish. (94 pts.)
  • 2012 Kale Wines Home Run Cuvée Kick Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Very nice showing. Cool climate profile. Black raspberries, some black cherries and pepper. Medium tannins. Nice lean texture. Bright acidity. Good finish. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Kale Wines Broken Ankle Stagecoach Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County
    This is a bit riper but more middle of the road in style. The nose has nice black raspberry fruit with some black pepper. On the palate, leaner but polished fruit. Good acidity. Long finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Epoch Estate Wines Sensibility Paderewski Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This was an unreleased blend (or possibly a barrel sample). It is young and in need of time. :wink: Nice black cherry fruit. Surprisingly light tannins at this stage. I am sure they will emerge. Good acidity and concentration. Lots of upside. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Epoch Estate Wines Ingenuity - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This is a GSM blend. Inky purple in color. The nose shows black raspberries, some cherries, black pepper and roasted meats. On the palate, this is big, thick and rich. That said, very concentrated as well. Good acidity. Tannic. Lots of upside. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Epoch Estate Wines Authenticity Paderewski Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Purple in color. The nose shows black raspberries, blueberries, black pepper and black olives. Very nice. On the palate, this is very concentrated and tight complexity. Lots of fruit. Delicious. Long finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine de Cristia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    The same wine poured at the seminar I believe. Another great showing. Inky purple. The nose has black raspberries, black cherries, slightly earthy. On the palate, this is ripe and deep. drinking very well now. Medium tannins. Long finish. Surprisingly open. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Domaine de la Solitude (Lançon Père et Fils) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Solid wine. Nice black cherry fruit. A nice complexity. I would like a bit more acidity. Drink earlier. (89 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine Saint Préfert Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Nice big cherry and dark cherry fruit on the nose. Some floral notes. A bit earthy as well. On the palate, there are tannins, but this has a seamless complex quality to it that is quite good. Nice dark cherry fruit. Good finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine Saint Préfert Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Auguste Favier - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This was really good. Its everything the regular cuvee is only more intense. earthy with dark cherries and black raspberries. Bright acidity. Complex though tightly packed. Long finish. Plenty of upside as well. Maybe the best CdP of the weekend. (95 pts.)
  • 2013 Paul Lato Syrah Cinematique Larner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley
    This is really good. Black raspberries. Very ripe nose and palate. Yet, it all works in a seamless way. Medium tannins. Lush fruit. Deep. Good bright acidity. Sweet finish. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Paul Lato Syrah Il Padrino Bien Nacido Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley
    Purple in color. Like the Larner just a bit less of everything. Still a great texture. Complex. Bright acidity. Long finish. Lots of black raspberry fruit, black pepper and slightly roasted herbs. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Kilikanoon Shiraz Killerman’s Run - Australia, South Australia
    Its been a while since I had any of this. Dusty nose with black raspberries and pepper. On the palate, not over the top. Nice black raspberry fruit. good acidity. Need to revisit these. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Innocent Bystander Shiraz Mea Culpa Yarra Valley - Australia, Victoria, Port Phillip, Yarra Valley
    Purple in color. Earthy nose. Black raspberries. Slightly dusty on the nose. Black raspberry fruit and peppery on the palate. Juicy acidity. Medium tannins. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Jasper Hill Shiraz Georgia’s Paddock - Australia, Victoria, Central Victoria, Heathcote
    I really liked this. Again, it had been years since I have had one. The nose has black raspberries, dusty. Lots of fruit on the palate. Big but not a monster. Juicy. (93 pts.)
  • 2013 John Duval Wines Shiraz Entity - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Boysenberry and peppery nose. Good fruit on the palate. Firm tannins. Juicy acidity. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 d’Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    Black raspberries and cedar on the nose. Tannic. Black raspberries on the palate. Its been a decade since I had one and about how I remembered it. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 ONX Reckoning - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    A new wine for me. From Paso. Black raspberries, black currants and spice. On the palate, this is concentrated. Lots of fruit. Lots of tannins especially on the finish. Big and fruity, needs time to settle down. Jeff Streakas, the assistant winemaker was pouring. very nice and passionate guy. Nice to meet him. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 ONX Petite Sirah Black Orchid - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Templeton Gap District
    This is a very large scale petite. It needs time to settle and may have some upside. Kind of rough right now in a Petite Sirah way. I liked it, but after so many wines, a little went a long way. Would love to revisit by itself or with some time/air. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Old Corral - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Its been a while since I bought these. They used to be in an over-sized bottle that didn’t fit anywhere IIRC. This was better. Cooler climate syrah. A nose of clay and black raspberries. Slight peppery. On the palate, nice fruit. Slight tannins. Different than i remember these wines being. Nice. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Coastview Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County
    Black raspberries and clay on the nose. This is a bigger warmer wine. A bit disjointed at this time. Some heat on the wine and finish. Drying tannins. Perhaps not in a great place, but I preferred the Corral. (90 pts.)
  • 2014 Brecon Estate Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This was very good and a new wine discovery for me. I think there is some upside of a couple points. 6% Petite. It is seamless and refreshing if that makes sense. After some big Paso Syrahs, this comes across much more balanced yet still with a lot of fruit and complexity. Black raspberry fruit. Some grilled meats on the nose. Medium tannins. Good acidity. Lots of juicy black raspberry fruit. Nice finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Brecon Estate Petite Sirah - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    A more restrained version of Petite Sirah which I enjoyed. Seems like it should age very well. Boysenberry fruit and slight earthy/clay on the nose. Good acidity. Matching fruit on the nose. Long finish. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Brecon Estate Mourvedre Paso Robles Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Similar to the bottle I had at lunch earlier in the day. Black cherries. Tight complexity. Not a monster and very polished. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Paix Sur Terre Mourvedre The Other One - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Another first time. The nose is good; clean with black cherries. The palate may be just a little too young right now. It is choppy with some heat. There is plenty of black cherry fruit and tannins as well. Revisit in a couple of years. (89 pts.)
  • 2007 Westerhold Family Vineyards Syrah Shootout Westerhold Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    Not sure where this came from, but I was told it won the Syrah shootout at a past HdR. Very nice. Black raspberry fruit and some graphite on the nose. Light tannins. Good fruit with nice complexity. Slight menthol on the finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 François Villard Syrah Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes L’Appel des Sereines - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes
    I thought I would just have this one expensive wine, instead I ended up trying most or all of the offerings as I found them quite interesting. This one is a basic Syrah which I believe retails under $20. Great value. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 François Villard Condrieu Les Terrasses du Palat - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
    Great nose. Lovely. Floral nose with ripe orange rind. Nice acidity. Oily texture. Slight heat on the long finish. Just a really pretty wine but the nose is the star. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 François Villard Condrieu Le Grand Vallon - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
    Gorgeous nose on this. Orange blossoms, crushed rocks, slight salinity, and white flowers. So pretty. On the palate, this has a slightly oily texture. Very tight but no heat. I suspect a few years will bring out some layering while not losing much freshness. very nice wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 François Villard St. Joseph Poivre et Sol - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    Ruby/purple in color. The nose is nice with boysenberries and some pepper. On the palate, this is soft, deep and reasonably complex. Nice tart black raspberries on the palate. finishes with tart acidity. Needs food to bring out its best I would think. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 François Villard Crozes-Hermitage Comme Une Evidence - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage
    I am assuming this is priced reasonably (it is a Crozes) and if so, there is a lot of value here. Nice black raspberry fruit. Good acidity. Nice fresh and bright acidity. Clean finish. Happy to drink this wine any time. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 François Villard St. Joseph Mairlant - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    Solid wine. Black raspberries on the nose and palate. A bit of roasted meats. clean. Good acidity. Long finish. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 François Villard St. Joseph Reflet - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    This is a step up. A very concentrated and intense wine. Tight black raspberry fruit. Great concentration. Juicy acidity. Very tannic. Long finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 François Villard Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes Seul en Scène - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes
    Interesting counter. This is really good but quite approachable. Lots of black raspberry fruit. Some black pepper. Floral nose. Soft and still complex. Ready to drink now it would seem. Light tannins. Long finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 François Villard Côte-Rôtie Le Gallet Blanc - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    I have only had this one time and that was a 2009 which I remember as being very good. This is a great wine, but not at that level. I assume vintage differences. Lots of black raspberries, black olives and slight roasted herbs. Good depth. Tannic. Deep. Nice finish. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Villa Creek Avenger - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This is a big tannic but fruity wine. Lots of black raspberries, blueberries and also smoke. Palate matches. Licorice on the finish. Tannic. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Villa Creek High Road James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Lots of black raspberries, blueberries, white pepper and lavender on the nose. The palate has more fruit than the other stuff at this time. Quite primary. Deep with tight complexity. Fresh acidity. Tannic. Long finish. Needs time but has some upside. (93 pts.)

And on to the final dinner.
Posted from CellarTracker

Don’t know how you do it, Loren. I’m exhausted just reading this note. [cheers.gif]

Great seeing you Loren. Thanks for stopping by.

Wow, incredible few days Loren. Can’t thank you enough for all the amazing notes. Pretty sure you deserve a medal or something after all that.

As for Law Estates, I’ve actually never tried the 2010’s, but was really impressed with the 2011’s, and the Sagacious in particular. Had a 12 not long ago but felt it needed time, so I’m sure the 13 was even tighter.

Thanks again for putting in the time to share your notes!