In Pursuit of Balance

It looks like the pendulum is swinging back toward the middle in California.

http://inpursuitofbalance.com/#/about/
http://inpursuitofbalance.com/#/about/wineries/

How so? The list looks pretty similar to prior years.

I think they are promoting themselves together, creating more awareness and holding events to let consumers know that there is an alternative to what Parker is giving huge scores. They have been around but my impression is that they are more on the radar.

This has been going on for several years. It’s not new.

They started in 2011.

Interesting to see Twomey on there, don’t exactly know why but don’t feel like they are a winery that would be considered part of this group. I have a friend who’s doing some wine making there I’d be curious to get her take on their involvement.

+1. In fact, just started to post the same thing.

+2…sorta my take as well.
I think the criteria for who can join is kinda elastic & arbitrary. Peay got thrown out of the organization. And their
wines are, to me, the epitome of balance. But, then, what would I know??
Tom

They do make a Pinot Noir from the 17-acre Monument Tree Vineyard in Anderson Valley, which, I believe is also used in a Copain Pinot. I have not personally had the Twomey wine but it certainly has the potential to be IPOB type wine.

As to their other wines from RRV and Napa…probably not so much.

Seriously? More like less on the radar.

Do a search on this forum for threads about them over the years. Nothing new and Parker is reviewing very little these days.

Moreover, what is this “pendulum” that people love to talk about? How can we isolate that?

IPOB, AFWE… I drink GTTD wines.

I can’t believe people are still talking about this rubbish. Some of these wines are great. I love Hirsch, Littorai, Varner (which I’m surprised to see here). But some of these producers are simply burg lovers trying to make burgs in California. In am forever In Pursuit of Good Wine. The alcohol level or the producers name is immaterial to that.

SMS,P

(Stop making sense, p)

:slight_smile:

How did they get thrown out, Tom? Who did the throwing?

The criticism of numbers = information about how a wine tastes has been a point of contention that has spun into a larger sphere than just ABV.

Recently, I have read (and probably responded to) posts judging the character of untasted wines solely based on pH, ABV, brix at harvest, harvest dates, VA, TA, etc.

I believe the wisdom of Mr Peay’s, “Yes, but How Does It Taste?” applies to all of it. The map is not the territory, and all that good stuff…

Indefinitely Propagating Old Bullshit

Same old, same old. rolleyes How about everyone just makes the style wine they want, and customers buy the style they like? We don’t need this crap. Taste is not black & white.

Why is having an association of a relatively small group of wineries such a threat to your drinking? Why does this organization anger people? They like wines in the style they enjoy drinking, the same as you.

So why do they have to make their “plight” sound like they’re fighting against Big Brother? How about they just make / drink their wine (some of which I really like) without turning it into a political rally?

I’m waiting for an IPOB flag with some type of catchy slogan claiming they fight against oppression. After all, here’s their “manifesto” (as if this is some kind of revolution):

http://inpursuitofbalance.com/#/about/manifesto-of-balance/

Or better yet, how about a benefit concert led by the Maestro of Balance to fund the rebellion?

So you are ascribing your political bias to them and getting angry at them for things they have not done.

Huh? WTF are you talking about? I’m not ascribing any ‘political bias’ to them. I’m not angry at them either. I’m pointing out that they’ve gone and made their valid point into a war, complete with a manifesto. IPOB took a fair idea that would probably be well received by many, and pushed too far. PETA did something similar but went even further. An organization that promotes kindness to animals is something any pet owner would agree with and probably donate to. Funding domestic terrorists is not popular though. So what’s next for IPOB - throwing MegaPurple on people carrying cult wines into a BYOB?

That’s my point - have all the last words you wish David.