2012 Chappellet Pritchard Hill Cab TN

I was expecting great things from this 99 pointer. But no - it has a flaw and I believe it will always have it. It is rhubarb tart in its delivery. The body is full, the flavors ripe and deep. I believe the greatest wines show their “perfection” promise even at the first early taste. Petrus 2000 did this to me, Lafluer 2000, Screaming Eagle in 1997. Some Harlans I have tasted had this rhubarb quality that I didn’t like but they had big alcohol and felt unbalanced. At least this wine is balanced, has great palpable tannins and besides the tart factor is really a great wine. Is the tartness the acid? It is not anything to do with the tannins. I believe it has something to do with the the way the fruit plays off the bright acid. The fruit may have this rhubarb quality to a degree and the acid amplifies it. Yes it will mellow in time and develop some secondary flavors because it is not over the top. But IMO the rhubarb quality will be it’s signature. Now if you like rhubarb this is your wine! I did enjoy it because it was a full-bodied, deep rich wine, Was it ethereal? Like other TN’s I have read? Not to me. It was a stacked and packed mama.

I was just offered this yesterday @$185; I am glad that I passed.