Harlan OWC Question

Just received a 2 pack of '12 Harlan. It came in a wood crate. Anyone have an idea how to open the crate without risking the wine? It looks like it slides off, but that is not possible. Suggestions?

Huh?

Is it screwed shut?

crowbars are always fun to use too…

Nailed shut. I could use a crow bar but I’m afraid of accidentally breaking a bottle.

If it is nailed shut, use a hammer and a flathead screwdriver. Tap the screwdriver into the space between the lid and case. Then lift.

I’ve never seen a Harlan case nailed shut before though…

I have seen multiple six bottle OWC that have a nailed lid.

Harlan normally has a staple holding the sliding top. Not hard to open.

Shove a flat head or any crowbar type device in. Your wine will be totally fine if you don’t use the wines themselvesas leverage and rip like the hulk… Done this hundreds of times. I would be quite impressed if you were able to break a bottle.

Nailed in is really really odd…

Pour gasoline on it and light it. The wood will burn away. Don’t worry about the wine. Glass doesn’t burn. I do it all the time.

8 Likes

It seems to be a very strong staple. I am sure a screwdriver in the gap, turned 1/2 turn, should get it open.

I opened mine by simply slipping the knife I used to open the box under the lid and prying each staple up. Really did not take much force and the wood was at no risk of splintering.

Sawzall is what I use.

1 Like

Unleaded or diesel. One must be careful not to ignite the contents of the glass bottles. Be sure to have a Class B fire extinguisher available, just in case.

Is it metaphoric that the wine is encased in a tomb of wood?

[wow.gif]

I’d suggest using a judicious amount of C-4.

1 Like

Drop it from exactly the right height. Use a friend’s Harlan delivery first to determine that height. Or open the box and replace the bottles with some cheap wine and reseal the box and drop it so if they do break hey it’s cheap wine and if they don’t break that’s the right height, put the Harlan back in the box, and drop from that same height. I do it all the time but not with wine or boxes.

The lid slides open - there is one very strong staple on the edge of the lid away from where you open it. Place screwdriver in gap and twist = it does damage the box a bit but no other way.

Appreciate the advice…but curious how/why you decided to answer a 6 year old question?

1 Like

5 !

2 Likes

Just noticed this, LOL!