Burgundy Vintage Chart?

We’ve seen the Chart Keith made which was reposted a few days ago:

I’d like to see a chart that discusses the general characteristics of each vintage. We just had a 2000 Comte de Vogue Chambolle-Musigny that was excellent. Light to mid weight body, soft tannins, wonderfully fruity, and light to mid acid. I’ve heard 2000 called a “soft” vintage and I’d like to find a more recent year that’s similar so I can buy more to cellar. Would 2007 be in a similar vein to 2000?

We also love 1995 so I’d like to know what recent year has the same boldness. From what I’ve read on Cellar Tracker, it seems 2009 might be the year to look at.

Maybe a chart is too much work. Anyone want to give a quick answer to what recent vintage should I look at which would be most like 2000 and 1995?

Try a look around at Bill Nanson’s or Clive Coates’ sites. IIRC Bill said something about hating vintage charts, but did one anyway.

2007? Sort of. They are drinking well now and don’t require a lot of thought while drinking them.

I’ve always thought of 2009 as a bigger, stronger 1989, but YMMV.

Dennis, you’ve been around here long enough to begin to suss out what the vintage characteristics are mostly like simply by reading (and perhaps rereading) the numerous threads on Burgundy here. Look at when people rank the vintages and see how their constructs fit in with yours, If you like softer years, 2011’s have been showing soft for me, if a bit savory. Whereas you might want to stay away from 2005 and 2001 because of the structure.

Certainly not identical but from a useful earlier maturing perspective then yes, I’d say 2007 is functionally the closest to 2000. I’d own more if I had any place to put them.

Maybe I’ve mentioned this before: I know a Joizey Berserker who has a mere 400-ish bottle in his cellar that could EASILY accommodate another few hundred with minimal organizational effort. His storage fee is pretty damn reasonable to begin with, and negotiable.

Thanks for (mostly) confirming my thought on the '00 / '07 aging similarity. [cheers.gif]

And thank you for the 2007 opinion also. [cheers.gif]

We are steering clear of most 2005’s, except for maybe Village level and a handful of 1ere Crus.

I’ll check them out. Thanks! [cheers.gif]

I find the vintage overviews on Jancis Robinson’s and Decanter’s websites useful. I look up the short article on each individual vintage rather than looking at charts.

I remember seeing that for Riesling (I think). They give a quick overview of the basics, like the relative acidity and/or tannin level, and a rating of the year on a 5 point scale. Thanks for the reminder!

Jasper Morris did a nice job in his book…though it is a bit dated in that regard, I guess.

I think winehog does a pretty good job.

Jasper’s latest edition (in French) goes from 1919 to 2014…Not bad!

I think 06 is the closest sibling to 00, but clearly my opinion may differ from others.
-paul

The comparison of 2007 to 2000 works (more or less) …

1995 and 2009 ? NO! Absolutely NOT IMHO.

The closest to 1995 might be 2008 … but 13 years from now …

An argument could certainly be made, but there seems to be more variation. NSG very strong, Volnay comparitively weak.

I wasn’t speaking about the regional differences per se, but I’ve always thought of 00 and 06 as rounder/softer vintages but 07 being a bit more lean and a bit more tension. That said, when 07 came out I didn’t love it and several winemakers did (Christophe Roumier, Jean Marie Fourrier) on their advice (not to name drop) I bought more and I’ve been very pleasantly surprised how they are coming into their own. It is interesting when you ask winemakers in burgundy to list their favorite vintages in the past 15yrs 05 is virtually never the first one they come up with.

cheers’

-paul

When I first tasted the 2000s, I thought they were thin and acidic but they added fruit over time and have become wonderful. I think the same is happening with the 2007s (although maybe with more acid). They both remind me of 1980.

2006 may be another 1979 or 1991. I think it is underrated. I loved the balance of the vintage from the beginning.

1999, 2005 and 2010 are somewhat unique vintages to me (some have said 2010 is similar to 1978, but I did not have enough 1978s young to judge). I guess that is the way of great vintages.

The one vintage I consistently love more than people around me is 1996. I guess it is a German wine lover’s vintage.

Someone compared 1989 and 2009. Interesting comparison. Not sure.

Howard–great post. I need to give 2007 more time in hopes that they gain complexity. I sure am pleased with the way many 2000s are drinking.
I’m also a 1996 fan.