"Comfort food" wine/producer

As I drink some Foillard 2011 Corcelette while doing some cellartracker maintenance I am reminded of the first time I had this wine with great friends in France and can’t help but be transported back to good times. Not to mention the wine is just plain delicious – It’s like comfort food.

Which brings me to my post-- I’m interested to hear about wines that just remind you of good times or that you drink like “comfort food” that always seem to satisfy.

What are your favorites for a Sunday afternoon glass to recall fond memories or that feel like the proverbial chicken soup?

Just about any Ridge wine puts a smile on my face. I think it is just the consistency and value and rarely a bad bottle…always makes me think about why I like wine to begin with…

Ridge is one producer that, based on the posts/comments here, would be a perfect fit for my palate, but I haven’t tried any yet… need to give those a try soon… I’m facing the reality of being overcapacity at the offsite storage, but I guess I could try buying just one bottle to try for once… [cheers.gif]

For me it’s definitely Fontodi Chianti Classico. We drink it once or twice a year and each time we ask ourselves why are we not drinking it more often.

Tempier Bandol Rosé, any vintage. Most always have a stock of it at home.

I have a few…each evoke different feelings of comfort for different reasons.

Chateau Musar - This reminds me of the first “real” tasting group I was a part of down on the island. The group that poured me my first glass of Coche-Dury, DRC, First Growths, and of course Musar.

Oregon Pinot Noir - This was my first trip to wine country in the summer of 2006. I went to as many places as I could on that trip…and there’s always a sense of comfort when I open a good bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir.

N.V. Bartlett Estate Blueberry “Oak Dry” - This is a wine that just makes me feel like I’m home in Maine. I’m officially biased about these wines because Bob & Kathe Bartlett are more family than anything else. This is a wine that not only drinks well right out of the gate…but with 3-20 years bottle age it continues to evolve on a level that I just love as a wine geek.

For me it’s Clos Roche Blanche. Hopefully I have enough stocked up to last me over the years since 2014 was their last vintage.

Newton Unfiltered Chardonnay. Always a “man that’s good” wine for the buck.

Pazo de Sonorans albarino by the pool

Another thread jogged my memory on this. C and P Breton Bourgueil Franc de Pied. I serendipitously discovered this the first year I started to get serious about wine. Oddly, I always mentally resist opening a bottle thinking it won’t go particularly well with dinner, or that it’s not quite what I’m in the mood for. And every time it turns out to be just perfect – pure and somehow “healthy” seeming. Definitely my “chicken soup” wine.

Turley Old Vines.
Bedrock Syrah (basically any one).
Schramsberg BDN.
Any good BDX with at least 10 years on it.

Ameztoi Txakolina, either white or rose

Turley Zin
La Chablisienne Chablis

Just as good as grilled cheese and tomato soup when sick!
:slight_smile:

d’Angerville Champans
Ridge Geyservile
Billecart Rose

The 6-pack of the Old Vine Wine Company 2011 Cienega Valley Carignan “Wirz Vineyard” has been one for me in recent months.

In the past, my choices often fluctuated like a butterfly from flower to flower. One 6-month period it was Château Mont-Redon '05 Côtes du Rhone; another, it was Duval Leroy “Rosé de Saignee” Champagne or Bodegas Olivares “Altos de la Hoya” Monastrell from Jumilla. I have favored all sorts of wines, and I probably am more appreciative of toned-down wines than I was 15 years ago, but I don’t have any reservations drinking a big, rich red or white wine from time to time.

Good Champagne.

ESJ Rocks and Gravel

Egly-Ouriet Rosé NV.

Egly-Ouriet Rosé
Reminds me of Paris since I had it for the 1st time there. Been buying it ever since.

Otherwise opening any Turley Zin. Always delicious! Really no need to age and I have plenty.

Geyserville
Zilliken
Dublere white Savigny les Beaune or Bourgogne Blanc
Jouan Passtoutgrain

NV Bereche et Fils Champagne Brut
Bruyere & Houillon, arbois pupillin, chardonnay & Savagnin
jean-yves péron, côtillon des dames
raul pérez, sketch
koehler-ruprecht, riesling kabinett