A Note from Winston Churchill's Doctor for Alcohol During His Trip to America During Prohibition

I need to find me a Dr. Otto.

[resizeableimage=600,400]http://i.imgur.com/3ElLEpP.jpg[/resizeableimage]

What’s the note in the upper-left corner, “Keep on hard”? That would be “naturally infinite” I guess.

I recall touring the bunker in London back in my 20s, and recall the host mentioning that Winston consumed a 1/2 to 1 full bottle of cognac per day during the war. Wow, if accurate.

I believe it says “Keep on hand”.

A bottle of cognac/day ain’t bad, but Winnie had nothing on Gerard Depardieu.

[resizeableimage=600,400]http://vinepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/depardieu-header-fb.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Oh, I would like to have a doctor’s certificate like that! [cheers.gif]

That would be a “light” day for you, eh?

Man lives to 107 ‘by only drinking red wine’
Antonio Docampo García drank up to four bottles of homemade red wine each day

According to some biographers Churchill almost always had some alcohol in his system - he started his morning with Champagne. Truly a functional drunk if ever there was one. But I think that was true of a lot of people back in the day - alcohol was what people drank all day long.

I guess all the doctors prescribing “medical” marijuana take inspiration from that note. Quite a classic.

It would be nice to deduct all this wine and booze as a medical expense…

Bruce

Haha, I’d hardly pay any income tax at all. Now to go looking for the right doctor.

If there’s a benefit of alcohol that’s penis-related, I think we know a guy…

‘Dammit! I need 500cc of Loire Cab Franc! Stat!’

It reminds of an oldie “I never knew he drank till I once saw him sober”. It would be funny if Churchhill penned that one.

Love the post.

I had been a Cardiology Fellow at the National Heart Hospital in UK, the Medical advisor to the US Embassy Germany 1969-69. This may have enabled my early entry before publlc access in 1969 to Sir Winston’s War Rooms under Hyde Park, with the guidance of one of his WW ll support staff, an elegant and gracious Mr. Trigger. Lots of dust, stale air, amber light, hung maps of Europe stuck with many pins, last date as I recall sometime 1944, and scattered empty and still filled Pol Roger. We were told Sir Winston would snooze , Do Not Disturb, under these olive drab blankets, every afternoon , then drive his staff crazy as he energized decisions long into the night.

Awesome!

Sounds like the Champagne budget almost did him in:

Hitler Couldn't Defeat Churchill, But Champagne Nearly Did : The Salt : NPR champagne.gif

I dunno. This doesn’t sound so extreme for an entire year, given what I have read in the recent purchase thread

nine-dozen bottles and seven-dozen half-bottles of Pol Roger 1895 vintage champagne, plus four-dozen half-bottles of the 1900 Pol Roger vintage
six-dozen bottles of St Estèphe (red) wine
five-dozen bottles of port
seven-dozen bottles of sparkling Moselle (white) wine
six-dozen bottles of whisky
three-dozen bottles of 20-year-old brandy
three-dozen bottles of vermouth
four bottles of gin

I figured that was just a weekend binge

84 = 390 Wine+Port

4 = 148 Liquor

Not so terribly much, but that’s just for starters probably.

This is what Mssr Adouze pops open on a Tuesday.

Same vintages, too.