Magnums are sexy

Unboxed my first ever magnums today, Saxum and Bedrock damn they are sexy i actually think i might have gotten a little aroused !!!

I wanna see u Unbox a 3l or 6l! Hahahe

Wait maybe not. Nsfw lol

I own three of them, never opened one yet.

I liksy.

Order a Riesling mag.

I love mags - great for when friends are over and they just look really cool too!

Came here to say this

Have several and it’s annoying how much space they consume. Not sure I’ll buy more with my new wine fridge at home unless I can figure out a way to store stuff under the house.

Yes! Artillery shells

It’s kinda cool to plant a magnum on the table when our group gets together for dinner. There’s probably 6 or 7 around the cellar including a vertical of Arrowood from '93, '94, and '95 (the '93 is signed by Richard Arrowood if you hadn’t seen my necrothreadiac post). Small potatoes around here!

I thought you meant Yellowtail. neener

Come on, even a Communist wouldn’t drink Yellowtail! neener

Best bottle for wine to age in; ages better than a 750 and doesn’t suffer from issues having to do with the cork as is possible with large and very large formats.

Or Sauternes mag…have a few from my son’s birth year.

They are meant for being safe, too. [wow.gif]

i have been a huge fan of the huge format for a while now (opened my first 6 liter at a steak house in 2001 when the restaurant make the mistake of saying corkage was for a bottle regardless of size. I use the empty’s to hold my loose change and sometimes in lieu of a sign in book at social events.

Best secret I learned is to soften the red capsule a little with a flame before driving corkscrew through it, no need to remove the wax.

I never understood the “attraction” of magnums - seriously I rather would open two (usually different) bottles than a mag …

When I think of a corking (or premoxed) magnum I get just the opposite of “aroused” … the odds with 2 reg. bottles are definitely better that at least half of the wine is ok …

The only mags I own are 1) due to the fact that one of my sons is born in a “weak” year …
2) I got some as a present …
3) I came across one or another by accident which is a rarity also in 0.75s - so “now or never” …
4) quite old vintages … which definitely should be in better form than regular bottles

Thinking of the attitude reg. many of the participants in this forum to drink most wines (IMHO) rather far too young it cannot be the better ageability of large formats - just the contrary … and a closed mag is a double waste in my eyes … [scratch.gif]

But also a friend of mine is often asking for an additional magnum when buying wines at domaines … he sure is similar infected … maybe the point is: bigger is better [wink.gif]

No offense intended … if you are into it: enjoy!

Champagne in particular is better out of magnum. There’s even science behind it, or so I’ve read.

Magnums are a PITA. Harder to store. Harder to find the right opportunity to open. That sad I opened a Mag of 2012 Rochioli RRV Pinot Noir last night. Delish!

this for me too… have also been buying more mags lately mostly because they just look cool on the table for bigger dinners

I’ve got a 3L on the way this week too and looking forward to an occasion to break it out

Magnums are great for sharing with friends… we’re going to a wine bash on Saturday… probably taking 3 mags. Right now, I’m thinking all Rivers-Marie - chard, pinot, and cab.