Napa Trip Logistics

I’ve got a trip to Napa coming up in May and I’d like to get some feedback. This is my first trip to Napa; I’ve done trips to Sonoma for Barrel Tasting weekend a couple of times, and had pretty good luck at those - we’d simply plan on 7-8 different wineries in a given part of Sonoma we wanted to hit, and if we either ran into big crowds or didn’t like the wines, we’d simply move on. But I get that Napa is a different model, with the need for appointments, my sense is the tastings are more drawn out, and the traffic issues are different.

One of the challenges is that we will only be in Napa for one day (we’re spending the other two in San Francisco). We plan on driving out to Napa in the early AM on a Saturday morning, meeting our driver, and having them drive us up to Chateau Montelena for a 9:30am tasting. From there, we’re going to work our way back to Napa, though all of the wineries we want to hit are from Calistoga to Rutherford; nothing south of that.

Our current plan is to hit four wineries; the three we know for sure are Montelena, Corison, and ZD (I really have no desire to go to ZD but my wife’s family raves about the place, so, well, it keeps everyone happy). We’re still trying to figure out what we want to do for the fourth.

My questions are:

1. Google Maps says it’s 29.2 miles from downtown Napa, which it says takes about 40 minutes without traffic, 43 with. What’s the likelyhood of traffic at that time on a Saturday? And is 43 minutes realistic if there is traffic?

2. From Chateau Montelena it’s about 13 miles, 19 minutes without traffic, 21 minutes with, according to Google Maps. Again, how accurate is the “with traffic”? My thinking was to tack on about 30-50% more time to allow for traffic. I.E. if it says 20 minutes without, consider it 30 with. How does that sound?

3. Is there any reason I’d want to favor one route over another - I.E. 128 vs Silverado Trail? Construction, scenery, ability to deal with traffic, etc?

4. My gut says four wineries is enough, and about all that will really fit given afternoon traffic and the time each tasting typically takes. But part of me would really like to fit a fifth winery in there, as it’s not likely I’ll be back any time soon. How crazy an idea is this?

What date in May will you be in Napa? Events in May (like Bottlerock or bike races) that could impact your travel time.

The trail is always my preference going up valley - 29 really gets bogged down on a saturday especially in St. Helena.

Next time try starting w/ some bubbly tasting and then start hitting it. On my trips, this has always been a hit.

ZD is nothing special.

We’ll be there Saturday May 14th.

Agreed that ZD is nothing special… her parents swear by it though and are always pouring it for us when we’re together. If it makes her happy… I did like ZD’s Pinot Blanc from a few years ago, so that’s something.

You end your day at Mumm. I also think they stay open the latest (or one of the latest).

I’d probably hit up 29 to crack into Corison then go up to Montelena from there. On your return to Napa take the Trail and you’ll hit up ZD with Mumm right next door to wrap it up.

Napa to Calistoga is about 45 minutes - up to 60 with traffic.

You’ll hit more traffic on 29. There’s also a bit of road work in St Helena. However, if you get the inkling to hit up another winery you have more options.

Saturday at 9:00AM, light traffic from Napa to Calistoga. The only backup may be at the traffic light at Madison in Yountville. If you’re concerned about that, take the trail in the morning.

The hardest part will be turning left onto either 29 or the trail. Are you going Montelena>Corison>ZD? I’d take the trail to Montelena, from Montelena take the trail to Pope St, cross over to 29 where you will have a traffic light that will let you turn left easier and avoid much of the downtown St Helena back up, then when leaving Corison take 29 to Zinfandel, take a left on Zinfandel then a right on the trail.

But, if your driver is a local I’d trust him/her.

If you haven’t made your appointment at Corison yet, PM me.

a 9:30 am tasting at Montelena? From SF? That’s a long day.

At 9:30 am you won’t have as much traffic to deal with.

Montelena has a tasting room in SF, too, but I’m not sure if they offer the same tasting options.

Agree wholehearted, unless you are locked in to the 9:30 Chateau Montelena. If so, then after CM, it’s down 29 to Corison. Head to Rutherford Bar & Grill for lunch. East on 128 to the trail, passing Caymus and Frogs Leap, if there is an interest, then south on Silverado Tr to ZD. If you are going to include Mumm, I’d go there before ZD. Turning left across Silverado Tr. anywhere but intersections with turn pockets, is somewhere between risky and outright stupid.

Agree with everyone who says North on 29 early and south on the Silverado Trail during the afternoon. Trying to take a left on to either Silverado Trail or Highway 29 is not recommended. If you are looking for a 4th place to visit I would stay as far south as possible. Robert Craig has a downtown tasting room. It is not a winery visit but it may be fun.

Thanks,
Ed

Others have mentioned Mumm, which is right next to ZD. While your wife and family are there, go to Mumm and take in their fabulous photography exhibit. Free, no obligation to taste or buy wine, just walk right in.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Some great stuff in here!!!