Wineries that Don't Provide Good Service

There are 4 US wineries where I am a first time, direct buyer this spring. Of the 4, only 1 is an established winery. From them, I have received what I perceive to be proper customer service. Emails and/or phone calls returned in a timely fashion, and notification received when wine is shipping.

Of the other 3, I have also received proper customer service from 1 of the other wineries. But from the other 2, nothing. Two emails, and 1 phone called not returned. Over a week.
I think from both the wine is en route (based on emails from UPS), but just a guess.

I am not saying it’s enough to make me not buy the wines (proof is in the taste), but there’s a lot of wine out there, and I think I’d prefer to buy from those companies who provide what I perceive the proper service.

Anybody feel the same way? Or should I cut some slack to the little guys? Just curious how others perceive this issue.

If it’s only a week, there may be an explanation. I’d wait another week and try again. If still no response, it’s time to consider moving on. Too much good wine to put up with mediocre (or worse) service.

If you can source the product from a local retailer, then go that route. If you can’t, you have to decide what your threshold of service is.

Once you digest it, I think most say cut them a little slack, that said- this sort of thing drives me crazy. Answering calls & returning messages really are among the most basic parts of being in any business.

We all know, often a one or two person operation, many times not their full time day job etc. Once that CC charge hoes through, just return messages.

Thanks all for your input. I guess the proof is in the pudding (or in the case, the wine). We (me, wife, and friends) will give them a taste before next spring’s offerings. Bottom line is I ordered the wine and it shipped-if didn’t ship that would be a real problem.

Some very firmly established wineries did not provide “your wine has shipped” info to me this time around. I know one (very small) was bottling, so I can cut them a little slack. The other uses a shipping fulfillment service, so it’s not really the winery doing the shipping.

It’s tough being a small business. Might want to give them a break.

I hear ya, but I sent 2 emails and 1 phone call in a weeks time frame (and over a week ago) with no response. Big business or small business, there is proper business etiquette. again the wine will determine whether or not I buy again but would prefer to support Will Segui or Mrs. Gronk Lindquist with their awesome service.

Perhaps the proprietors are on vacation. It happens.

Or dead. Will give benefit of the doubt, thanks.

let’s hope they’re not.

This!

As a small winery owner/winemaker/bathroom cleaner/tasting room host/bookkeeper/compliance agent/distribution manager/website content developer/donation manager/equipment repair guy…I wish I could give everyone great service. But I can’t, and I’m not going to hire someone to do it because I don’t want manager to occur anymore in my job description than it already does.

Realistically, you either want me in the vineyard and cellar or emailing you back. I vote vineyard and cellar, and the guys at Avalon Wines, Sec Wines, Vinopolis, or Liner & Elsen do rock star customer service for a living.
Come visit, buy if you want to(I very much appreciate it) but if customer service is your thing, then buy the little guys wines from our local retailers.

Just go read the Maison Ilan threads. It’ll keep things in perspective.

With all respect Marcus, if winemaker can’t return three separate messages in a weeks time as OP reports then something is wrong.

If a winery offers direct sales then good customer service should be a given.

Yes I want you in the vineyard, but that doesn’t mean customers come second. It’s not an either or …

So yes encourage small shop owners to serve as your retail partners. But don’t muddy waters by offering direct sales

Not saying you do this … Just general observation on situation described

The culture of entitlement around here is just staggering sometimes.

Look, the man paid his money, and wants his wine NOW, A-S-A-P. How is that entitlement? [snort.gif] He’s simply applying Internet culture to the world of wine and forgets that there are other living, breathing, micro-organisms that coexist in this grand sphere we live on, and that they might just have other jobs to do, issues to deal with, without the resources to provide him with an Amazon Prime experience each and every time. [thankyou.gif]

Oh, it isn’t just around here. People who buy luxury items are becoming MUCH bigger spoiled asshats who throw temper tantrums over the silliest things. I could tell you stories…

Holy cow (some) people!!! Why not make some inferences and assumptions!!

My wife and I work full time and need to make sure someone is at our house to sign for the packages. (Don’t want them shipped to work or elsewhere) I never asked for the wine to be shipped NOW, A-S-A-P (as one person here stated); I want to know when they expect to ship and to be notified. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. I guess for some that’s considered to be entitlement but I don’t . And if you are in business, or in life in general, returning a phone call and/or an email, is common courtesy. Especially when you are a business IMO.

And of the 2 wineries, one grows their own grapes; the one that doesn’t can’t be too busy in the vineyard (IMO).

Marcus, just curious, if a customer called you and emailed you (in early-mid March) and asked “do you know when my order will be shipping”, they should not expect a response?

Now that you put it this way, I am in complete agreement. This is one of the reasons I don’t like buying directly from wineries. I often have a hard time scheduling shipment because I never get an answer. I have had wines shipped when I am out of town and will get the delivery message the day it’s shipped not an answer before that. I have had 3 cases of wine needing to be returned in the last year because of that. UPS and Fedex will not hold them for weeks. This isn’t too much to ask to just return calls or e-mail so that shipping is efficient. Can’t help their bottom line to get wine returned either.

Weeks? Geezus man, your job has you so busy you or your wife can’t stop at a UPS or FedEx location (you can choose where the package is sent) on your way to work? Man, I thought my 50+ hour weeks not counting travel were bad!