TN: L'Ecole CheninBlanc ColumbiaVlly '14...(short/boring)

Tried this last night w/ two grandkids making mischief around the house. 'Twas a good distraction:

1. L’Ecole No.41 CheninBlanc ColumbiaVlly (OldVines; 13.5%; Plntd in 1970’s; 4750 cs; www.LeCole.com) Lowden 2014: Light gold color; very fragrant/perfumed floral/carnations/pear/CB slight chalky/perfumed talc bright/crisp CB nose; fairly tart/tangy/bit grapefruity rather floral/carnations/CB bit perfumed talc lightly rich flavor; very long tart/tangy/zippy/grapefruity rather floral/pear/carnations/apple blossom light chalky finish; an absolutely pretty/bright/nervous lip-smackin’ good rendition of CB. $14.38 (PrimaIlC)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. One of the best US CB’s I’ve had since the Chalone OldVines CB '07. It doesn’t have the chalky/flinty minerality of Loire CB, but the stuff just tastes danged good…which is often just what you want in a white wine and your mind can’t contemplate profundities in a wine.
    Tom

Nice note, Tom. L’Ecole Chenin Blanc is our go to summer white wine on the deck. Year in and year out, this wine never disappoints. We go through cases of the stuff each year.

It’s been a number of years since I’ve tried one of these. While I enjoyed the bottles I’ve had, they never quite had enough acid to back up the sweetness. “Crisp/tart/tangy/zippy” seems to suggest they’ve improved on that balance - I’ll have to give it another try.

Well, Ryan…this one seemed perfectly dry to me. Couldn’t pick up any RS, but it had a bit of richness on the palate that
suggests there may be a tiny bit in there.
Tom

Have you sampled Sandlands Chenin Tom?

Nope, Mike…but have heard nothing buy good things about it.
Tom

Thanks for the note!

I really enjoyed the '13 L’Ecole 41 Chenin Blanc and the Semillon, to a lesser extent.

The local wine shop/wine bar offered it BTG, and the staff gave me a taste. For the money, it’s a steal.