TN: Domaine Marc Plouzeau Touraine Clos De Maulevrier 'Ante Phylloxera' 2013

Consider this taking one for the team. No regrets. But I gotta admit, you will either like this wine or you will not. There will not be middle ground. It’s clearly for the so-called AFWE crowd.

Amazing the distinction from vintage to vintage with this domaine, each expressing itself so honestly. This wine is reflective of a lean, cooler year, with a lot of rain. Does not achieve what some might consider optimal ripeness. The spectrum of fruit is all in the Reds. The body is lithe, lean, tart, crisp. It vibrates with raw energy. Has a lovely texture on the palate of graininess, a sense of minerality, some chalk. A little chewy on the back end. Refreshing like a glass of lemonade on a hot day.

I’ve been following it over two days. Not really changing much or opening up. I have no clue where this goes. I’m enjoying it, but it’s a one dimensional enjoyment. A crisp, refreshing but not soulful drink as in some other vintages of this wonderful domaine. It misses some of the tell-tale signs of Chinon. I’ll stick the remainder of my 6-pack away to see where it goes, perhaps popping next in 3 years. A little pricey for this vintage but glad to have it.
(89 pts.)

Great note Robert. Had this the other day and agree with your take. Little disappointed In the qpr, but I love these wines.

2013 Marc Plouzeau Touraine Ante Phylloxera Clos de Maulevrier - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (1/7/2019)
– decanted about 1.25 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 2 –

NOSE: Day 1: red-fruited with a hint of chocolate coffee; light pyrazine note; hint of red licorice; moderately expressive; beguiling, yet simultaneously reserved; complex; medium-strength oak note. Day 2: starting to oxidize a touch; not as oaky as Day 1.

BODY: violet-garnet color of medium depth; clear; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: Day 1: woodsy; red-fruited; some noticeable oak and oaky tannins; medium+ acidity; frankincense; alc. not noticeable; oak became very strong about 2.50 – 3.0 hours after uncorking. Day 2: still tastes oaky, but not as bad as Day 1; red-fruited and stony, but this comes across as a thin(er) wine that was beaten with an oaken club; some nice garrigué on the finish. Maybe this wine soaks up the oak and has fruit left-over when it’s all said and done, but I’m not optimistic. I believe I would score this wine around 90 or 91 but for the terribly strong oak aspect. The oak on this is terribly unfortunate. Best to Hold for now.

50, 5, 10, 12, 6 = (83 pts.)

I drank (and enjoyed) my one and only 2013, so looked for subsequent vintages. There’s nothing since 2015 in Cellartracker and practically nothing on Wine-searcher. What became of this wine?

Hmmmm. Was thinking about this yesterday, I have not gotten my annual offering yet. It’s normally released later than most, but would think 2016 would be available by now. Hope the vineyard did not succumb to the louse.