Does this city have the best food and wine in France?

Alex R.

I think the article is quite bad. It reads like one of those airline articles.

While I like Bordeaux as a city and think the overall ambiance improved vastly over the last twenty years, the restaurant scene in the entire Bordeaux region always sucked. And it won’t improve if outlets of worldwide franchise operating chefs and entrepreneurs like Gordon Ramsay or Joel Robuchon (with Bernard Magrez) open restaurants where famous chefs just give their name. There’s zero soul in such concepts.

The restaurant scene has changed radically in just the past year.
I agree that previously it was not stellar, but there is a reason for that: the finest meals and wines have traditionally been served at châteaux, of which there are a great number.

Bernard Magrez’s “La Grande Maison” has two Michelin stars not long after opening, and I’m willing to bet they’ll have 3 in short order.

I don’t think you should reject, on principle, a famous chef overseeing restaurants in different cities. The proof of the pudding is in the eating :slight_smile:.

Bordeaux cuisine tends to be simple but delicious. Not fussy.

The only thing that’s missing locally is cheese: there are virtually none in the Bordeaux area although Pyrenean cheese is very popular because that also comes from the Aquitaine region.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Should have known, coming from you, Alex :wink:

Apparently, the collaboration between Bernard Magrez and Joel Robuchon didn’t work as planned. Robuchon has left.

Yep lost bags of money… so long…
Perigord/Dordogne has great food though… and is not far away

Perigord/Dordogne has excellent gastronomy… and that’s where we’re going back to this summer. We’re skipping Bordeaux this time.

Quite quickly, Bernard Magrez found a new name for his Grande Maison: Pierre Gagnaire

Still pretty hard to contend with Lyon in this category IMHO.

Yes, Lyon is generally considered the gastronomic centre of France. It’s location gives it access to so many regional styles of food and wine that makes it much more naturally diverse than Bordeaux.

However, I haven’t visited Bordeaux so perhaps a trip is in order. I’m generally not a fan of corporate restaurants though. I did all that in London with Marco Pierre White, Gordon Ramsay and Terence Conran back in the 90s. These days I like to find smaller, more individual places. I’m more likely to choose a Michelin Bib than a Star.

Paris!