WSJ - Skip The Wine Pairing Menu

I couldn’t agree more with the author. I want red - of my choosing - whether I’m eating fish, pasta or steak. I’ve done wine pairings before and they have always underwhelmed.

A FEW WEEKS AGO my neighbor John stopped me as I was walking past his house. He was planning to take his wife out for a birthday dinner and needed some advice. “I’m looking for a restaurant with a great wine-pairing program,” he said. I told John that I wasn’t the best person to ask since I’m not a big fan of wine-pairing menus or the multicourse tasting menus they usually accompany. In fact, I go out of my way to avoid them.

But I wanted to be a good neighbor, so I did a bit of research and turned up a few New York restaurants with good wine lists and pairing menus that didn’t cost overmuch. I gave John the names and asked him to tell me which one he chose.

While I waited to hear his report, I considered my last wine-pairing experience almost four years ago, a pretty pricey failure. During a $700 dinner for two at a famous four-star restaurant that will remain nameless, my friend and I were treated to innumerable bites of tiny, fussed-over food and small pours of mediocre wines. Given that the sommelier made a speech before each new glass and dish arrived, we didn’t have much time to ourselves. When the meal was over, we went out for beers and burgers.

But it’s not the high price of pairing menus, the frequently uninspired wine choices, the tiny pours, or even the lecture that precedes every course that bothers me the most—it’s the fact that I don’t have a say. More than anything, when I go to a restaurant, I want to be able to choose my own wine, even if the sommelier thinks he or she knows best what I should drink. I want to explore and hopefully find some gem. That doesn’t mean I’m not open to suggestions. I’ve enjoyed really interesting wines thanks to some top sommeliers. But I want the final choice to be, if not mine, at least a joint decision.

Of course, I know that a lot of wine lovers, including John, enjoy wine pairings for some of the very reasons I dislike them: the element of surprise and the constant presence of the sommelier. Susanne Lerescu, sommelier at Restaurant Latour at Crystal Springs Resort in Hamburg, N.J., said most of her customers order the wine pairing. They “love contact with the sommelier, and they love learning,” she said.

Restaurants also tend to like pairings; several sommeliers noted they are a great way to make money. Sommeliers have wide latitude when it comes to the wines they choose for pairings, and can opt for wines that are inexpensive but obscure so diners won’t know what they cost (unless they check wine-searcher.com). They can get more mileage out of a 25.4-ounce bottle when the average pour is 3 ounces per taste compared with the standard 5- to 6-ounce glass.
Advertisement

Even so, Ms. Lerescu has mixed feelings about pairings. “It’s almost a shame because we have such a great cellar,” she said. With nearly 75,000 bottles, Latour’s cellar is truly prodigious and includes many rare, expensive bottles that wouldn’t be cost-effective to open for small pours.

Pricewise, the restaurant’s wine-pairing menu is on the low side at $65 for six wines to accompany the $145 seven-course tasting menu. Many I’ve seen start at $80 a person. At Alinea restaurant, which functioned as a pop-up in Miami while the regular Chicago location undergoes renovations, the Gold Wine Pairing costs $495 a person—more than the tasting menu it accompanies, which can have 12 to 22 courses and runs between $275 and $385.

“It’s the first time that the wine pairing is more expensive than the tasting menu,” said Alinea Group wine director Jill Zimorski, who noted that the Gold Pairing includes special vintages of Champagne and rare Madeiras. The restaurant also offers a standard pairing for $150 a person and a reserve option for $275.

Ms. Zimorski and Ms. Lerescu were the only sommeliers I spoke with who said they would consider buying pairings on their own dime. Still, Ms. Zimorski remains a bit leery. “Wine pairings are a great way to get ripped off,” she said.

All the other sommeliers order wine by the bottle when they go out, sticking to one or two wines that will go well with multiple courses. “I like to find something versatile,” said Dean Fuerth, wine director at Betony restaurant in New York. He added that “wine pairings are a cop-out on the part of beverage service” at many restaurants because they often include wines that aren’t particularly good.

Not at his, of course. Mr. Fuerth devised Betony’s $130 pairing menu with chef Bryce Shuman. The two work closely together, with Mr. Shuman sometimes even adjusting a course so that it will better suit a wine.

At Restaurant Gary Danko, in San Francisco, wine director Jeremiah Morehouse said he loves “orchestrating” a pairing but noted that only about 35% of customers opt for the $85 menu that accompanies the $119 five-course tasting. With the rest of his clientele, Mr. Morehead does a brisk business in half-bottles, which he said allow for more flexibility. The restaurant’s large wine list includes around 200 half-bottles.

All the talk about wine pairing made me think I should try it again. I chose Blue Hill in New York, one of the restaurants I had recommended to John. Blue Hill boasts an all-tasting-menu format and a large and impressive wine list. Pairings cost either $68 or $88 for the standard four-course Daily Menu ($88) or six-course Farmer’s Feast ($98), respectively.

My husband and I opted for the less expensive of the two menus. Wine director Michelle Biscieglia said she liked to start with bubbles, which sounded promising. Every sommelier I interviewed said they started their pairings with a glass of Champagne. Ours began with a half-glass of Domaine Pierre Richard, a sparkling wine from France’s Jura region. It was pleasant, if a bit rustic, and the wine’s earthy flavors complemented the amuse-bouche of exquisitely tiny root vegetables and Brussels sprout tarts—as delicious as they were minuscule. I hoped the food would get larger and the wines would improve.

Ms. Biscieglia returned with the two wines for the first course. She paired a minerally white from Savoie, France (2011 Domaine Louis Magnin Roussette de Savoie), with my husband’s winter root vegetables and a zippy white from Greece (2013 Sclavos Robola of Cephalonia) with my celery-root risotto—both solid choices that paired well with the food.

Next was a Corsican rosé (2014 Domaine Comte Abbatucci Gris Impérial) for my husband’s monkfish and a light-bodied, rather tart 2104 Domaine Tissot Trousseau Singulier for my Jerusalem artichoke with smoked cheese and bacon bits. “I was hoping for something a bit richer,” I said to Ms. Biscieglia when she stopped by to see how we liked the matches. She nodded, explaining that she focused more on the acidity than the weight of the wine. The rosé, which Ms. Biscieglia said she had served at her wedding, was light and pleasant and, like almost all the other wines in the pairing, cost about $25 per bottle retail.

“It’s all going by so fast,” my husband observed as our small plates were whisked away and our 3-ounce glasses were soon drained.

The third course featured a rich 2013 Stolpman Estate Syrah with lamb neck and belly, and a 1985 Caves São João Baga Tinto, a red wine from Portugal’s Bairrada region, with venison. Unfortunately, my wine, the Caves São João, tasted flat and tinny—it was corked. I flagged down Ms. Biscieglia, who mentioned she had thought the wine might be corked as she whisked the glass away. She reappeared with a different bottle of the same wine, as well as a rather rustic red from the Canary Islands (2013 Monje Listán Negro Tradicional) to give me another option. The noncorked version was pleasant and impressively vibrant, but it was interesting rather than great. The last course included two dessert wines: a Greek Vin Santo and a late-harvest wine from southwest France.

Our dinner cost more than $400 and lasted just under two hours. The portions had been small, but the food was good. The wines were solid, thoughtful choices, even if they weren’t bottles I would have chosen myself. And the corked bottle was certainly unfortunate. A few days after my visit, Ms. Biscieglia wrote to say she’d served the Caves São João again and it was “singing.” Subsequent patrons were clearly more fortunate. And maybe that’s the biggest problem with wine pairing: It’s all too often a matter of luck.

I emailed John to see where he and his wife had gone to dinner and find out if they had liked the wine pairing. It turned out the dinner had been postponed. “But your note is a nice reminder to book it,” he wrote. I didn’t say a word. Discretion is the better part of valor, after all.

The only thing worse than these multi-course micro-meals are the wine pairings that come along with them. Thank you, but no thanks.

It’s kind of like wine clubs - they make relatively more sense to those who don’t have the information and knowledge that we WBer types have, who aren’t very price-conscious, and who are happy to have someone else make the decisions for them. For many civilians, the big wine list is intimidating and stressful.

I don’t say that to be judgmental about people in that category in the least, but just to explain the difference between why probably few of us here would ever choose the wine pairing menu and why they probably appeal to a decent percentage of civilians.

Multi-course dinners with wines paired with each course, chosen by the sommelier, seems like a neat enough idea to me. I haven’t done one, however. The skeptic in me thinks it’s a clever way for a restaurant to sell a wine they want to move (my wife hates it when I get all Mr. Doubter on things like this!).

Are you saying wine and food pairing doesn’t work, or just the pre-arranged at restaurant wine and food pairings? Because, if it’s the former, I’d have to disagree…but I don’t think it is.

One of the best meals I ever had at the Little Nell in Aspen was done this way. If I had to buy a bottle for each course for the two of us, we would have been loaded and broke. Instead we left very satisfied and only partially broke.

I agree that most wine pairing menus are lousy. But I’ve had a few good ones. I really liked the pairings we had one time at Quince. Saison is pretty good at it. Both places are extraordinarily expensive and offer the chance to have some very nice glasses of wine that aren’t available on a wine-by-the-glass menu.

I wish the wine-by-the glass offerings weren’t almost universally terrible. When it is just my wife and I, we typically don’t want to drink a whole bottle of red wine, particularly if we also want to have a cocktail or something sparkling to start. But the glass menus here in Maine are abysmal. I often end up eschewing wine altogether. At least in San Francisco, there were occasionally decent glass or 1/2 bottle options. But if the wine pairing menu sounded better than what I can buy by-the-glass, I was often willing to try it, and occasionally it was actually decent.

That would be nice, wouldn’t it? It sounds like Maine is worse, but even out here, you’re rarely going to find something much better than a passable sauvignon blanc, riesling or rose by the glass, which isn’t lousy, absurdly priced, or usually both.

Fortunately for me, I have zero problem drinking a full bottle or more with dinner, and since corkage is almost always allowed and Uber has taken the sting out of not driving, I don’t usually get stuck with the dreary by the glass options.

Wine pairings done this way are also a good chance for someone to sample wines where they might be hesitant for whatever reason–price, unfamiliarity–to purchase a bottle (either from the restaurant or even at a lower cost from a retailer).

When I was much younger (in 1995), yet knowledgeable enough about wine, my wife and I dined at Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago. I happened to be there for work, and she joined me for the weekend. It was our first experience with a degustation menu. Our budget was limited, but we wanted to treat ourselves. I scoured the wine list for a bottle that we could stretch out for the entire menu–something that would go well enough with each course. Settled on a Red Burgundy. Halfway through our dinner, I noticed that the couple next to us kept getting a different wine with every course. I asked our server about that, and he replied that they had purchased the wine pairing option, which I later learned was about the same cost as the bottle I had purchased. I told him that we would have done that had it been offered. His response: “Well, you seemed so set on the Burgundy…” He had earlier ignored my cue that I was looking for a bottle to go with the entire meal.

The point is that sometimes the wine pairing isn’t that bad of an option.

The good news is that it’s always an option, never required, so you can look and see if it makes sense for you in the instance. I’m pretty sure it’s been well over a decade since last time I’ve done it, myself, but I will often glance at it if it’s on the menu.

We’ve done our last wine pairing dinner this way. In Portland, at a very pricey seafood place. Didn’t help that I was actually coming down with the flu, but every course was paired with a sweet wine. Kabinett etc. One wine was even the special one from France that is aged for years and years, name escapes me. Hated that one though enjoyed the legend. By dessert I asked for hot tea instead of wine.

We do have reservations at Enoteca Pitti in Florence coming up. And we will try their recommended pairings for the dishes we choose, but we know only a little about Italian wine. Should be fun, and won’t cost nearly as much as the Portland place.

The only really good pairing I’ve had in NYC was at Momofuku Ko. Juni had a pretty good one, except the whites (most of the courses) were all served waaaaay too cold, which is a big problem when you only have 15-20 minutes with each glass.

I love the concept and when it is done right I’m a customer. A tasting menu is supposed to span the spectrum of flavors and offer variety around a chef’s creative theme. Why would I want to have only one or two wine options in a dinner for two (with possibly a book-end glass of Champagne or dessert wine)? It is a matter of cost and selection too, of course. If you have a unicorn on the list within my price reach, I’m probably going to go for it over a pairing set that has generally-avaialble, mid-quality wines. If your pairings suggest a different palate than mine, I’ll also say “no thanks”. If, however, the pairing menu has some wines I’m familiar with (or at least familiar with the style of) and some unknowns, I’ll give it a shot. I’ve always found the pairing options to be a step above the by-the-glass options where I’ve dined, so I don’t really compare this to a BTG offering, which is trying to compete, price-wise, with cocktails or beer.

Cheers,
fred

We ate at Elizabeth (here in Chicago) about a month ago and did the wine pairing, and it was very good. However, none of the wines were what most of us would consider to be great wines, but they were good, and they did pair VERY well. Had about 8 different wines, over about 10 plates. Was enough that we left a little tipsy.

My issue with these meals, with that many plates, is how do you pick a wine? Especially if it is just two of you. If you do this with several people, you can assign wines, or buy a bottle per couple to cover the menu. But when it’s just me and my wife, and I’m not bringing wine, then all I am going to do is buy one bottle. At Elizabeth, I’m not sure what red or white would have covered the gamut.

I started a thread about this question, how much of the meal does your bottle of wine need to be a good match with. Here it is in case it interests you:

I like the concept but just can’t see myself doing it anymore. I don’t remember a single time where there wasn’t at least one wine that I either really disliked or thought that it paired horribly with the respective course. I think the worst example was an incredibly alcoholic red from DO Alicante that the sommelier considered a great match with garlic soup.

This brings up the worst thing about most wine pairing menus at medium-priced restaurants these days. Their “wine pairing menu” is literally just taken from their BTG offerings.

Did my own wine paring at Joel Robuchon in Vegas a few years ago. Brought 2 1/2 bottles for the 13 courses and shared each of the wines and conversation with the sommelier(who BTW was outstanding) and the meal was terrific. Maybe because the wines I brought were wines I liked? Just a thought.

Too true

Even assuming the wines selected for the pairing option are good, I still prefer getting to know one nice, versatile bottle throughout the meal than having sips of a bunch of different wines.

Being in SoCal, corkage is avail everywhere so we usually bring our own wine. But on vacation, I sometimes do wine pairings because I can’t finish a whole bottle by myself and my wife can barely finish a glass. I’ve never been blown away by the pairings but it’s a nice option to try different stuff.

What I find more interesting is beverage pairings, where it might be wine, sometimes beer, sometimes sake, sometimes a cocktail with each course. I wish more restaurants would do that.