TN: 2004 Navarro Select Late Harvest Riesling

2004 Navarro - Late Harvest - Cluster Select - Riesling (Anderson Valley): Purchased at the winery in 2006 for $27.55.

This delivered in spades. A medium golden hue. A trace of orange peel on the nose gave away its New World origins, but the marmalade note was much more mild than most Californian late harvest rieslings. In the mouth, this has a sharp spine of acid and lots of botrytis – bracing but not objectionable. Mouthwatering would be the way to put it. Great tension: the acid and sweetness tugging in opposite directions. Some peach pit, some celery hints. Not as complex as a comparable German would be, but still excellent, and this seems young. If I had more, I’d sit on them for at least another five years. 92-ish. 10.5% ABV; 38% sugar by weight at harvest; 22% residual sugar by weight.

Cool note John, thank you

I am shocked, shocked that a Navarro overperformed.

Love what Navarro does with late harvest Riesling. I am still holding some of the 1997.

Thanks for the note, John. I have not found anyone else in California who makes this style of wine better than Navarro.

Looking forward to the release of their deep end riesling.

I’ve gone off that.

Yes, that is a bad joke rather than a comment on the quality of the wine. Navarro is my favorite sweet wine producer in the US.

Have you had a Trefethen LH Riesling?

No, I don’t believe I’ve tasted a sweet wine from Trefethen. I take it that you recommend their LH Riesling?

Sweet!

Thanks for that thirst inducing note!

I don’t know how senstirive my palate is to sweet wines, I generally like most desert wines. The Trefethen is one that I’ve had a few times and like, just trying to calibrate.

I opened a 97 last year. It had questionable provenance but showed superbly. No rush to open soon, but you’re in for a treat whenever you do.