TN: 2014 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

• 2014 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/10/2016)
    This lone bottle was sitting out as I was putting the recent R-M shipment in the cellar. Normally I like to wait a year before starting into my stash of these QPR gems but not tonight. Dark fruit with a solid core, hints of cranberry and clove with sweet, not cloying fruit and wonderful backbone of acidity. Floral nose and lasting finish. Very,very enjoyable! (92 pts.)

Note: A good friend gave me a vinturi wine aerator - gimmicky for sure, but it worked well on this bottle. I initially poured two glasses, one that had passed through the vinturi and one that was a simple pour. Blinded my wife and I preferred the aerated glass.

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow… I just finished a bottle of this… same notes… I thought there was nice pink grapefruit note as well… “sweet fruit but not cloying” came up a few time while my wife and I drank this…

Nice notes Greg and I found the thread while looking for What did open tonight. We opened a 2014 Rivers Marie Kanzler Vineyard Sonoma Coast tonight and find your description almost identical to my observations of the Kanzler. I’m curious about the differences in the wines now. The fruit is pretty prominent in the Kanzler, slight hints of cranberry when the acidity grips.

Does it help with Foley Claret? neener newhere Hope that you are doing well.

Had our first bottle of this today. Went quickly. Really delicious, drinks beautifully. Bright, crisp, fruity, deep, rich. It’s interesting and compelling Pinot, for $30!

i cannot fathom pobega-ing one of my lousy four of these. first one will be uncorked in no less than a year. haven’t tried a 13 yet.

btw… how did pobega-ing get to be pobega-ing… I hope MP did something more egregious than cradle-robbing a 25 dollar, albeit rare pinot.

Wife and I also popped one of these Friday night. This was a mistake and definitely needs more time. I was not really a fan, probably need to hold the others for a couple of years minimum.

Why a mistake and why not a fan? Keep in mind it’s $30-not saying it’s cheap but it is not high end either.

Of course - makes them taste like Truchot Charmes-Chambertin!

Doing well Howard - hope the same for you.

Greg

[welldone.gif]

Had this tonight. Very tasty. The oak seems prevalent, but I’m not put off by it. Seems richer than previous years, although I might be inventing that memory.

Great note, and a great thread!

Loved this as well as the chard!! Are there any better qpr Sonoma wines out there???NO! :astonished:

Pobega don’t care 'bout no price tag; he likes all of his bottles fresh off the truck.

I didn’t love it. Decanted for around 30 minutes before serving. Felt is was a little flat/monotone.

Anyone try the '14 Summa Vineyard yet? I’m going to let my '14 RM’s sit for a couple of years. Looking forward to trying the Chards sooner though.

I opened one Thursday and finished Friday. Mushrooms and blood orange on the nose. Rich dark cherry fruit, bright acidity pushing through with a hint of stems and abundant fruit in the slightly tannic finish. Didn’t have the pine needle note I have found on many previous vintages. What a great QPR.

Mushrooms and blood oranges on the nose. Now that’s an interesting combination. I hope by the time I get around to sampling it the stems disappear. When I hear the words “stem, stemy and green” I want to run for the hills.

This wasn’t green at all. The stems note of mine was from some mid-palate astringency that I relate to whole cluster fermentations. I need some complexity in my wines to offset the fruit and that slight stemminess is part of the complexity I am looking for.

I also opened a 2014 SC, last night. I thought it was pretty tightly wrapped, but delightful nonetheless. I only drank 1 glass on the evening as there were a couple cabenets to also focus on. The wine opened up some over about 3 hours, decanted. I mostly brought it for friends who are much more into pinot than I, and they loved it!