Help Me Pick A Cab. At A Steakhouse

Celebrating 2 birthdays next weekend here in Houston. For those Houstonians, we’ve already done Pappa’s and Vic & Anthony’s this year so we’re venturing out to Pearland at Killen’s Steakhouse. This guy is a BBQ superstar but his steakhouse is supposed to be worth the drive (none of us have eaten there, so tbd).

I always like to glance at the wine list prior to going somewhere nice. This wine list is sub-par (IMO) compared to many of the steakhouses around here.

http://www.killenssteakhouse.com/wines.html

Question for the experts: which Cab or blend do you think is best? Parameters: I’d like to keep each bottle ~ $150 or lower. I’m assuming we’ll be going through 3.

My first thoughts were the 2011 Shafer One Point Five for $123 and maybe the 2011 Papillon (Magnum) for $215.

Suggestions appreciated!

Pretty good values from WA state w/ less than 100% markup. 2008 had a nice, long ripening vintage with reasonable temps and 2010 was a bit cool, but I love wines from that year. Both these vineyards are relatively warm and ripe, however, so they won’t be thin.

2008 Andrew Will, Champoux Vineyard, Horse Heaven Hills 115
2010 Cadence, Camerata, Cara Mia Vineyard, Red Mountain 105

I’d get those two and a third “big cab” from CA.

On first glance, they have half bottles of Corison Cab at $62 and that might be a winner. Other things that caught my eye are the merlot’s from Shafer and Nickel & Nickel as well as the Bedrock Heritage Zin. For whites if anyone likes dry Rieslings the Trimbach Frederick Emile might be a great accompaniment with a cheese plate or shellfish appetizer. Are you staying away from Pinot Noir is that in play?

p.s I’ve had the Cade 2011 Cab, very tasty but a bit on the lighter side which is probably due to the vintage.

BYOB allowed?

The 2011 La Jota Howell Moutain was really good in a tough vintage.

I don’t mind the occasional Pinot but this crowd likes the full bodied Cabs. I’ve never had Corison.

Nope. I always prefer bringing my own but it is rare in this area.

I don’t see any value/bargains but in keeping with the 2011 Napa non-valley thoughts what about the 2011 Cade Howell Mountain?

The Arietta, Variation One, Napa Valley 2007 is a really nice wine. Mark-up is minimal even at $154(105)
55% Syrah 45% merlot.
I used to buy this and always enjoyed it.

Flora Springs Trilogy might fit the bill for your crowd and with the savings on that I would buy up at $175 to the Bevan Ontogeny. Corison is a lovely cab, maybe try a half bottle first.

I think the 88 Pape Clement should be one of them. Great price and it’s one of Bernard Magrez’s favorites for current drinking.
Bevan ontogeny '13 will also be great, albeit quite young…

Both of those are pushing the budget by a little bit… Maybe spice it up and go with the 09 todos de Jonata or Epoch 11 estate blend (they crushed it in '11) to save a few bucks to splurge on 2 diametrically opposed cabs that are both rockin.

I am going to be drawn and quartered for this first suggestion, but I had this wine recently and in light of the markup on some of the other wines on the list, I suggest you go for this so you can afford some of the other stuff:

2009 Château Peyrabon, Haut-Medoc $50

Then I would consider this:

2012 Quilceda Creek, CVR, Columbia Valley $112

No listing on Winesearcher but plenty on CT.

I’d splurge past the price ceiling and get the 12 Cayuse Camaspelo or Impulsivo.

I know it’s very,very young and over the $150 but one of my bottles would be the 2013 Bevan Ontogeny for $175 which is extremely reasonable.

Very nice wines, and I was going to point to those, but you have to get the restaurant to open them at least 3 hours in advance. I drank a 2012 Cayuse Bionic Frog for the Superbowl and I opened it at 9:30 am.

Good steak match, too!

Ribeye!

[cheers.gif]

I’d think Malbec, and while I haven’t had any of these, the 2012 Chester’s Anvil Malbec, the 2011 Catena Alta Malbec and the 2009 Cheval des Andes Malbec all seem worth considering.

Agree on the Arietta Variation One as well as the Bevan Ontogeny.

Also LOVE the 2012 Adler Deutsch for $183. Not bad given the $110 release price, and West Rutherford pedigree. And the winemaker is some guy named Aaron Pott . . .

Had dinner there last summer and would highly recommend the NY Strip - Not my typical order, but really their specialty.

2012 Shafer Merlot is terrific, maybe better than 2011 1.5

The Mark Ryan Long Haul is listed as Merlot blend. It also has Cab Franc and Malbec. It’s a suitable wine for steak, not overpriced as restaurant markups go, and leaves room to fit a more expensive wine in the trio.
I don’t think the Dead Horse is a great choice for a birthday wine.

P Hickner