Recommendations for a $30 California Cabernet

A friend of mine is going to an event that requires that he bring a case of a single California Cabernet based wine that costs under $350. He asked me for recommendations, but considering that I own one bottle of California Cabernet (which was given to me years ago) I thought he might be better served by someone more knowledgeable. The event is scheduled for early April.

What should he bring?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bring a time machine, if that $30 bottle needs to express terroir faithfully.
I have been picking up Chalk Hill Cabernet Sauvignon 1994, between $20
and $30 per bottle.

Without going into excessive detail, this wine (along with five others) will be tasted blind by 12 people. The person that brings the wine that “wins” the blind tasting will also win something.

I don’t think this is a group of wine aficionados, so faithful terroir expression is probably not a requirement. Also, tastes great is probably preferable to less filling.

Stackhouse, Ultraviolet, Silver Ghost, Experience (Refuge), Cameron Hughes 545, and if you want to roll the dice (there’s a theory about bottle variation, as the notes are all over the place) the 2013 Clos du Val.

If you can find them, Cabs from Ken Likitprakong (Hobo and Camp labels, among others) are always good and usually under $30. If you want decent quality wines that would do well in a “low cut dress” environment (to steal Matt Kramer’s term) you could do worse than Cameron Hughes:

I’ve been to a lot of these types of events and the wine that wins isn’t usually the “best”, but the one that pleases the most. So smooth and sort of sweet wines usually win the day, unfortunately.

While I would enjoy one of Kenny’s cabs (thanks Matt B.), I’m not sure the other tasters wouldn’t hold up the glass and utter, “What? Rosé?” Ok, so maybe not that pale, but you get the picture.

Well, for half that price you could get the 2013 Sebastiani Sonoma cab, if you can still find it. Recently had the 2012 Arrowood, quite nice in that range. 2014 Daou.

Doug,

My experience is that in a blind tasting environment, people (especially non-oenophiles) prefer bigger wines. I think the CH wines are a good shout (I once referred to them as nice wines for “advanced beginners”). Cameron Hughes often runs specials online and they are also available at Costco (the Lot 600 is in the South Loop location at $25/bottle). If you don’t have a membership, I can grab a case and deliver to your house and/or grab a bottle if you/your friend would prefer to try before he commits.

FWIW, I looked at some of the local places, but couldn’t find any case quantities of interest in that price range. Vin carries the Daou that was recommended for $23. They also carry the 2010 Chateau St. Jean Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon for $20. I used to drink this and occasionally we’d throw it in as a ringer in blind tastings and it would always do well – very smooth and easy drinking.

Starmont Cabernet Sauvignon is under $30/btl.
I just had a bottle of their 2010 a week or so ago. Easy drinking.

2012 The Paring Red Wine. This retails for $25 and comes from the declassified Jonata (Screaming Eagle’s sister winery) fruit. We tasted it with a panel along with a number of others in the price range and it stood tall above the rest. For what it’s worth, the critics loved it too. Parker called it “smoking good” and Galloni said, “The 2012 Red Wine is easily one of the very best values readers will find in California.” I highly recommend it.

Chappellet Moutain Cuvee or Cameron Hughes

JD

Broken Earth

Another vote for Daou.

champagne.gif 2012 Hardin. Plenty of info here with search.
2009 Hagen’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (only at Gary’s Wine)
He will forever have the respect of his case loving peers. Guaranteed.
These two and Go Figure from Gary’s are the only wines I can recommend in that $30 range avaolable.and I have had many. Sad but true.

Curious statement. Not that I want to start a fight so early in the morning, but what else should “best” mean?

^ This.

A very solid dinner party Cab. Around $25.

For really good domestic Cab that shows varietal typicity and place for $30, I would skip California and look to Washington State.

Here are a few producers producing great, non-entry level, Cab/Bordeaux that can be found around ±$30:
Soos
Two Vintners
Saviah
Gramercy
Betz (have found Clos Betz for around $30)
Cadence
Sheridan
Andrew Will (closer to $40)
Sleight of Hand

The Chappellet is usually very good, but it is a blend and not 100% Cab. If you shop at Costco you can find the 2013 Provenance Rutherford Cab for under $30, and it is usually enjoyable.

Thanks,
Ed

A wine that pleases me.