How long for wine to reach the right temperature?

I’ve written a little utility to calculate how long a bottle of wine takes to cool or warm to your desired serving temperature, and thought you might find it useful:

The method I use is referenced on the web page, but let me know if you’d like more information beyond that.

I drink my red and white wines starting at cellar temperature. trying to keep the whites on the cool side during service. I don’t have any interest in warming red wine before drinking

You lost me at C° ~ Stubborn American

If red wine is really cold (passive cellar in the winter i.e.) it´s better to bring it to 16 d c two days before consumption. I experienced that most red wines are better when they had time to come to the right temperature. Coming direkt from a cold cellar is not the best formula for great reds IMO.

I have always heard the rule of 20’s:

For red wine a room temp (~72 deg F), put the bottle in the fridge for 20 minutes before drinking.

For white wine at fridge temp (~42 deg F), take out of the fridge for 20 minutes before drinking.

I’ve never really used this methodology, and it doesn’t really apply to reds at cellar temp, but for a catch-all it seems logical.

Cool little tool. How about adding “glass” as a size option? have you tested it?

I’ll consider doing v2. O with selectable units. Kelvin obiously, as the SI unit, asnd maybe even Farenheit :slight_smile:

Sadly I don’t have the equations for a glass, but Peynaud points out that wine can warm a degree or two (C) immediately after pouring.

It warms even quicker in my mouth and belly!

Just realised that, because of the way the equations work, if you enter all your temperatures in Fahrenheit you get the correct answer too.