The last bottle

• 2007 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (2/29/2016)
    Tasted this on release, loved it and bought a couple of cases. Last night we had our last bottle. This is splendid Bourgogne that absolutely over-delivers. I cant recall ever having one that was remotely oxidised. It has taken on just a hint of butter and toast development. It is pure and understated with white peach, lemon and rockmelon fruit. It has good detail, decent volume and finishes dry and minerally.

Posted from CellarTracker

A consistent out-performer, year after year. Wines like this are why one buys multiple cases.

Not a comment on the wine, but rather on the “last bottle”. Despite having been into wine for around 20 years, and knowing intellectually that there will always be another “vintage of the century,” “best release ever,” “most amazing wine we’ve ever made,” etc., I still am somewhat wistful when I come to a last bottle of something that I’ve loved, whether I’ve had 2 bottles or 22 bottles. To the point where I sometimes have a hard time opening it.

I’m really typing this to encourage myself to open some of those last bottles that might not be getting any better :slight_smile:

No doubt. It’s relatively easy to part with the third to last and the second to last, but not so easy to part with the last. At least, as you said, if you loved the wine.

Plus I mostly buy in 2s, 3s and 4s of individual wines, rarely large quantities of a single bottling. The end result becomes that I’m often opening wines I have multiples of, not opening the last bottles, and I end up with a great many singles in storage.

It’s not really a sensible way to be about it, but then, this hobby isn’t really about sense most of the time.

I just looked on WSPro, and to my surprise, this is a $50+ bottle nowadays.

Sarah and Jeremy, what are your thoughts on this versus alternative white Burgs at a similar price point?

Hi Chris,

It drinks better than many $70+ Meursaults. I reckon it is good value at $50 (you just have to get over the fact that it is Bourgogne).

Cheers
Jeremy

Oh, this. And those remaining singles are tricky in that they just might get better…or at least remain as good.

Could buy as much of the 07 as i wanted, enquired about the '10 and ws told that it was allocated and there might be a spare bottle or two. Price of entry is not curbing demand.

Buzz and I both went long on this one–the 07. Still going strong.

To expound upon the “last bottle” concept, there’s a preponderance of lines on my wine inventory with a 1 in the quantity column. I need to work on that…

and one way I’ve found that eases the pain is to have a “last bottle” dinner party with appreciative friends–you make the opening of all these extra-special that way. Just my 1.5 cents. Another nice note, Jeremy, glad the last was as enjoyable as the rest.

A bientot,

Mike