TN: Charity wine tasting-the Spanish wines

Every year I do a tasting for 12 people where the proceeds for the winning bid go to charity. Last night was the payoff for the winners. The main tasting was flights of Tempranillo, Nebbiolo and Pinot Noir. These are the Tempranillo impressions. Note that the 1994 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Gran Reserva was corked.

2002 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (2/27/2016)
Lots of cherry fruit with a splash of spice. Very approachable and lots of depth to allow some age.

2004 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (2/27/2016)
Refined, elegant red fruit and wood spice. A deep mineral backbone. Excellent balance. Drink now to judgement day.

2010 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva Selección Especial - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (2/27/2016)
Dark, brooding and yet encouraging. It shows enough of its deep cherry and berry fruit and complex spices to draw me in. Lots of time needed here. The balance is good, so the future looks bright.

Posted from CellarTracker

We had a very lovely, and very inexpensive, Spanish Grenache at a recent group tasting. I didn’t write down the producer’s name naturally! I read in Parker’s Wine Buyer’s Guide that Grenache is popular in Spain. There is a white version too, Garnacha blanc I think it was called, as well as Garnacha tinto. There is also a Garnacha tintorera (a longer name) that isn’t Grenache at all, but a lesser grape - Alicante!

These all appear to be wines to drink in the year 2525.

But I won’t still be alive.

We had a very lovely, and very inexpensive, Spanish Grenache at a recent group tasting. I didn’t write down the producer’s name naturally! I read in Parker’s Wine Buyer’s Guide that Grenache is popular in Spain. There is a white version too, Garnacha blanc I think it was called, as well as Garnacha tinto. There is also a Garnacha tintorera (a longer name) that isn’t Grenache at all, but a lesser grape - Alicante!

Impossible to tell if this was a serious post or not. Good job! [cheers.gif]

OK, so I deviated from the Rioja Riserva theme… but the Grenache was at least Spanish (and really very very lovely). :wink: