Two Copain 2011 Pinots--Very Different! Monument Tree and Wentzel

We’ve talked around here about the 2011 vintage and some of the hits and misses. I personally think a # of terrific wines came out of 2011, with the Wentzel below as an example. Conversely, I was surprised by how much I disliked the Monument Tree, to the point I didn’t even finish the bottle. Yet, I would drink another bottle of the Wentzel without question, as it reminds me some of Burgundy, yet it also has CA tones. I offer these two notes for perspective, for a winery that still remains #1 in my own cellar. The joy of this hobby is to see what lies under the cork, to follow and revere the wines that bring us this joy. Thanks for reading.

• 2011 Copain Pinot Noir Monument Tree - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/22/2016)
    Just over a year between bottles. Opened an hour or so ago, drinking this at various temps to see how it fares. Seems a little fat and fruit centric at this stage, at least with a chill. Similar flavors to a year ago, with lots of strawberry, smoky/gamy fruit and red apple. However, it lacks the finesse I was expecting, instead coming off just more darker than I like. As it sheds the cooler temp, it maintains the same heaviness. Maybe I am just in a bad palate mood or something tonight so will refine my note tomorrow on Day 2 and then we’ll see. I hope it improves…Day 2, man, this wine is just all over the place. It’s got dark strawberry, raspberry, red apple and lacks the complexity and finesse of really good Monument Tree. It’s a cut below the quality of both 2011 Kisers pinots that are grown just up the road and in total, I don’t see this vintage of Tree going in any better direction than where it is today. A little heavy, kind of sweet and dark, disappointing.
  • 2011 Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/24/2016)
    This Wentzel follows the 2011 Monument Tree that I tried to finish last night, but ended up just saying adios to the bottle. I was disappointed in that wine so I thought I’d move on and try the Wentzel. Much better, for sure. In fact, two years since the last bottle and like that one, I’ll track this over 2-3 nights for perspective. For Night 1, opened this about 90 mins ago. The fruit on this Wentzel is more red than the Monument Tree, and it carries with it much more acidity too. There is a hard cherry candy element here, a lingering length of cherry and loam that punctuates the finish, with a light kiss of vanilla. Some traces of blue here too and in total, this reminds me a lot of the Arcadian pinots, that earthy, cherry, meaty quality that I find in Joe’s pinots. I can’t say that I have ever made the mental link between Arcadian and Copain but it feels very strong tonight, authentic. A lot like Burgundy too, when the soil and red cherry really gets electric and speaks together in the flavors. Pretty terrific. But, let’s see how the next couple days go but for sure, this smokes the Monument Tree from this week, clearly. More to come…Day 2 revisit, same tasting conditions. For today, quite similar to y/day, but adding now a distinct blue fruit to go with the tangy cherry red, finishing clean. What I really enjoy today is the same soil and mineral/tangy finish, just delicious, a bit savory and satisfying for my palate. I have one bottle left that I will sit down for another few years and should more come up in the 2ndary market. I’ll grab a few more. Excellent Wentzel, showing a great mix of Burg and CA influences.

Posted from CellarTracker

Frank,

Interesting notes. Reading them made me think about why I stopped buying MT but always bought Wentzel when it was offered. I generally felt that the MT wines were outliers in the Copain portfolio because they tended to be bigger and darker than the others. It wasn’t really a '11 thing for me, just a general preference for the other PNs.

Thanks for your thought-provoking take.

Brad

Brad, I like the Tree more than you. I bought a handful of the 13 Trees after trying it several months ago. I also liked the 12, but aside from a mag I am holding onto, I finished my 750s.

I keep saying I am going to get up to the winery and talk with Wells about where things are headed with the program but I can’t seem to get out of So Cal. Hopefully soon.

I haven’t had either of these in a few years, went back to look at my notes. Tried them both in 2013, one time with you Frank (April), then later that year in November. Both times my notes say I preferred the Wentzel slightly, and that the Tree had a bit more ripeness/sweetness, but still remained elegant and very nice. Interesting how they might have changed in almost 3 years. Not even sure I have any of either left, I focused more on the Kisers in 2011.

Monument Tree was always their darkest and heaviest pinot, I’m not surprised it’s not a good fit for Frankie. They’ve stopped making that wine now, right?

Opened another '11 Wentzel tonight to accompany the DNC. Wow, this is smoking. Not as bright as I remember it (though still very vibrant), but more loamy/earthy. Red cherry and earth tones. Not heavy, but mouth-coating, penetrating and persistent. A wine to contemplate. There will be no Day 2 report.

Here is an update to my post from a year ago. While not having the Monument Tree this time, I am doing the Wentzel. And FWIW, this is the first glass of wine since Falltacular, as I have been simply crushed by the worst cold I can recall having in years. After a week, I feel like my palate got back into gear today, although my energy level is still crap. But hell, I can lay on the couch, watch the NHL and enjoy a glass of pinot noir, right?

Say what you want about the 2011 vintage in CA, there are still great wines made from that year, this remains one of them for me.

• 2011 Copain Pinot Noir Wentzel Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/27/2017)
    Opened this yesterday. This is savory and is showing very consistently with the bottle I drank last year and wrote up. There is fruit here but it leans into the cherry/black cherry flavor spectrum, with a distinct cracked spice and loamy note. As I said in my 2016 note and will state again, this could fool the pinot purist into thinking this was of CA origin. Lively acidity here, finishing with a light brushing of AV red apple surrounded by plenty of the tangy, cherry fruit and blueberry skin. My sense is this is going to age well and as the other aged qualities emerge, they’ll add another layer to what is already quite a distinctive wine. Have one bottle left, gonna save it for say 2020 or so and see what’s under the cork then. Right now, this is excellent.

This wine really pops right out of the gate. Red cherry, tart cherry skin and red apple burst out of the glass. In the mouth, the fruit has a real crunch to it and is, to me, classic Anderson Valley pinot fruit, only with seemingly an extra intensity to it. Some mineral, pine and orange peel come in later, and finish tends to the savory side. Both visually and in its taste sensation, the wine seems so clear and pure, like nothing stands between you and the vibrant flavors and aromas.

I am extremely impressed with this bottle. It’s a tough call whether to enjoy my remaining bottles at this bright and lively stage, or to see where this goes in the longer term. With two bottles left, maybe I’ll do one of each.

Counselor, I am glad you liked the Wentzel, it is pretty unique. I finished the final glass last night and it was still drinking fresh and deliciously savory even after the 3rd day.

By the way, if I have inspired you, then I want to be paid for my inspiration. I’ll have my EA speak with you.

I’ll pay you a bottle of Apothic Red next time I see you, Mr Roman Numeral.

Later that evening, the wine broadened to more of an orange / citrus character, also delicious but in a different way. Great bottle.