Pure expression of Sangiovese?

Looking for a simple yet true to varietal Sangiovese.
I know it can be over all the place.
I have found that Chianti in general is too muddled for me and sometimes has undesirable “funk”
My idea of Sangiovese is cherry fruit, earthiness and spice.
Ideally something not too pricey I can drink anytime, say under $20.
Had some from Italy tonight at a wine bar, it was way too over oaked.

Thanks

I am a big fan of Valdellecorti Chianti Classico. It hits all the points noted below and should be around $20-$25 a bottle. The winery is old school in terms of production methods. You might not get a ton of earthiness on a current or recently released vintage but if you could find 08-11 somewhere, it should be what you are looking for.

Felsina Chianti Classico.
Isole e Olena Chianti Classico.

1 Like

San Felice Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva is a classic expression and very good for the price.

I have only tasted the 2008 Isole e Olena CC and found it quite medicinal and even a bit hot (14,5 % ABV). Could it be that it was an off-bottle? I’m a huge Chianti Classico fan, having enjoyed the likes of Fontodi, Felsina, Castello di Ama, Nozzole, Nittardi, Riecine and Querciabella, but found this one borderline undrinkable.

1 Like

Bad advice. Felsina is the poster boy for Chianti funk. OP is asking for the anti-Felsina Chianti.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the leathery/gamey/vaguely bretty Felsina style, but it is FAR from the pure expression. Heck, Chianti in general is a bad place to look for that, you have more luck in Scansano or Montalcino. For under $20, Scansano is probably the best bet. But that appellation is a freakin’ mine field, so buyer beware.

1 Like

I like Castellare di Castellina a lot.

Montesecondo Rosso or Chianti should fit the bill.

1 Like

Joel, I couldn’t agree more in regards to the ‘muddled’ nature of chianti in general. i suppose that perception is on a palate-by-palate basis. That said, I have found that chianti produced in the Rufina region (higher elevations), produces a cleaner style of chianti. I just tasted an 04 Selvapiana last month and it still tasted fresh. They are reasonably priced as well.

Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo

Riecine

Stay away from most Chianti Classico - even from the top producers -

Try some of the better ‘satellite’ wines from Chianti. Colli Senese is a good example. Usually much less wood, often times just tank fermented, and the good ones show a vibrancy of fruit you won’t get out of a young ‘Classico’ - Trust your local merchant and try a few -

A thousand times yes.

I disagree on Felsina being all about funk. But then we rarely agree on anything.

As for the question above on Isole frol IlkkaL - I HATE, HATE, HATE 2008 CC, regardless of producer.

I disagree on Felsina being all about funk. But then we rarely agree on anything.

. I’ve never had a “pure” Felsina, and I drink a lot of Sangio. That’s just not what they do. I suspect part of the issue here is semantic - using “pure” as a synonym for “good” or “how I think Chianti should taste like”.

Alrighty then :slight_smile: I guess I got unlucky there, I had no idea 2008 was supposed to be a crappy CC vintage. Good to know though, now I can go ahead and give Isole e Olena another chance.

I reckon Rosso di Montalcino might well be worth pursuing with that price target / aim, but also if you appreciate more austere wines: vino nobile di Montepulciano often (but not always) avoids the excesses of oak ‘treatment’.

Some of the normale chiantis are quite straightforward, honest if you like. Although I really like their Bucerchiale, it can also be a bit feral at times, but the ordinary Selvapiana chianti has avoided that problem when I’ve tasted it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have had a few Felsina’s with mixed results, could probably find one I like if I was willing to experiment with a few bottles, the better ones get expensive though.
Had a bottle a Monsanto once that was major funk, really couldn’t drink it.
I like the the idea of looking outside of Chianti and will follow up on the suggestions.
I did have a nice RDM once, think it was Valdicava but the price is a bit higher than i would like.
I also have had some from California being that I live here, but nothing that I like enough.
But I do remember liking some Palmina, will have to revisit next time I am up there.

For pure red fruited expression I like Jay’s Montesecondo advice. Also, Rosso di Montalcinos can be surprisingly on target. Decent luck with Montevertine (which tends to be a little darker, complex and possibly “funky”). Castellare is a good one. Also some luck with Castello di Ama for red-fruitedness, not necessarily QPR. Morellino di Scansano is an interesting twist but tends to be a bit darker.

RT

If you get a chance try some Sangiovese from Noceto in the Sierra Foothills.