What's your Favorite Bedrock Red

For those with more than a passing familiarity (i.e. You’ve drank at least a half case of different Bedrock wines) what are your favorite of Morgan’s cuvees, and, most importantly, WHY?

Actions speak louder than words, so my consistent purchases are:

Bedrock, Dolinsek, Pagani and Papera Heritage. Very unique, one of kind field blends that reflect our US wine making heritage.

Monte Rosso, deep and earthy Zin

Old Vine, year in and year out, some of the best QPR Zins made.

Griffin’s Lair, unique terroir

Hudson, see Griffin’s

The best Bedrock I ever had was a 12 Pagani that I opened the day it arrived direct from release. I know it sounds crazy but it tasted like Allemand. Sometimes great things happen that you can’t explain

2008 Bedrock Wine Co. Syrah Lauterbach Hill Russian River Valley - waa waa wee waa!

Probably Pagani, but I want to say Kirschenmann.

I assume your question is more general than specific. You are likely to eventually get every single red as an answer at some point so I’ll add a few.

We all assume that Oakville Farmhouse will be incredible, but no one has opened one yet.

Morgan’s Syrahs are awesome, they are all so different (and some times experimental) that it is difficult to choose just one.

As for the field blends I love them all but Pagani, Bedorck, and Evanghelo are consistent favorites.

And that’s not even saying anything about any of the cabs or the 100% zins.

Overall:

Bedrock Vineyard Heritage

Right behind, in order of preference:

Kirschenmann Vineyard Zinfandel
Any and all Bedrock Cabernets
Old Vines Zinfandel
Dolinsek Ranch Heritage
Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel
Monte Rosso Vineyard Zinfandel

Not asked by the OP, but still have to mention my fave Bedrock white:

Compagni Portis Heritage

I’ve the 2013 a couple of times, can confirm it’s excellent.

Well damn Alex. Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Bedrock Vineyard Heritage would be my favorite red, with the 2008 probably being my top vintage (although I can see the 13 potentially coming out ahead years down the road).

For the whites, it’s easily the Campagni-Portis Heritage. Just an incredible white blend year in and year out, that gets even better with some age on it (too bad it’s so hard to keep my hands off them)

Big Bedrock fan and have drunk multiple years of most bottlings

The favourite is not even close, Oakville 13, this wine is incredible. Its full of energy and takes so many different turns, its like the rainbow ice cream cones, one second you get cab, then pinot, then meaty syrah. Maybe not a great wine for those looking for classical mature wine but for those who like wines that make you smile and make the world go away this is the real deal. Its like seeing your favourite band, not everyone will like the same band or music but if this is in your wheelhouse its awesome, its Deep Purple playing Osaka in 1971, Hendrix at Woodstock, Mike Oldfield playing Tubular bells on Edinburgh castle car park, shit that just blows your mind to a better place.

Not to say their arent other great Bedrocks but the question was which one, not name them all !!!

Well sheesh, thx Rich!

I’d love to try that 2008 Bedrock Vineyard Heirloom, my first vintage was the 2010, which would probably also be my favorite to date. Totally agree on the 2013 Bedrock Heritage, had one shortly after release and it was stellar, can’t wait to revisit in a few years.

I still have a couple of those.

Another vote for the '08 Lauterbach. I was emailing Morgan and Chris to reload before the bottle was even empty.

Let me know if you’re ever going to be in AZ…but you better hurry because I only have 2 left :slight_smile:

The '08 Bedrock Heritage was awesome. Still have some '09 and '10 resting that I haven’t tried.

The wine:
Bedrock Vineyard Heritage

Why:
The wine has a sense of place, purity and detail I have rarely seen in any other CA wine; it also seems built to last with excellent balance.

Any of their syrahs are as close to no-brainers as you’ll ever find. North Coast at $20 is absurd, and the T&S is outstanding at twice the tariff. Their Old Vines zin is the bottle I use to introduce non-wine-folk to CA zins, and I have more of it in the cellar than any other bottle. Field blends are totally subjective, though I’m very partial to Lorenzo’s Heritage and Monte Rosso. If you ever find yourself near a bottle of Puccini zin, beg borrow or steal it.

My one and only bottle of this was flawed. [oops.gif]

Picking a favorite Bedrock for me is a bit like choosing a favorite short-story by Chekhov. Today I’ll mention the Alder Springs Syrah because it’s the bottle I’m most excited to see on the current release and because memory is still vivid of the '12 we opened months ago that put me in a meditative trance in the middle of a boisterous room.

The 2009 Sonoma Coast syrah. Man, I miss those. While the new incarnation of them in the North Coast bottling is great, the Sonoma Coast blew me away time after time.