Most insane offer ever?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#1 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 2:40 am

I just saw an offer for 2012 Leroy Musigny. Price: 8.500 Swiss Francs / Dollar. Plus Tax. For a single bottle – not a case!

I mean – who buy and drink this wine? I don´t get it, really. Even if I am a billionaire I would´t waste my money this way. I am absolutely sure.

Carlos Delpin

Most insane offer ever?

#2 Post by Carlos Delpin » February 18th, 2016, 2:49 am

Would you spend it on a painting? A watch? It is not the liquid that makes it expensive, it is the label. You are buying a trophy, not a wine.

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#3 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 2:59 am

Carlos,

that special element seems not be part of my DNA. I always thought wine is for sitting around with people and having fun. I can´t see it other than this.

Carlos Delpin

Most insane offer ever?

#4 Post by Carlos Delpin » February 18th, 2016, 3:08 am

Oh, I agree and would not buy it either, but there are plenty of trophy hunters out there.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#5 Post by J a y H a c k » February 18th, 2016, 3:09 am

Jurgen:

Most insane? You obviously do not live in the United States. Do you know what people were paying for Superbowl tickets? And the game is over in a bit over three hours. At least with the wine you can stare at it for a few years before you drink it, and with a Coravin or a Pungo you can stretch it out over a few days.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jens Bordasch

Most insane offer ever?

#6 Post by Jens Bordasch » February 18th, 2016, 3:33 am

Jürgen, the nature of my business is to deal with billionaires and I can tell you that they don't care at all. If they want this bottle -for whatever reason- they will buy it even if you double the price tag...and honestly why not. I have clients earning several hundred of millions per month and they rather have a rare bottle of Musingy with good friends than a 8.500 Swiss Francs higher balance in their bank account.
Cheers,
Jens

Photo: 1899 Yquem

Gerhard P.

Most insane offer ever?

#7 Post by Gerhard P. » February 18th, 2016, 3:53 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:I just saw an offer for 2012 Leroy Musigny. Price: 8.500 Swiss Francs / Dollar. Plus Tax. For a single bottle – not a case!

I mean – who buy and drink this wine? I don´t get it, really. Even if I am a billionaire I would´t waste my money this way. I am absolutely sure.
Jürgen,

there are a great many people on earth who earn so much that 8.500 Euro for a bottle of wine is NOTHING ...

just for instance Guardiola (soccer trainer) moved from Bayern to Manchester city - where he is making 25 Million € per year ... this is 2 Million a month, 66.000 per day which is 4 Musigny bottles daily neener ...

Do you think he would care if this bottle is 3.000 , 5.000. or 9.000 - just if he wants to have it?
Unfortnately many wealth people don´t have a great idea of fine wines, but they have the money, and IF they want something rare, something exclusive, something to show off ... they buy it.

Fortunately more often Lafite, Mouton .... DRC ... than other rare wines ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Bruce Leiser_owitz

Most insane offer ever?

#8 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » February 18th, 2016, 4:57 am

If the bottle gives me super powers--the ability to fly through the air or see through walls--then yes, it's worth it.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#9 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 5:05 am

Jens,

maybe I do not understand that part of the world ... that is quite possible. But isn´t this the proof that something is really strange in our world? Ok - that would be a different question and probably not an issue on a wine board.

Steve Eisenhauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#10 Post by Steve Eisenhauer » February 18th, 2016, 5:06 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
there are a great many people on earth who earn so much that 8.500 Euro for a bottle of wine is NOTHING ...

just for instance Guardiola (soccer trainer) moved from Bayern to Manchester city - where he is making 25 Million € per year ... this is 2 Million a month, 66.000 per day which is 4 Musigny bottles daily neener ...
And he's a s*$& manager, too. Sorry for the thread drift, but I'm so happy to see this clown leave Bayern. newhere
ITB - Congruence Wines

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#11 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 18th, 2016, 5:12 am

Carlos Delpin wrote:Would you spend it on a painting? A watch? It is not the liquid that makes it expensive, it is the label. You are buying a trophy, not a wine.
Hey, you big lug, leave art and watches out of this, you buy them too! [wow.gif]

And yea, for a bottle, that's pretty insane. But then again, most folks think us spending $250 on a bottle is insane.

A little insanity is good sometimes.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Most insane offer ever?

#12 Post by Jim Anderson » February 18th, 2016, 5:34 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:I just saw an offer for 2012 Leroy Musigny. Price: 8.500 Swiss Francs / Dollar. Plus Tax. For a single bottle – not a case!

Pshaw. That will only get you 2/3rds a bottle of 2012 DRC RC. You, my friend, are talking about a bargain.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#13 Post by Jay Miller » February 18th, 2016, 5:49 am

If I had won the Powerball, sure, why not? Of course I'd also be giving millions a year to charity at that point.

It would be insane for me to buy it in my current circumstances but if was making enough money that it was the equivalent of a nice dinner out I see nothing wrong with it. Though at that point I'd buy the aforementioned DRC RC first. And share it with friends who wouldn't otherwise have a chance to try it. Once it was mature.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Dennis Kanagie

Most insane offer ever?

#14 Post by Dennis Kanagie » February 18th, 2016, 5:57 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote: maybe I do not understand that part of the world ... that is quite possible.
There's no maybe about it - you definitely don't. I don't play on that field either, but I understand the thinking. If you have the money and it gives you pleasure, you should go for it.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Gerhard P.

Most insane offer ever?

#15 Post by Gerhard P. » February 18th, 2016, 6:28 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:If the bottle gives me super powers--the ability to fly through the air or see through walls--then yes, it's worth it.

Bruce
I´ve tasted quite a few rare and fine wines, incl. Musigny/Leroy (not 2012) .... never had the ability to fly ....
[shock.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#16 Post by Craig G » February 18th, 2016, 6:43 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:If the bottle gives me super powers--the ability to fly through the air or see through walls--then yes, it's worth it.
It could possibly give you the ability to see double and drive through walls.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Gerhard P.

Most insane offer ever?

#17 Post by Gerhard P. » February 18th, 2016, 6:43 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:Jens,

maybe I do not understand that part of the world ... that is quite possible. But isn´t this the proof that something is really strange in our world? Ok - that would be a different question and probably not an issue on a wine board.
There IS A LOT strange in this world - but if buying a 8.500-bottle of wine is the strangest thing (at least it doesn´t do any harm to anybody), this would be paradise ....

There were always strange things - from building the pyramids with slaves .... to highjacking black people from Africa for the new word .... to concentration camps .... to Srebrenica ... and now Assads war against his own people .... [head-bang.gif]

Paying 170 Mio. for a Modigliani or 140 Mio. for a Pollock is IMHO more insane .... you even cannot taste it [wow.gif] .... but again: it doesn´t do any harm to anybody !

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:.....

A little insanity is good sometimes.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#18 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 6:55 am

Gerhard,

I did taste several High End Burgundy either – Leroy, DRC, Rousseau, Roumier – and could´t fly either. But that were at times when the prices of this wines were high but not like they are today. At least in the secondary market.

Gerhard P.

Most insane offer ever?

#19 Post by Gerhard P. » February 18th, 2016, 7:09 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:Gerhard,

I did taste several High End Burgundy either – Leroy, DRC, Rousseau, Roumier – and could´t fly either. But that were at times when the prices of this wines were high but not like they are today. At least in the secondary market.
Jürgen,
you are right - prices in the secondary market are (mostly) out of my reach ... that´s why I buy almost all bottles directly from the producers (or older bts. at auctions) - and Leroy, DRC etc. I put only in tastings where we share the costs among 12-16 people ...

On the other hand: if we are not drinking labels ... there are a lot of fine wines still affordable - if you did your homeworks, you can still pick up bargains that provide great pleasure, if you know when to open and how to serve ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#20 Post by Anton D » February 18th, 2016, 7:16 am

Dang, for that kind of money, you could be low bidder on an American rose wine with a playing card for a label!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#21 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 7:18 am

Gerhard,

there is one more argument IMO – as good as some of the cult wines are – almost ever it´s possible to find similar quality to a fraction of the price. And that is the main reason why I think it´s better to look for a better QPR instead of paying tons of cash for a single bottle of wine. I would understand it better if such bottles really give you this so called "out of body" experience. But that is not the case. And when the wines are tasted blind without seeing the label things are getting even more complicated (or insane).

Jens Bordasch

Most insane offer ever?

#22 Post by Jens Bordasch » February 18th, 2016, 8:40 am

there is one more argument IMO – as good as some of the cult wines are – almost ever it´s possible to find similar quality to a fraction of the price. And that is the main reason why I think it´s better to look for a better QPR instead of paying tons of cash for a single bottle of wine. I would understand it better if such bottles really give you this so called "out of body" experience. But that is not the case. And when the wines are tasted blind without seeing the label things are getting even more complicated (or insane).
Jürgen,

let me try to explain it this way: If you earn a million a day (and I have at least 6 clients doing so) and you spend the whole million on that day for insane things and you happily go to sleep at night...and when you wake up you have a new fresh million in your bank account...you don't really care about QPR in wine...you buy what you wanna drink...and the day after the next million is waiting to be burned. It's really a different life I can tell you ;-) Even if you drink a case of DRC every day these guys haven't even spent 20% of the daily earnings...
Cheers,
Jens

Kevin Sidders
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#23 Post by Kevin Sidders » February 18th, 2016, 8:44 am

These posts seem to come up frequently, and yet I never understand them.

Whatever each of us is comfortable paying for a bottle of wine ($250, $100, $50, $25, $10), there are billions of people in the world who think paying that amount for something as simple as a bottle of wine would be insane. Wherever our personal comfort-level on the scale is, there are lots of people on levels well above and well below that. Why is that a hard concept to grasp? Different strokes...

To that end here's a great example. Years ago I was out with a client who was very into wine, and he inquired about the size of my boss's cellar. When I told him I guessed it was roughly 10,000 bottles, he responded "that's absurd. Nobody needs that much wine. That's conspicuous consumption if I've ever seen it." So of course I asked him the size of his cellar -- totally straight-faced he says "about 4,000 bottles." So apparently the line between "normal" and "absurd conspicuous consumption" is somewhere between 4,000 and 10,000 bottles.

Good to know...
(ITB) VinConnect Inc.
Mailing lists for top European wineries

Dennis Kanagie

Most insane offer ever?

#24 Post by Dennis Kanagie » February 18th, 2016, 8:49 am

Jens Bordasch wrote:

Jürgen,

let me try to explain it this way: If you earn a million a day (and I have at least 6 clients doing so) and you spend the whole million on that day for insane things and you happily go to sleep at night...and when you wake up you have a new fresh million in your bank account...you don't really care about QPR in wine...you buy what you wanna drink...and the day after the next million is waiting to be burned. It's really a different life I can tell you ;-) Even if you drink a case of DRC every day these guys haven't even spent 20% of the daily earnings...
Is one of your clients named Monty Brewster by any chance? [snort.gif]
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#25 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 9:17 am

Jens,

I am aware this world exists. You must´t explain it better as you already did. It´s obvious. Everyone can do with his money what he wants as long as it is legal. Agreed. Anyway: I don´t understand why some rich people don´t care for QPR anymore. But ok – so be it. Money is a rare resource for almost anybody on the planet. Maybe that makes this behavior so difficult to understand. But I am out now. I would´t turn this into a philosophical debate. Sorry for that. It was´t my intention. Overall it´s sad that more and more wines get out of the reach of normal people. This Musigny is only the top of the iceberg. Burgundy gets more and more expensive year after year. Bordeaux as well. Even top German Riesling and Spätburgunder grow in price vintage after vintage. No good news for wine consumers with a limited budget.

Dennis Kanagie

Most insane offer ever?

#26 Post by Dennis Kanagie » February 18th, 2016, 9:19 am

Jürgen, the gap between the haves and the have-nots is widening every day.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Dusty Gillson

Most insane offer ever?

#27 Post by Dusty Gillson » February 18th, 2016, 9:29 am

Everything is relative. A former boss of mine owned a small jet, and the costs he incurred every time he took off and landed would buy an awful lot of wine. He had no reason to fly other than pleasure and convenience, but would've laughed in your face if you suggested that a $50 bottle of wine was worth the price. Instead, he bought a house with 2 800 bottle cooling units and filled them with $15 Napa Cabs.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#28 Post by Alan Rath » February 18th, 2016, 9:29 am

Hell with the wine, I want to be Jens's client. Obviously he's doing something right [wow.gif]
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Jens Bordasch

Most insane offer ever?

#29 Post by Jens Bordasch » February 18th, 2016, 10:16 am

Alan Rath wrote:Hell with the wine, I want to be Jens's client. Obviously he's doing something right [wow.gif]
Well, I help them spending...not earning [cheers.gif]
Cheers,
Jens

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#30 Post by Alan Eden » February 18th, 2016, 10:20 am

Steve Eisenhauer wrote:
Gerhard P. wrote:

And he's a s*$& manager, too. Sorry for the thread drift, but I'm so happy to see this clown leave Bayern. newhere
Interestingly if he wins the ECL for City 25 million will be a bargin, Soccer managers are the new CEO's they are running billion dollar teams so its only right they get a peice
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#31 Post by Anton D » February 18th, 2016, 10:50 am

Jens Bordasch wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:Hell with the wine, I want to be Jens's client. Obviously he's doing something right [wow.gif]
Well, I help them spending...not earning [cheers.gif]
I had a second cousin who claimed that same thing, but the cops arrested her, anyway.

champagne.gif
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Jeff Leve

Most insane offer ever?

#32 Post by Jeff Leve » February 18th, 2016, 11:46 am

Jurgen... Why do you care how others spend their money? You've always had a problem with it. The truth is, some people have more money than others. They fly in private planes, have yachts, drive vintage Ferraris, collect multi million dollar paintings, buy private islands, pay thousands of dollars for floor seats to an NBA game, or to sit in the front row at a concert. I know of rock and roll concert posters that have sold for $150,000! Rare phonograph records have sold for over $100,000. There are musical instruments selling for millions of dollars, watches that sell for most than most people spend on houses. The list is endless. There was a person that spent about 20 million dollars to fly into space a few years back. Virgin is already taking reservations for their space flights. Do you think any of those people care about buying a single bottle of wine for $8,500? Some people have more money than others and they spend it as they wish.

For the majority of the world, $100 for a bottle of wine is more than crazy! It's all relative.

M A T T H A R T L E Y

Most insane offer ever?

#33 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » February 18th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Jens Bordasch wrote:

Jürgen,

That's the goal....$1 million per day.

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#34 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Jeff,

we discussed this about 100 times in the past. I think it would be a benefit for us all if every person knows a limit. For everything. No matter how rich someone is. Call this naive. I know you disagree. OK.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#35 Post by Anton D » February 18th, 2016, 12:21 pm

I had a client once who worked for one of the founders of a big giant software goliath.

They wanted to buy all the cable companies in the country.

He said, "You'd be surprised where 30 billion dollars can't take you."

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

Dennis Kanagie

Most insane offer ever?

#36 Post by Dennis Kanagie » February 18th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Jürgen Steinke wrote:Jeff,

we discussed this about 100 times in the past. I think it would be a benefit for us all if every person knows a limit. For everything. No matter how rich someone is. Call this naive. I know you disagree. OK.
it's past naive. It's communism, and Americans despise communism. Go right ahead and set limits for yourself, but don't you dare set them for anyone else living in a free market. If I've earned enough money to spend $8500 on a bottle of wine, and I want that wine, I'm gonna buy it - naysayers be damned. The only people who would "benefit" from set limits are those that don't have the imagination and drive to succeed.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#37 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 1:17 pm

I am a communist? Ask people who know me and they will laugh laud. That is actually a joke. With your opinion you will find few followers in entire Europe. That is something you can count on.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#38 Post by AlexS » February 18th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Dennis Kanagie wrote:

it's past naive. It's communism, and Americans despise communism. Go right ahead and set limits for yourself, but don't you dare set them for anyone else living in a free market. If I've earned enough money to spend $8500 on a bottle of wine, and I want that wine, I'm gonna buy it - naysayers be damned. The only people who would "benefit" from set limits are those that don't have the imagination and drive to succeed.
s t e w @ r t

Jürgen Steinke

Most insane offer ever?

#39 Post by Jürgen Steinke » February 18th, 2016, 2:00 pm

oh - sublime ...

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#40 Post by Anton D » February 18th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Dennis Kanagie wrote:

With enough intelligence and drive, one can earn enough scratch to buy a Wu Tang Clan LP for cash money and then go mingle on Capital Hill! champagne.gif

As The Nails sang in one of my favorite songs: "Kathleen's point of view was this: Take whatever you can grab."
Anton Dotson

Jeff Leve

Most insane offer ever?

#41 Post by Jeff Leve » February 18th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Your opinion is not naive. You are moralistic and judgmental. You think you should be able to set some sort of standard for what is right, or wrong, regarding how much money one spends. It's up the individual to set their own standard. It's not up to you, or a community etc. They earned it, found it, inherited it... etc... It's their choice. And if it makes them happy, or not, it's none of your business!

As I said before, for the majority of the world, you spending $20 on a bottle of wine, let alone $100 on a bottle of wine is insane. Yet, you think nothing of that. It's only when your sense of standards is violated that you think others should feel like you do.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#42 Post by Anton D » February 18th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:

Your opinion is not naive. You are moralistic and judgmental. You think you should be able to set some sort of standard for what is right, or wrong, regarding how much money one spends. It's up the individual to set their own standard. It's not up to you, or a community etc. They earned it, found it, inherited it... etc... It's their choice. And if it makes them happy, or not, it's none of your business!

As I said before, for the majority of the world, you spending $20 on a bottle of wine, let alone $100 on a bottle of wine is insane. Yet, you think nothing of that. It's only when your sense of standards is violated that you think others should feel like you do.
Chateau Affluenza for 8,400, please.

[cheers.gif]

I think we are all Bozos on this bus!
Anton Dotson

anthonyshideler

Most insane offer ever?

#43 Post by anthonyshideler » February 18th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I received the same exact offer and had two clients interested in the whole 3pack. When I inquired about the bottles, they had already sold. Looks like there are a few people out there who find this wine appealing at this price.
ITB

Dennis Kanagie

Most insane offer ever?

#44 Post by Dennis Kanagie » February 18th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Here ya go Jürgen:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1&t=125130

Right up your alley!
Purple Drankin' Cretin

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Most insane offer ever?

#45 Post by c fu » February 18th, 2016, 4:04 pm

M A T T H A R T L E Y wrote:
Jens Bordasch wrote:

Jürgen,

That's the goal....$1 million per day.
6 clients that bring in an income of $365 mil a year? I'm surprised there are that many people in that area making that much money a year.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Sebastian C.

Most insane offer ever?

#46 Post by Sebastian C. » February 18th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Give the guy a break. Just another heart broken from ever escalating top wine prices. Just venting.
C0rr3@

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#47 Post by Charlie Carnes » February 18th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Jürgen, you put a cool billion in my lap... after some serious tithing, that Leroy Musigny is going to be sitting smack dab in my cellar. Followed by some serious art, Robert can help me choose some pieces. But you know, watches don't do it for me. My wife loves them so maybe I'll buy her a nice one.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#48 Post by Brandon J. » February 18th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Interesting people get upset about such a thing.

People spend exorbitant amount of money on all sorts of things.How about a $25K guitar? Would I buy an original 1957 mint Strat? No, but only because I couldn't play it and gig with it.

Same goes for cool shotguns, books, cars or ANY other collectible. My personal strategy is, if I can't "use" the item for which it was originally intended for then I'd rather just admire those who are willing to spend the money on such collectibles. I certainly understand the collecting aspect, but it's odd anyone would criticize or even mention "capping" such a thing.
John sen

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Most insane offer ever?

#49 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 18th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:

I'm going to politely disagree.

There's an asshat out there now nicknamed "pharma bro" that just dropped $2,000,000 to have a Wu Tang album all to himself. He accumulated the scratch to do that through a grotesque extortion of people dying without his "product". People who, once their deductible is met, get a significant portion of the grossly overpriced pharmaceutical covered by insurance. Which is a big pool of money I am required to contribute to. At a higher rate thanks to "people" like pharma bro. Which cuts into my buying Pierre Peters, Raffault, Schloss Gobelsberg, and other more affordable, yet amazing, wines.

Money doesn't grow on trees my Grandfather used to say. It always comes out of somebody's pocket, and if you're taking so much that $8500/bottle is meaningless, chances are good you're doing harm to someone else. Even if they don't know it.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on February 18th, 2016, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Most insane offer ever?

#50 Post by Craig G » February 18th, 2016, 8:46 pm

This is a pretty interesting thread. I understand Jürgen's gut reaction at someone paying a huge price for wine, but in the end I think the only thing you can determine about someone doing this is that they have a fair amount of money to spend. We don't know if they bought it to drink or to cellar, for pleasure or status, on a lark or to celebrate a momentous event. We don't know if these people are great philanthropists or great douchebags. There are a lot of very rich people who do pretty good things with their money.

I believe if I had the cash, I would probably be buying wines like that. I don't buy expensive watches, clothes, cars, guitars or bikes, but I spend - by any reasonable measure - an unreasonable amount of money on wine.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Return to “Wine Talk”