Wine shops in San Francisco, California

Going on a cruise with friends in a couple months and there is a full day (about 12 hour) port of call in San Fran. They allow each person to bring back on board 2 bottles of wine at the stop. The boat docks at Pier 27 at the Embarcadero area, right next to the financial district.

Since I know we’ll be out of the wine that we carried-on when the cruise started, My plan is to fine a wine shop that we can go and pick up wine that they have in stock or that I can buy in advance and have them hold until we get there. The shop needs to be within walking distance or a short cab/uber ride from the pier area.

Anyone got wine shop rec’s for that area of San Francisco?

K&L Wines.

No, but curious what cruiseline/ship? Bon voyage.

K&L is pretty far away. Coit Liquors in a brief walk. Can walk to Kokkari for a meal too!

Flatiron in the Palace hotel just opened last week. They’re very good – K&L has more depth, but they’re further away. Pier 27 is just outside my front window. Enjoy the trip.

Not a deep selection but Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant could be a diversion what with the other shops???

Disney. They used to allow unlimited wine carry on but now it’s 2 bottles per person at a time.

In order of distance.

1. Ferry Plaza Wine Merchants
  2. Flat Iron Wines
  3. K&L Wines
  4. The Wine Club (1 block from K&L)

Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant is a good option and probably closest to where you’ll be. I like K&L a lot - they’re farther away but if you’re planning to take a taxi or uber anyway then that would be my pick.

Gotcha, thx. And a corkage fee of $25 I see.

where did Dee Vine relocate to?

Except in our conscierge level state room :slight_smile:

Thanks for the recs. Will be a big help.

Oh, +1 on the Ferry Building. Flatiron and K&L have better wine selections, but you can easily walk from #27 to #1, the choice of food there is unbeatable, and if you indulge at Humphry Slocombe, you’ll be happy for the walk back.

Forgot to ask about food places. So thanks for the recs on those.

They closed the shop on Pier 9. You order online and have the wine shipped, or you can arrange pickup at Biondivino (a shop on Russian Hill) or their warehouse in Sonoma (Groskopf).

-Al

Why not do a winery? Several in SF.

Didn’t know there was, can you elaborate? While we’ve got a couple things planned, but part of the day will be free to walk around the city, sight see, figure out more things to do, etc.

+1 on Flatiron.

A bit farther away but well worth it if you are a Natural Wine fan is Ruby Wine Merchants in Portrero. Fantastically curated shop with unique selections.