Bedrock Spring Release?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Bedrock Spring Release?

#51 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 19th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Sorry, Morgan, you lost me at nymphets, brassieres, and spicy pepper panties. Really. Pretty offensive.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

huberww
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#52 Post by huberww » February 19th, 2016, 7:22 pm

I had mentally ordered two cases before even reading about the third of the wines to be offered...
Bill Huber

Robert Oertel

Bedrock Spring Release?

#53 Post by Robert Oertel » February 19th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Prepped for this release by opening a Riesling tonight. It's funny that the zin got me hooked on bedrock but I've been looking forward to the whites more than reds. Both the sav Blancs and the Albarino sound too goo to pass up plus the Nervo Ranch. Really looking forward to this release.

mpst0ck13y

Bedrock Spring Release?

#54 Post by mpst0ck13y » February 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Morgan,

When you mention Nervo as a claret like wine, what do you mean? I've taken that to mean a lighter style, but that doesn't sync up with your other descriptors.

Cheers!
M @ r k

Morgan Twain-Peterson

Bedrock Spring Release?

#55 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson » February 19th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:Sorry, Morgan, you lost me at nymphets, brassieres, and spicy pepper panties. Really. Pretty offensive.
Yeah. I can see how you might take exception to that sentence. My apologies, not my best writing moment. I have edited the release accordingly. I appreciate the feedback- to be honest I didn't feel quite right about the notes when I posted them, like I had posted prematurely, and clearly that gut-feeling was right. Thanks!

Drew Goin

Bedrock Spring Release?

#56 Post by Drew Goin » February 20th, 2016, 1:05 am

I appreciate the increased play in the CoCo area: Evangelho, now Live Oak. This makes me smile!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Bedrock Spring Release?

#57 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 20th, 2016, 8:21 am

Morgan Twain-Peterson wrote:
Merrill Lindquist wrote:Sorry, Morgan, you lost me at nymphets, brassieres, and spicy pepper panties. Really. Pretty offensive.
Yeah. I can see how you might take exception to that sentence. My apologies, not my best writing moment. I have edited the release accordingly. I appreciate the feedback- to be honest I didn't feel quite right about the notes when I posted them, like I had posted prematurely, and clearly that gut-feeling was right. Thanks!
No problem, Morgan, I accept your apology. You are a gentleman.
Merrill

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#58 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » February 20th, 2016, 9:23 am

Morgan, do you have plans to expand into more magnums going forward?

P. D e r d e y n

Bedrock Spring Release?

#59 Post by P. D e r d e y n » February 20th, 2016, 11:40 am

Morgan, is the Staves of Waidhofen Sauv Blanc the exact same juice as the Sonoma Valley just with different barrel treatment?
Patrick

Drew Goin

Bedrock Spring Release?

#60 Post by Drew Goin » February 20th, 2016, 1:11 pm

P. D e r d e y n wrote:Morgan, is the Staves of Waidhofen Sauv Blanc the exact same juice as the Sonoma Valley just with different barrel treatment?
+1

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#61 Post by Russ Williams » February 20th, 2016, 1:31 pm

mpst0ck13y wrote:Morgan,

When you mention Nervo as a claret like wine, what do you mean? I've taken that to mean a lighter style, but that doesn't sync up with your other descriptors.

Cheers!
+1
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Morgan Twain-Peterson

Bedrock Spring Release?

#62 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson » February 20th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:Morgan, do you have plans to expand into more magnums going forward?
If we ever got our own bottling line we would do more in the way of magnums. Currently, if we want to run anything over 10 cases or so it becomes pretty problematic from a time and logistics issue for bottling, particularly given the number of wines we make. We can always hand-bottle small numbers but I worry about greater bottle variation as things like dissolved oxygen, fill level, etc. can vary a bit more.

Morgan Twain-Peterson

Bedrock Spring Release?

#63 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson » February 20th, 2016, 5:13 pm

P. D e r d e y n wrote:Morgan, is the Staves of Waidhofen Sauv Blanc the exact same juice as the Sonoma Valley just with different barrel treatment?
The blends are a bit different. The Staves of Waidhofen is composed of just a few barrels- namely 3, 228 liter barrels of Ubaldi and 1 500 liter puncheon of Frye Road. The Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc is about 25% new oak, 23% neutral oak, and 52% stainless steel with 60% coming from Frye Road and 40% from Ubaldi. We had no plans of making the Staves of Waidhofen at harvest but there were a few barrels that were among the best we have ever tasted on SB and felt they made a compelling case to be bottled separately. Cheers!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Bedrock Spring Release?

#64 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 20th, 2016, 5:16 pm

My custom crush facility (Judd's Hill) has its own bottling line. Such a pleasure. No one gets upset. Bottle pretty much when I want. The days of old when we got the mobile bottling line in? Chaos. Hatred. Unpleasant.
Merrill

Morgan Twain-Peterson

Bedrock Spring Release?

#65 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson » February 20th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Cheers!
In the case of Nervo I mean that texturally it reminds me more of young Bordeaux- tannin, graphite, even some peppery character. It becomes a bit confusing because in California most wines traditionally bottled "Claret" in the latter-part of the 19th and first half of 20th century did indicate a more elegant style wine. Based on what I have read, "Burgundy" usually meant a darker and more powerful wine. To make matters even more confusing, Nervo Winery bottled a "Burgundy" and the vineyard contains many varieties typically used in "Burgundy" plantings (for instance Negrette was originally known as Pinot St. George in California). So, I guess I am saying that the wine reminds me structurally of more modern Bordeaux but in reality is likely very true to its intended use as "California Burgundy." Hope that makes some sense!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#66 Post by Rich Brown » February 20th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Cheers!
In the case of Nervo I mean that texturally it reminds me more of young Bordeaux- tannin, graphite, even some peppery character. It becomes a bit confusing because in California most wines traditionally bottled "Claret" in the latter-part of the 19th and first half of 20th century did indicate a more elegant style wine. Based on what I have read, "Burgundy" usually meant a darker and more powerful wine. To make matters even more confusing, Nervo Winery bottled a "Burgundy" and the vineyard contains many varieties typically used in "Burgundy" plantings (for instance Negrette was originally known as Pinot St. George in California). So, I guess I am saying that the wine reminds me structurally of more modern Bordeaux but in reality is likely very true to its intended use as "California Burgundy." Hope that makes some sense!
It sure does! Well.....at least enough sense that I'm definitely going to order some and can't wait to try it :)

Thanks for the feedback Morgan- always very much appreciated!

mpst0ck13y

Bedrock Spring Release?

#67 Post by mpst0ck13y » February 20th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Cheers!
It does, thanks! I actually was going to pass on the Nervo because I thought it was lighter in style, but it actually sounds exactly up my alley.
M @ r k

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#68 Post by Peter Petersen » February 20th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Cheers!
Morgan, I hope you don't mind if I add my two cents here to enhance your comments.
As an old style European my self I was actually brought up with the idea that Burgundy meant richer sexier and more opulent wines, while Bdx meant elegance. Several older french books also seem to indicate that this was indeed the perception in the past (past being books written before WWII).

Drew Goin

Bedrock Spring Release?

#69 Post by Drew Goin » February 22nd, 2016, 10:50 am

I am about to go into a seizure waiting for the Bedrock (and Sandlands) release!

S.Homewood

Bedrock Spring Release?

#70 Post by S.Homewood » February 22nd, 2016, 10:59 am

Isn't Bedrock tomorrow, the 23rd?
$ t e v e H 0 m e w 0 0 d

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#71 Post by Peter Petersen » February 22nd, 2016, 5:52 pm

Must say that I mis these Bedrock mailers. Drank the '13 Dolinsek over two nights recently, such a good wine.

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#72 Post by ykwon » February 23rd, 2016, 6:47 am

Anyone know what time the order line opens up? 9am PST?
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#73 Post by Brian Tuite » February 23rd, 2016, 7:05 am

ykwon wrote:Anyone know what time the order line opens up? 9am PST?
When it hits your inbox. Based on past releases anywhere between 9:30 and 10:30 am PST. Allocations are guaranteed so no rush to be the first order in.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#74 Post by ykwon » February 23rd, 2016, 7:28 am

Brian - thanks!
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#75 Post by Nate Simon » February 23rd, 2016, 8:26 am

Allocations are guaranteed, so y'all can actually do something productive with your morning. ;)

Morgan Twain-Peterson

Bedrock Spring Release?

#76 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson » February 23rd, 2016, 8:55 am

The newsletter will go out at 10 AM PST at the latest. Sorry for the delay, my grammar was worse than normal and required a few more edits [oops.gif]

And as usual allocations are guaranteed until this coming Sunday at midnight.

Looking forward to getting the wines out to the world!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#77 Post by Michael Martin » February 23rd, 2016, 9:13 am

It's live!

P. D e r d e y n

Bedrock Spring Release?

#78 Post by P. D e r d e y n » February 23rd, 2016, 9:25 am

Order in, this is a diverse offering even by Bedrock standards. I didn't take any of the mags so you vultures can have them.
Patrick

S.Homewood

Bedrock Spring Release?

#79 Post by S.Homewood » February 23rd, 2016, 9:35 am

In for a couple cases. Fingers crossed on the OV mags
$ t e v e H 0 m e w 0 0 d

M McCombs
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#80 Post by M McCombs » February 23rd, 2016, 9:49 am

Case for me. Now I'm hoping someone outbids me on the K&L auctions I'm currently leading.
Micah

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#81 Post by Rich Brown » February 23rd, 2016, 10:06 am

Order in! Yet again, I was unable to show any restraint with my Bedrock order.

Pumped for the new releases, and keeping my fingers crossed for a mag or two of the ancient vine syrah.

Thanks Morgan and Chris!

AdamLeigh

Bedrock Spring Release?

#82 Post by AdamLeigh » February 23rd, 2016, 10:25 am

Order in... same as others above, not able to pass on this one, albeit a smaller order than last couple releases--I'm running out of space in the (recently increased!) offsite storage..... hoping for a mag of the syrah..

Seo S a l i m i

Bedrock Spring Release?

#83 Post by Seo S a l i m i » February 23rd, 2016, 10:37 am

Showed major restraint. Just some syrahs and a wishlist. Was not easy to do. Helps that my cellar is stacked with Bedrock.

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#84 Post by ykwon » February 23rd, 2016, 10:38 am

Second time to order. 8 bottles and wish listed limerick and OV mag.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Drew Goin

Bedrock Spring Release?

#85 Post by Drew Goin » February 23rd, 2016, 11:08 am

I love the notes from the email. I now have all sorts of nerd-fodder to chew on with my Bedrock!

M Hudson

Bedrock Spring Release?

#86 Post by M Hudson » February 23rd, 2016, 11:53 am

I have been on the list since the 09 vintage, and think I have finally figured out how to buy.

I have gone from trying to pick individual wines based on last year to now just buying a few of each. I find buying 2 of each and putting them away for a minimum of 3 years is what works for me on most all his wines. Of course there are exceptions, such as the rose or the SB but even the SB benefits from a year in the cellar in my opinion.

Its become more important to me to stay on his list as I have been dropping all my higher priced list. Dollar for Dollar his wines are very, and I mean very hard to beat.

On saturday nights the wife has been pouring random wines into the decanter and hiding the bottles and making me guess. I have been pleasantly surprised by a few bedrocks over the last few months.
M@rk
Actions Matter

MikeMy
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#87 Post by MikeMy » February 23rd, 2016, 12:07 pm

I was allocated my normal truck load but do to storage limitations (Bedrock is piling up) I had to restrain myself to just a pallet quantity this time. neener .
Also skipped my entire allocations of Sauvignon Blanc.

Tons of reds left over for the "outsiders" too.
My=Myers

Jeffrey Neal

Bedrock Spring Release?

#88 Post by Jeffrey Neal » February 23rd, 2016, 5:36 pm

In for 3 cases, 1 of which is Ode to Lulu.

Drew Goin

Bedrock Spring Release?

#89 Post by Drew Goin » February 23rd, 2016, 5:51 pm

Ode to Lulu and Papera Ranch

This will be my first experience with both (from Bedrock)! Very excited!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#90 Post by Rich Brown » February 23rd, 2016, 6:07 pm

Drew Goin wrote:Ode to Lulu and Papera Ranch

This will be my first experience with both (from Bedrock)! Very excited!
If I was a betting man Drew....I'd say you're going to dig them both.

A lot :)

David_T

Bedrock Spring Release?

#91 Post by David_T » February 27th, 2016, 10:53 pm

I was out of town when the release hit and wanted to taste a couple vineyards I surprisingly hadn't previous opened (Papera/Weill, both nice) before ordering. Using more self restraint than I think I ever have, even if my two wishlist bottles are granted I will have kept this under two cases. Ominously given how seductive Morgan's wines are my pre-wishlist post-shipping total was $666
David Tietz

Jake Rubash

Bedrock Spring Release?

#92 Post by Jake Rubash » February 29th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Got my wish granted for some Lulu mags and the Ancient Vine Syrah!

ky1em!ttskus

Bedrock Spring Release?

#93 Post by ky1em!ttskus » February 29th, 2016, 2:47 pm

When does the waitlist offer open?

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#94 Post by Alan Eden » February 29th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Much as i love Bedrock i really cant see the need for mags of Rose
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

awilliamson4

Bedrock Spring Release?

#95 Post by awilliamson4 » February 29th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Anyone have their wishlists addressed yet.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#96 Post by Alan Eden » February 29th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I have been charged for wish list items this afternoon
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Jake Rubash

Bedrock Spring Release?

#97 Post by Jake Rubash » February 29th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Alan Eden wrote:Much as i love Bedrock i really cant see the need for mags of Rose
Trying to become a better hosting household for friends that don't drink much wine. I figured Rose wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand for the spring.

robkim

Bedrock Spring Release?

#98 Post by robkim » February 29th, 2016, 3:10 pm

Received my wishlist request for rose and OV mags (only asked for one OV mag, probably a mistake, but you have to draw the line somewhere).

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#99 Post by Rich Brown » February 29th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Got my full wish-list request- thanks Morgan and Chris!

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bedrock Spring Release?

#100 Post by Alan Eden » February 29th, 2016, 3:15 pm

With only 210 OV mags bottled i doubt that anyone got more than one

Return to “Wine Talk”