Trujillo Wine

Any feedback on their cabernet? Just received an offer for '13 and I’ve never had it. I know the owner was part of Karl Lawrence previously. Seems pretty reasonable at $75. Limited notes on CT, but the two on their are good. Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

We really like Mike’s wines. He is the winemaker for Herb Lamb, Karl Lawrence and Sequoia Grove. At $75 a bottle it is very reasonable for the quality of the wine.

I had this wine a couple of weeks ago from a 375. It was smooth and silky with great dark fruit and a round balanced mouthfeel. I bought a case.

Good to hear. Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

I thought he wasn’t the winemaker for the new Karl Lawrence? I loved the wines he made there previously.

Michael is NOT the winemaker for the new Karl Lawrence.

The first time I met Michael was at the LMU tasting many years ago when he was the head wine maker for Karl Lawrence. I loved his wines! Since then, he has left Karl Lawrence and started his own label with his wife Terry named Trujillo Wines. He is still making wines for Herb Lamb and Sequoia Grove. From my experience, Mike has never disappointed me by making classic age worthy Napa Cabs. [cheers.gif]

Re: the new Karl Lawrence

Mike is using the exact same fruit sources (according to Terri) on Trujillo that he used for the old KL, so lovers of that wine should jump on board here.
No affiliation, just a fan of the old KL. Very glad I found this new wine.

Tasted the wines recently at LMU and was very impressed. I have always liked Mike’s style and am a big fan of the wines he makes at HL and the wines he made at KL.

Cheers!
Marshall

Tasted the wines recently at LMU and was very impressed. I have always liked Mike’s style and am a big fan of the wines he makes at HL and the wines he made at KL.

Cheers!
Marshall :wink:

Nice to see some new folks posting. I will pick this up this year at some point to try. A recent 2006 KL was sublime. Love these style of Napa cabs.

cheers

Marshall is the LMU tasting a good event? I am a graduate. Who knew?

My problem with Trujillo (for personal buying purposes only) is that that pricing is much higher than Karl Lawrence used to be.

This is not a claim that they should charge less than they can get for the wine, just that it’s priced itself out of my personal comfort zone. Big difference between $75 and $45

For those of you who like funk, this has a lot. In fact, at a wine dinner this summer with Mike and Terri, we had the whole lineup of his wines. The Madelyn was much better and a lower price. The Cab was bretty to me.

Echo other posts here. The Madelyn is also worth trying. Good QPR.

We tasted the current line up this wknd and purchased some of the 13 Cab. We heard the same from Terri that it is the exact fruit sources that KL used. Mike stopped by while we were there and said stay tuned as SVD’s are in the pipeline and he was quite excited about the future. These definitely fall into the classical style of Napa and were quite good if you enjoy that style.

Terri also has a list of older KL wines that are available for sale. Ping her if your interested.

cheers

I opened a bottle of the 2011 Trujillo which is 92% cab and 8% petite verdot and merlot. Immediately the room filled with aromas of dark fruit, spice, and a dusty cocoa. Those flavors continue on to the palate where we found a balance and elegant wine. It was medium bodied with a medium finish. Delightful wine that paired beautifully with all our meals which included duck and sea bass. We were sorry we did not have a second bottle with us.

I wish his cab price was closer to his Karl Lawrence cab prices…

Pete- great note and welcome to the board. The 13 we tasted was very similiar but had a decent amount of weight and was a bit tight which was no surprise. I’ll put mine away for 5 years or so.

Bud- I hear ya but unfortunately in the new world of Napa pricing this one is probably in the realm of reality though the 14 Myriad Napa i tasted is a better qpr for sure.

The Trujillo tasting room is now open at 661 Main in St Helena. It is open from 10 to 5, and the tasting fee is $25 for all four wines in the current portfolio. They can accommodate 20 tastings per day by appointment and there is alot of parking around back. There are very comfortable seats in a room that is tastfully decorated in pleasant earth tones. The staff is very helpful. We liked the rose enough to buy a case. The Madelynne red blend was very nice.