What bottle of Sine Qua Non should I open for the Superbowl?

With all the annoying threads about PC, Gil Lempert Schwartz, Rudy, Alice Feiring’s porch, Galloni’s Clos du Val score and Caymus 40th Anniversary, I thought I would start a completely harmless and noncontroversial thread. newhere

I have not been on the list for very long, so I only have bottles back to the 2009 Eleven Confessions Syrah and Grenache. After considering Alfert’s depressing thread about getting old, since he’s 14 years younger than I, I decided to open a bottle for THE GAME. I will smoke three racks of ribs with a dry rub. I may make some chicken satays for appetizers to eat with a Donhoff GG first. I’ll probably open a Saxum as well because my son is home and he likes those.

So what SQN should I open with the ribs?

LOL. I’m, not sure what’s more depressing, my catching up to you in old age disease or drinking SQN during football, or indeed, at any time! :wink:. It makes sense though, given the palate shutdown you are likely experiencing at 64. Now the Donnhoff, I’d be all over that.

Speaking of BBQ sauce, every time I drink a Bedrock Syrah I think about BBQ sauce. You may have just propelled me to bring a Bedrock Syrah, in addition to some Zins, to the party I am attending.

And for the record, it was Old Man Rath’s depressing thread, I just chimed in to bring you guys down! :wink:

Post pics of those bottles, by the way.

2010 five shooter grenache
gorgeous and relatively ready to go

I’d hit either bottle of 2009 Syrah
With that meal plan I think a solid syrah would match up beautifully
No matter what you choose hard to go wrong
Enjoy!!

Welcome newbie. Good to see someone willing to drink good generously flavored wine when appropriate. I. Wondering whether the. Grenache may be more approachable now, but I agree that you can’t go wrong.

Cant go wrong either way!

Personally I will be opening the white Resiste before I move on to the red.
Enjoy!

I actually tried a Resiste this past week to figure out when (if?) I might want to drink these. I found it clumsy on day one, better on day two. Decant would be my recommendation. My wife, who generally claims to hate SQN’s wines (she’s had limited exposure and this was her first white) thought it was “pretty good”. Go figure.

To Jay’s question, your bold flavors on the ribs will make any answer right. I’d cruise recent tasting notes on CellarTracker and pick the offering you have that seems to have the best recent experiences reported.

Cheers,
fred

After reading a few notes here saying it was fabulous right now I took 1 out to try and put the others in storage. I will take your advice and decant. Thanks!

Btw my wife enjoys SQN. Lucky me.

My younger son likes the SQN whites. We opened In the Abstract and And an Eight Track at his wedding. Both delicious.

Jay- the Stein is really good. Would be awesome with the ribs!

Agree on the Stein comment - perfect ribs pairing - just decanting it before the pre-dawn SuperBowl Pregame shows.

Will be interested in your thoughts on Resiste. I’ve had two bottles recently - lots of variance between the two.

I think you should open up a bottle of 1979 Boones Farm Strawberry Hill.

If you are going to sauce your ribs, I wouldn’t drink any bottle of Sine Qua Non red wine with them.

17th Nail in Cranium, since Seahawks didn’t make it.

Light sauce only while on the grill at the end to give it a slightly enhanced flavor and crisp it up.

Then I’d drink the oldest ‘regular’ bottle of Grenache that you own.

Hope the game is better than the wine you plan to open. [smileyvault-ban.gif] neener

1968 “Jets Win” Syrah? [cheers.gif] [berserker.gif]

Haven’t drank too many lately but 2010 Five Shooter Grenache really wowed me a few weeks ago and was firing on all cylinders.

Jay - if you have 2009 Upside Down and 2009 Thrill Of… Open those as they’re both drinking very well right now