At what age will/did you stop buying new release wines?

I’ll stop buying new release age-worthy wines at

• Never

0 voters

Having hit a significant milestone in age, I’ve been thinking even more about my buying patterns. I have quite a bit of wine already, much of it still in need of many years to reach proper drinking age. I’ll certainly continue to buy some wines that are enjoyable on the younger side (daily whites, for example). I’ll never buy another bottle of young Bordeaux or Barolo. And I’m cutting back significantly on purchases of new release Burgundy and Rhone wines.

Frankly, I wish I had put more thought into this 20-30 years ago. I would have a very different cellar today: one with fewer total bottles, but a higher percentage of “better” wines, coming into their staggered drinking windows.

Time is precious, don’t use it unwisely.

So what’s your cut-off age for significant purchases of young wines that need many years of cellar time?

I just hit 50. I set this year as my final year buying age-worthy Bordeaux from quality vintages. The 2014 vintage - I bought a fair bit - could be my last, though I said that about 2010, too. For anything that really takes 20 years to mature, I’m far better off backfilling.

For Northern Rhones and the so-called Rule of 15, I guess 55 will be my cut-off. New releases for my other beloved regions, Chinon and Beaujolais, can continue for quite a few years, even though admittedly some show better with age.

Point is, I’m there or very close. As I reflect on my current “cellar” it is far too young as is.

I went through age-worthy AND special occasion wines, and determined I probably have enough now until I die.

Wow…I really cannot understand the question itself but especially Robert’s answer (which is highly respected, of course)…this would feel like giving up my life at a very early stage…but why doing this???

JFYI I’m slightly younger than Robert. I know 2 serious wine collectors/lovers both over 80 now (one is 81, one is 83) and beside the fact that they are quite fit they enjoy great wines from their cellar every day and both still buying wines…and honestly, why not? I’m sure both will enjoy wines still in their 90s.

You have to consider that an 80 y.o. man 20 or 30 years ago cannot be compared at all with an 80 y.o. man in 20 or 30 years. Our optimized, balanced nutrition, highly advanced medicine, far better work-/life-balance is the reason for this. My grandma got an artificial hip 2 years ago…at age 84!

As I said, I highly respect every opinion but as a true wine lover I will never stop buying wines for my cellar.

As a side note: because of my business I’m travelling heavily…around 180-200 flights per year. Plus: I have a quite fast sports car. Just these two things makes my life far more risky than the life of my 86 y.o. grandma…but this doesn’t hold me up to do what I want.

I’m really looking forward to see other replies to this thread but I’m sorry…no vote at all from my side [cheers.gif]

Jens, perfectly valid point. Some people will never stop buying (I know at least one person like that here, who was still buying into his 90s). I’ve added a “Never” option for you and others who are as optimistic as you :slight_smile:

Oops, didn’t realize that would wipe out the earlier poll entries, sorry folks.

I will stop when I feel pretty certain about the timing of my demise. I would require a short term terminal diagnosis to shut it down.

[cheers.gif]

Ok, voted now…although “NEVER EVER” would have been more accurate [cheers.gif]

I really wanted to be pragmatic but couldn’t muster it up.

I said 60 but maybe even 65 if I am healthy. I don’t mind young wines and while they may be better with age, I still enjoy tasting them for what they are at that moment.

I turned 60 a year ago. One of the things I did was cut my standing order for Monte Bello futures in half. I should probably cut it further, but one step at a time … I dropped Dunn a few years ago, even with the supposed change in style. I still buy other CA Cabs, but my drinking window is shorter for them. I’m also dialing back on CA Pinots. I bought too much Pinot from too many lists over the last 10-12 years and now I find my cellar is out of balance, with maybe a decade’s worth at our current consumption rate if I stop buying now.

Other than the quantity of Pinot, I’m generally happy with our cellar. Obviously, I should have bought more 1st growths and DRC thirty years ago, but that would have created other problems. We regularly drink Cabs, as well as the occasional Pinot and Chard, from the 70s and 80s (bought on release) and enjoy them, along with more recent purchases.

I’m still buying and still trying new producers and new regions, and hope to continue for as long as I can !

At 55 I’ve stopped buying current release Burgundy and Bordeaux.

I suggest adding, “When they yank the computer ordering mouse from my cold, dead hand,” or later.

champagne.gif

I plan on keeping my mailing lists spots living on via my chillens.

I’m 55.
No more Bordeaux,
No more Northern Rhone.
Just a little more Burgundy
Just a little more Piedmont
Just a little more CA.
And that’s it.

I’m 47. I voted never, but what I really mean by that is that I like young wine (in addition to aged wine). Hard to believe that if I’m in good health at 80+ I wouldn’t still be buying Cali Pinot or something like that. Things could change of course based on health, money, taste, etc., but that’s my best guess for now.

At 71 I feel that the answer should be one aging time before I die. Since aging times vary, and I don’t know when I will cast off this mortal coil, the answer has to be never.

I’m only 70, but this is a reasonable response and the reason for my never vote.

New vintages amount for 90% of my total wine buying. I may dip backwards a few given the opportunity but its rare. If I had something awesome like that Joseph Swas lastonth it goes pn y radar. It was a 2007.
My overall buying has slowed and its still a work in progress…

Over 10 years ago I decided 55 would be the cutoff. I am sticking to that plan. So I have 6 more years of buying like I will live forever.

David, for trying to understand your decision (which is obviously completely opposite to mine) better may I ask you two questions:

• what was the reason to decide at a relatively young age of 39 if and when to stop buying wines?
  • why at age 55?

I’m 69 soon to be 70. Have more wine than I’ll ever drink. Sold of 15 recently. Last Bordeaux vintage of any quantity was 05 and Rhone was 07. Buying now mostly sparklers which my wife drinks to the exclusion of everything else and a few odd bottles of things that interest me. Last two purchases were Lopez de Heredia Rosado and some Coulée de Serrant, both of which I love. So I guess I’m done, although I might go for some 09 and 10 Bordeaux if the price is right. Hope to get to drink the wines I have, but one never knows, since in the past week alone I lost 3 people about my age who I knew well.