TN: 14' Eyrie Pinot Gris Original vines

TN: 14’ Eyrie Pinot Gris Original vines- This is a little darker than I would expect, gold from core to rim. The nose is all Pinot Gris, peach, pear and orchard fruit, intense and singular, really rich and intense perfume. The palate has great acid cut with peaches and pears growing into slate and chalk.

To me this is the essence of Pinot Gris, it’s larger scaled with glycerin on the palate but lithe with good acid. I can see this aging like the best Alsace PG’s and has a ton of room to grow into itself.

I can’t tell you that I love this wine, but I was blown away by how Pinot Gris this wine actually is, I can’t wait to see this in 15 years.

If anyone is looking for a benchmark Oregon PG, buy a bottle to see where the wines can go.

Disclaimer: I sell this wine, seeing as we got 36 bottles and are now sold out, there is no financial incentive for me to pimp this wine.

Miss selling these guys…all the wines are great, and white or red all seem to age better than most of their peers. Finally drank my 2003 David Lett Pinot South Block a couple years ago to commemorate his accomplishments and passing. Never would have guessed 2003.

Those boys continue in their benchmark style.

And Kris, I didn’t know that you knew how to sell wine.

Somewhat uncalled for.

Yet accurate.

Agree this is consistently a special bottling. There is a particular herbal /spice signature to this wine that I have trouble pinning down.

Nice to have a source for Pinot Gris made in this style outside of Alsace, a region to which climate change has not, to my mind, been kind.

As for Eyrie longevity, the 1985 Pinot Noir South Block I tasted last year was one of the best North American Pinot Noirs I have ever encountered.