Good, cheap Pinot suggestions

One of my colleagues asked me to recommend some good, fairly readily available Pinot noirs in the $15-20 range. Before I slapped him, tossed my head back haughtily and said, “I don’t drink that peasant swill!” I said I would check and give him some suggestions. :slight_smile:

He tends towards RRV ripeness, but I’d love to swing him a little leaner. I know a hundred in the $30-40 range but couldn’t really think of much cheaper. Help!

ABC

Stop. Close this thread down right after I tell you this.
Biggio Hamina right now for $19.99 at WineLibrary.

Still waiting for more? Look for Sandler’s Bien Nacido!!

That’s TWO amazing wines I hast gave you. TWO!!!

Agreed, ABC (Au Bon Climat)

International options might be, Ritual (Chile) Indomita Duette (Chile), Iona Mr. P (SA), and Wanaka Road (NZ). More readily available domestic pinot options might be Au Bon Climat’s Santa Barbara Pinot, Rickshaw, Banshee (might be slightly over $20) and A to Z. You may also be able to find Evesham Wood at that price, but it’s less likely.

Thirded for ABC, and for that matter any of JC’s labels. If you’re local-ish, join the wine club and stock up at the spring/fall open house. I forget but I think I got 25% off buying 2+ cases last spring and that included some Isabelle and Knox that both worked out to low 30s/bottle IIRC.

Yea there are better Pinots out there but his are just so damn consistent and even the lesser ones are decent.

Great Oregon Wine Company - Rascal
$75/case on Berserker Day

Stark-Condé Pinot Noir Pepin (South Africa, Cape South Coast, Elgin)

Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir (USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley)

Joseph Drouhin Rully (France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Rully)

Michael

A by Acacia can be found for around $12-13 and is good bang for the buck.
Au Bon Climat is always solid, but lans more AFWE.

I had the 2013 Shooting Star (Steele winery, $12.99) and thought “wow, that tastes like Pinot Noir”. That’s heady praise for me.

With the 2012 and 2013 vintages being so good - there is a ton of good Pinot Noir out there being discounted. From both Oregon and California.

AU BON CLIMAT - 2014 is current vintage, a little tight but nice fruit and will be really good in a couple months. In the $20 - $22 range.

HAHN - Their regular bottling is around $12-$14 and really good, their SLH from 2012 and 2013 are terrific and close to $20.00 - and these can be found everywhere.

CASTLE ROCK - They bottle about 6-8 Pinots a year from various sites - and at least 1-2 every year are pretty good - just have to go through them to see - and they are in the $12 range.

FOSSIL POINT - A new label from Edna Valley, should be pretty readily available nationally. The '13 is really good and around $16 a bottle.

GRAYSON CELLARS - Another really consistent label, in the $13-$14 range and pretty as hell.

Check out JK Carriere, Oregon producer that would be a leaner style.

Check out Berserker Day offers in a few day. I think I know a winery that may have something for you. Just sayin’…

Siduri Sonoma County. And look at Brian Loring’s post above…Loring Wine Company is always great value and sounds like there’s a $20ish or lower option coming.

Is it because of earthquake concerns that the barrels are no longer stacked vertically?

Patty Green makes a bottle called Dollar bills only

Thanks all. I already hinted he should join WB and check out BD. I’ve found a lot of great wines that way.

Sandler. Maysara.

If you are not stuck on CA only I just had the following at a tasting at my local wine shop: Vincent Girardin Bourgogne Rouge Cuvee Saint-Vincent 2013. I really liked this and I’m not a big Pinot drinker. I think at case prices you can definitely get it under $20, particularly if you are looking to expose your friend to other styles.

Agreed. That Brian guy can sure make wine.
:slight_smile: