Let's post notes on BerserkerDay Wines from now until Jan 27!

Hey folks, most of us have some BerserkerDay wines, and let’s post some notes, perhaps on this thread, to help inform others of what they might be buying, once Jan 27 rolls around (9 days!!!)

This is for wines we’ve purchased in past BerserkerDays? Not for what might be offered?

I don’t have a formal note, but over the holidays I had a chance to drink a bottle from the case of Wilde Farm Rosé that I purchased on BD VI for my folks as a birthday/anniversary gift. I thought it was delicious, with ripe berry fruit and good depth.

For any new person wondering about the day: I have never had a bad wine or bad experience from taking part in Berserker Day.

You can buy special stuff from wineries you know, or take the plunge and sample something entirely new! definitely a day worthy of ‘gambling’ on a new experience!

The winery people are usually regular participants here and the wines they offer make it fun to watch their points of view on the forums - it puts a face with the name, so to speak!

Just had this last night with a grilled rib-eye.

• 2003 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (1/17/2016)
    PnP and the wine was tasting great right out of the bottle. The nose was very expressive with notes of dark fruit and earthy notes. Open on the palate, but gave it a toss in the decanter and the wine was just awesome. This wine was in a good spot and got better over the next couple of hours. Dana called dibs on the remaining third of the bottle and enjoyed this a lot.

Posted from CellarTracker

Given that I predominantly buy old-world wines, I used BD last year to explore some new wineries. I won’t go through all of them, but my biggest revelation was Cowan Cellars. Super-drinkable, distinctive wines at true-bargain prices.

Correct - wines you purchased on BerserkerDay that will help others choose wines to purchase on THIS BerserkerDay

Wouldn’t we have to know what’s being offered first?

Not if we purchased last year. Post your Briceland notes here. Good notes.

So past BD purchases go here on the assumption they will be offered here in some form or fashion…got it.

I’ll get cracking on this later today/tomorrow.

The Briceland has been decanted. Back in 30 . . . .

Some funny looking dude left it at my house Saturday night.

Yes, since every winery who has had an offer on BerserkerDay has essentially participated again, year after year…

Have to be a fool not to. BD is fantastic and lots of fun. It might be the best thing to happen in January for the wine community ever!

Ok Andrew, get off the thread. I don’t know you and don’t wanna hurt your feelings. I find it odd, too, that you and Corey are buddies.

This wine is excellent.

Sorry. Isn’t it odd that anyone is buddies with Corey? [snort.gif]

I’ll go now.

2012 Briceland Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Ishi Pishi Ranch

I don’t know anything about this Humboldt County winery that has been in existence since 1985, but my first date has made me eager for a second.

The beauty of tasting an unknown wine is that you have zero preconceived notions about its quality. Tabula Rasa.

Translucent purple color. Cool menthol and red and black cherries on the nose, underscored with a hint of smoke. Cool climate, low alcohol. Medium weight on the palate, still primary and a little one-dimensional, but love the purity and tangy quality of the red fruits and the evolving darks. Not sure what else this will show with age, but it’s drinking really well right now. A little herbaceousness comes out with some coaxing, almost a nice little green spline. Crisp, short finish, tannins evolving. A European profile, classic in structure.

Reminds me a bit of Cabot’s Confluence with its cool climate Cabernet vibe, but the Confluence has a touch more complexity provided by the blending. I’m pretty sure this wine is 100% Cabernet.

Curious to know, now, what this costs.

(90-91+ pts.)

EMH Black Cat Cabernet.
Without Berserker Day I may never have tried this lovely wine. Went in last year for an '08/'10/'12 three pack. Eventually also bought some of Merrill’s Special Selection edition as well.
She will be number on my hit list this year as well.

Well, wudda coincidence. Just opened a Cabot Syrah '07, BDay '11 purchase (wow it’s been 5 years–how time does fly!). Getting very very nice–I’ll post a real TN later, but this is cool climate Syrah, with lovely mouthfilling resonances and leathery/bacony notes.

Otherwise I have had various Veleta wines, many bought on BDays. Have yet to be disappointed, and some of them are beyond good (just search Veleta and my name if you want to know more).

Currently on day two of the 2013 Briceland Humbolt County Pinot. yesterday, double decanted and open at least 5 hours in the decanter. This wine is still going strong after being stored back in the bottle over night. Herbal and earthy with red fruit backing it up. Long subtle finish. A bit of cedar on day two, and still the lovely fruit persists. Very balanced and lithe

The 2011 Liquid Farm White Hill Chardonnay rocked my world, so I bought a big pile of the 2012 at Berserker Day 25. I opened one every few months over the past 2 years, finally popping the last of the bunch this past Thanksgiving. Somewhere along the way, I had decided this vintage was a bit too blowzy for my taste and started opening them for my “rich Cali chard” friends. But time was very good to this last bottle…the oak I had earlier noted had integrated a good bit, some of the tropicals had receded and met the salinity in the middle, and a rich mouthfeel and plenty of acid remained. Boy was this solid, setting me up nicely to happily join in the coming festival of “group think”. :astonished: