Question re Krug Vintage Champagne release price

We will see the official release of 2002 Krug very soon and I’ like to buy a case or to. I was wondering if the very first release always had the lowest release price? I guess so but just wanted to double check with some who had better experience.

Until the 96. If under $300, not a bad buy, sub $250, a great buy if gets rated 98 or higher.

Rated 98 by?

Ratings? Oh yeah, those things that drive prices with people who can’t think for themselves.

For the past few Krug releases I’ve gotten better (or at least equal) pricing as time went on, but those were hardly as anticipated as the '02. As everyone knows the release price from the house isn’t public yet, but everything I’ve heard from (several) pretty good sources indicates that the price is going to be a lot closer to current pricing than I would have predicted… if accurate I doubt it stays there.

If you look at Salon 02 as a measure, I saw bargains as time went on. I think their’s an inital rush to grab the wine up. But if you compare it to the 96 which I recently paid just over $400 for a re release $350 is no bargain and I really don’t see it moving higher in the beginning. Of course I could be wrong.

First wave is going to be tiny.

Second Wave is in May

There are actually 3 waves. Feb(small) ,May and then Sept.

No surprise that there will be a price increase after the first wave… Don’t let the tiny wave get you too hyped up. There will be plenty around

Envoyer is offering 02 Krug for $350. I’m tempted, but it’s a bit outside of my comfort zone.

Caveat emptor no-one has had their allocations confirmed yet.

Premier Krug!!! :wink:

I just got my Envoyer email, too. The little bit of Krug that others have been kind enough to share with me, I have seen the quality and been impressed. But $350 a bottle…man, that is a lot of money for wine. I just have a hard time playing in that space but good for others who can.

They make several disgorgements of Salon, and most would tell you the first is always the best, hence why subsequent releases languish a bit.

Ah ok. Makes sense I guess.

The issue with the 02 Salon is that it is not at the level of the 96, IMO. At $300+ there is no real reason to chase. This is one of the reasons why you have to weight in the critics rating, ie the 02 Salon didn’t get near perfect ratings.

May be but you will not be able to try before buying. Beside if I am buying a case of wine for $5k, I need to make sure that it is a good buy financially. The 96 Krug is drinking incredibly well and trades around $350.

Kevin,

Actually, comparing apples to apples, the most common US critics scored the 02 Salon essentially equal or higher than the 96. No idea why as the 96 is a far superior wine. As to pricing, I am in agreement with you; the 2002 has also ended being sold for well below $300 on occasion; it hasn’t moved nearly as well as the 96 or its scores would leave you to believe. The 96 did nothing but rise in price.

From what I could easily track down:

Wine Spectator

• 1996: 95
  • 2002: 98

Wine Enthusiast

• 1996: 97
  • 2002: 100

Vinous

• 1996: 97+
  • 2002: 96-97+

IWC:
-1996: 95
-2002: 95

Suckling:
-2002: 99

Wine Advocate:

• 1996: 97

See there is the difference. No way I am dropping $5K on a case of wine. Glad you can swing it.

David,
Jens stated a case in the OP.

I somehow thought Antonio favored the 96 but it appears as 97-95 vs 96-95 per vinous website. I dont think enthusiast, WS and suckling matters much especially in high end Champagne. For my palate, the 96 Salon is far superior to the 02. I slightly prefer the 99 which has exceptional concentration but very ripe to the 02. BTW have you had the 02 Krug?

Kevin,

I’m with you on the 2002 Salon. I prefer the 96, 99, and 97 in that order over the 02 with the 99 and 97 being slightly better and the 96 being a far, far better wine.

As to the 02 Krug, I haven’t tasted it yet. First pours of it in the US are this week.