Stillman Brown aka "The King" of Zeppelin Wine

I was reading Mr Charles Sullivan’s old Guide to California Wines dictionary, and stumbled on some extra information about the Santa Clara area. Went to Google, and discovered the unique, creative beast that is Mr Stillman Brown.

Originally the winemaker for Jory Winery, apparently famous for its “Thief” satirical newsletters, Mr Brown now works with Gill Winery’s fruit, and estate-grown grapes, for Zeppelin Winery. His Syrah, Alicante/Zin Blend, and others (including a white or two) all bear funny labels. Stillman Brown, aka “The King”, sings in a punk/reggae Led Zep cover band. Rumors abound that he was first to cite the CdP “anti-alien ship” decree.

I received a couple of rapid response emails from him late last night and early today. He is very polite and knows his stuff. Everything I read online led me to expect a total lunatic!

Anyone have personal anecdotes or tasting experiences of Mr Stillman Brown’s wines?

Holy cow!

I have met the guy and chatted, but didn’t know about the wine! Dang!

I was visiting So Cal to visit Tortelvis and got to meet Swilly Idle. We talked of black velvet painting memes, ceramic mugs, falernum, and other silliness.

He was exceedingly nice! I was nobody basking in Tortelvis’ glow and Swilly was a prince! If I ever hit the damned Lotto and open my mid-century non-ironic modern futuristic primitivistic tropical pagan Tiki bar, Dread Zeppellin and Swilly Idle’s band are gonna be my headliners!

I am going to go find his wines!

Thanks for posting this!

Anton, I love the story! He seems to be unmistakably unique!

The wines are supposed to be darn tasty too.

Wow. Dread Zeppelin. That’s a blast from my punkish past. Had no idea the vocalist was a wine guy. That’s cool.

Stillman is in a different band, but similar ethos.

Most of his wines are very high octane. Some I’ve enjoyed and others less so. Of course ymmv.

I’ve tasted with Swilly and have bottles of his in my cellar currently. His tasting room was in the back of an antiques shop. He moved, though, and I haven’t been by since.

He’s one strange, awesome, super fun cat. And his wine is right in my wheelhouse. AFWE need not apply.

Uhhhhhhh…does a bear…
I have, of course, followed Stillman from the very start. He is the son-in-law of DanLewis. He & Dan founded JoryWnry to make wines in Calif/CentralCoast. Actually, it was RandallGrahm/BonnyDoon who was first to cite the CdP anti-alien ship decree on his CigarVolante label. Stillman & Dan made up the RedZeppelin label, a red Rhone blend, to mock Randall and get his goat. Actually, Randall thought it pretty amusing. Originally, Jory was founded to make wines from NM grapes…but there just wern’t a whole lot available. I think Dan originally had a vnyd here in NM down near Dexter. But the soon dropped the idea of NM wines and focused out on the Calif Central Coast.
Stillman likes to project an image of a goof-ball and a nut and sorta a lunatic; but the guy, in fact, is very/very bright and a very competent winemaker.Wines a bit on the high-octane side, though.
Tom

I figured Tom Hill would know the scoop.

I have a good number of his wines in my cellar thanks to purchases from Wine.Woot. Go their website and you can read through his winery participation for the offers. He is a scream. But also a very knowledgeable wine maker.

On the Woot site? How do I find his info for previous offers?

Use the search feature and search for “zeppelin” or “Stillman.” The old threads should pop up.

Bought a mix 5-pack from “Swilly” and the bottles arrived yesterday. I had to use up one 6-pack spot for extra icepacks, as I live in Louisiana.

Stillman Brown Red Zeppelin Wines:

3 x “Murder Inc/Ink” Alicante Bouschet

1 x “Long Board Ambassador” Counoise

1 x “Cayuthulu” Ali Bou/Syrah/PS

FYI: Stillman Brown Zeppelin Winery Mixed Reds now up on Casemates