What Santa Barbara County/South Coast Wine Are You Drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Alex N

Re: What Santa Barbara County/South Coast Wine Are You Drinking?

#101 Post by Alex N » June 30th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Beckmen's Purisma Mountain (PMV) Grenache is always consistently great (over 90%+ grenache and the remaining syrah). Recently I've been loving Andrew Murray's co-fermented syrah/viognier . The Roasted Slope and Watch Hill have been stellar. An often non busy Sunday routine for me is to prep dinner, make the short drive up the coast through Gaviota and stop by a winery or two on the Foxen Trail, 246, Los Olivos etc, taste a few wines, buy a few bottles, head home, pop a bottle and start cooking dinner with a glass of SB county wine.
@13x N1ch•!z

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Mel Knox » July 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm

I've enjoyed two older Qupe Syrahs this year:
2002 Bien Nacido and 2005 Bien Nacido Hillside Reserve..the latter wine coulda won a Cote Rotie tasting...
ITB

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Michael Martin » July 3rd, 2019, 5:40 am

Mel Knox wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm
I've enjoyed two older Qupe Syrahs this year:
2002 Bien Nacido and 2005 Bien Nacido Hillside Reserve..the latter wine coulda won a Cote Rotie tasting...
Most Bien Nacido Syrahs that I have had with age on them are spectacular.

J. Rock

#104 Post by J. Rock » July 3rd, 2019, 12:04 pm

I had an absolutely wonderful visit to Dragonette's winery this weekend and liked their wines quite a bit. The Grimm's Bluff Sauvignon Blanc really stood out the most to me.

EDIT: Also, I had the pleasure of visiting Torrin this last weekend and their Bien Nacido and Solomon Hills Lagom Pinots REALLY impressed me (as did all of their wines).
Last edited by J. Rock on July 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J o r d a n

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#105 Post by larry schaffer » July 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

Jordan,

Let me know when you are up next. My TR is next door to Dragonettes, and btw, Grimm's Bluff is opening their own TR on the other side of me soon.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

J. Rock

#106 Post by J. Rock » July 3rd, 2019, 12:11 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm
Jordan,

Let me know when you are up next. My TR is next door to Dragonettes, and btw, Grimm's Bluff is opening their own TR on the other side of me soon.

Cheers.
Thanks, Larry! We'll be back in a few months I'm sure. We signed up for the list at Dragonette and a relative lives on a ranch in Los Alamos, so we have plenty of motivation to return. We'll see you next time!
J o r d a n

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Bryan Price » July 3rd, 2019, 9:33 pm

My wife and I joke we will retire in Santa Barbara once we are done raising kids in the rigors of Orange County. You can't beat the proximity to wine country and the fun atmosphere of downtown SB. Just popped a 2009 Arcadian Francesca. Burgundy Al described it best in his tasting note on CT:

"8/16/2018 - BURGUNDY AL WROTE:
Arcadian Visit and Tasting (Lompoc, CA): Popped and poured at Arcadian. Spent almost 3 years in barrel. Nicely floral start. Red berry throughout, on the slightly delicate side with soft tannins. Barrel selection from several riverbed vineyards, which have less calcium and typically present with softer tannins. So the good+ length is somewhat surprising and almost sneaky. Good now, but this will get more interesting and complex with 5+ years in the cellar."
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Michael Martin » July 5th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Motivated by a post in another thread we popped a 2012 Jaffurs’ Verna’s. Licorice, black raspberry and tapenade. Exquisite.

Arv R

#109 Post by Arv R » April 18th, 2020, 9:32 am

P Intag wrote:
January 14th, 2016, 1:34 pm
My wife and I were just up there for a quick weekend trip.
Lincourt:
Liked everything we tasted there. The unoaked 2013 "Steel" Chardonnay was interesting with a nice acidic edge. 2013 "Lindsay's" Pinot was very good and made in a less fruit forward style but with some noticeable oak - thought it should probably be laid down for a year or two. The most interesing wine was the 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon which showed a lot of true Cab character without a facade of oak and overextraction. Good value across their lineup.
I made cod in a panko crust last night, and with that, had a glass of the 2016 Lincourt 'Steel' Chardonnay [SRH]. It was a supermarket purchase but I thought it was solid, and delivered on expectations. I was waffling between this and a 14 Muscadet to go with the fish. It's light/medium bodied, showing good citrus fruit on the palate, and its feels richer than the lack of oak might imply. I love that its screwtop as well, and wish more producers would utilize that technology. Nice example when one is looking for a crisp non malo chard for a fish supper. It carries its abv very well.
R_@_0

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Bryan Price » April 18th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
May 2nd, 2016, 1:41 am
Now, to address the request of this thread, I have a significant amount of wines from ABC [and associated labels], Qupe, Whitcraft, Palmina and Brewer-Clifton, all of which I`m drinking on a relatively frequent basis.

To a lesser extent, I have Arcadian, Foxen, Babcock, Longoria, Jaffurs, Lato and Brander wines that are in the cellar and enjoyed from time to time.
Blake I had a 2016 Brewer Clifton PN recently and found it a bit too high alcohol, and I normally like my wines a bit "full throttle". Are you still buying these wines after the acquisition?
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#111 Post by larry schaffer » April 18th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Not Blake, but I get a sense that in this case, probably like Siduri it appears, not much has changed other than they have access to better fruit . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Blake Brown » April 18th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Bryan Price wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
Now, to address the request of this thread, I have a significant amount of wines from ABC [and associated labels], Qupe, Whitcraft, Palmina and Brewer-Clifton, all of which I`m drinking on a relatively frequent basis.

To a lesser extent, I have Arcadian, Foxen, Babcock, Longoria, Jaffurs, Lato and Brander wines that are in the cellar and enjoyed from time to time.
Blake I had a 2016 Brewer Clifton PN recently and found it a bit too high alcohol, and I normally like my wines a bit "full throttle". Are you still buying these wines after the acquisition?
Bryan, I should qualify my remarks about the SB Cty/ South Coast wines I have in that almost all except for ABC and Qupe were purchased many years ago and as respects Brewer-Clifton, I have wines from their first few years in business as I was a barrel subscriber and an early supporter of Greg and Steve.

My palate took a huge change about 2000 and I opted for more elegance and finesse and moved away from high alcohol, full blown, huge extracted wines and anything that seemed too harsh and abrupt for my tender palate. Sea Smoke was one of those I bought a lot of and then sold all I had at my cost {although I forgot to include taxes and shipping}.

So, I have not had more than a taste of a few B-C wines in the last few years that were made after about 2000, but on those occasions, I found they were just to big and somewhat hot. I have not had any recent releases.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Bryan Price » April 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 3:15 pm
Bryan Price wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Blake Brown wrote:

Thanks for the reply Blake. I've liked the Brewer-Clifton wines in the past but that was just an opinion from my recent tasting. I bet you could have sold those Sea Smoke wines for profit - I watch the prices on WineBid and they are usually 2x the wine allocation - but of course Sea Smoke is probably not as popular now as it was in the mid 2000s.
Bryan, I should qualify my remarks about the SB Cty/ South Coast wines I have in that almost all except for ABC and Qupe were purchased many years ago and as respects Brewer-Clifton, I have wines from their first few years in business as I was a barrel subscriber and an early supporter of Greg and Steve.

My palate took a huge change about 2000 and I opted for more elegance and finesse and moved away from high alcohol, full blown, huge extracted wines and anything that seemed too harsh and abrupt for my tender palate. Sea Smoke was one of those I bought a lot of and then sold all I had at my cost {although I forgot to include taxes and shipping}.

So, I have not had more than a taste of a few B-C wines in the last few years that were made after about 2000, but on those occasions, I found they were just to big and somewhat hot. I have not had any recent releases.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Mel Knox » April 19th, 2020, 11:00 am

Last week I opened a 2005 Clendenen Family 'Le BonClimat' Pinot..spectacular.
ITB

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Blake Brown » April 19th, 2020, 11:29 am

Mel Knox wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 11:00 am
Last week I opened a 2005 Clendenen Family 'Le BonClimat' Pinot..spectacular.
I would expect it to be the case Mel.

In the last week, we have opened 09` and 11` ABC Isabelle and they were in a great place with many years to evolve. While drinking the 09`, we were talking to Jim and I got a big hit of the pepper and spice that is so well know attributed to Bien Nacido fruit and shared that with him and he remarked that vintage got more than the usual BN fruit that is usually in the blend.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Mel Knox » April 22nd, 2020, 6:18 pm

Blake,

Jim is sending me a sampler case to help me with my self quarantining. I will have lots of notes to publish.
ITB

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Michael Martin » November 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm

2007 Longoria Alisos Vineyard Syrah.
Vintage over maker. Great wine.
A Winebid find.

Eric White

#118 Post by Eric White » November 21st, 2020, 5:51 pm

I've got a couple 2003 Clos Pepe Pinots on deck that I just dug out of the offsite :)

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#119 Post by Adam Frisch » November 22nd, 2020, 11:20 am

Was Tyler mentioned in this thread? Some of the best SBC wines.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Vince L.

#120 Post by Vince L. » November 22nd, 2020, 8:16 pm

Just had a Tyler La Rinconada and it was delicious.
Compared to Ceritas Trout Chardonnay and it was a tossup
l 3 r t

S. Rash

#121 Post by S. Rash » November 22nd, 2020, 9:31 pm

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah. One of my 2020 WOTY candidates. Balanced and elegant. I was Wowed!!
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

G. D y e r

#122 Post by G. D y e r » November 22nd, 2020, 10:34 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm
A Winebid find.
Had one of these 2 years ago on New Year's Eve--it was similarly excellent.

I have generally liked Longoria's reds, though their Syrah has been variable. The 2007 Alisos on release was balanced and structured, so definitely had potential that it fulfilled nicely.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Michael Martin » November 23rd, 2020, 6:00 am

G. D y e r wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 10:34 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm
A Winebid find.
Had one of these 2 years ago on New Year's Eve--it was similarly excellent.

I have generally liked Longoria's reds, though their Syrah has been variable. The 2007 Alisos on release was balanced and structured, so definitely had potential that it fulfilled nicely.
Agree. [cheers.gif]

Sharad S.

#124 Post by Sharad S. » November 23rd, 2020, 7:35 am

Jaffurs Syrah
Jaffurs Petite Sirah
Jaffurs Grenache
Pali Huntington Pinot
Pali Riviera Pinot
S. S h a r m a

BobMilton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by BobMilton » November 23rd, 2020, 8:44 am

A Tercero Cinsault - absolutely delicious. A light red that goes well with salads and fish and other lighter fare (just ordered 6 more!)

Jason Samansky

#126 Post by Jason Samansky » November 24th, 2020, 10:38 am

Stopleman's Syrah along with Zach Mesa's small lot selections. Both somewhat hard to find outside of the region.

jnbrown

#127 Post by jnbrown » November 24th, 2020, 12:45 pm

BobMilton wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 8:44 am
A Tercero Cinsault - absolutely delicious. A light red that goes well with salads and fish and other lighter fare (just ordered 6 more!)
This has become a regular for me although like it more during warmer weather.

Other wines from SBC:

Melville Estate Syrah

Once COVID is over plan to get up there and hit the tasting rooms, maybe next summer or fall if the vaccines work out.
Joel

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Michael Martin » November 29th, 2020, 5:27 pm

2015 Jaffurs Larner Syrah. Black raspberry, anise, pepper. Drinking well now.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by T Welch » November 29th, 2020, 6:03 pm

A Copain (I know, Sonoma County producer) 2006 James Berry Syrah popped last night was outstanding.
T*R*U*E*T*T

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#130 Post by larry schaffer » November 29th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 5:27 pm
2015 Jaffurs Larner Syrah. Black raspberry, anise, pepper. Drinking well now.
Love that site for syrah and that crew does a tremendous job!
Last edited by larry schaffer on November 29th, 2020, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

G. Bienstock

#131 Post by G. Bienstock » November 29th, 2020, 7:45 pm

2014 Steele Santa Barbara PN. Savory and developed, drinking well now.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Return to “Wine Talk”