A few days drinking and fishing

Three days drinking and fishing in the Marlborough Sounds:
Vino 030116.jpg
tarakihi.jpg
Vino 2 030116.jpg
attachment]

The fishing was the best we have had, big Blue Cod and the three Tarakihi in one catch, and the wines all very good. The La Tache superb as was the Krug which I think won out over the 96 Salon. Of the Les Clos I liked the unique 03 the best, with no hint of oxidation and still years ahead. Perhaps my top white wine was Roulot village showing that you do not need GC to produce greatness, it was up there with the Boillot Purcelles. In the reds second to the La Tache was the 02 Merode Corton - a stunner. The 08 Beze needed a day to open to show its best as did the Reignots. The 00 Marcarini Serra was all class and the Cogno also excellent.

No bottle bass?

Ron, just DRC :slight_smile:

Very nice Mike!

I could think of worse ways to spend my time.

Hope all is with you all.

Best,

Hi Mike, looks like you guys eat and drank well. what was the BPPPD? (-bottle per person per day)

Cheers Brodie

I never thought I needed new fishing buddies until I saw this thread. Looks like you had a great time!

This is different than Francois’ thread because you’are doing a simple phony “humble brag,” I take it?

I get it.

“Francois is showing off, whereas I am enjoying humble wines with friends.”

Funny!

Ironic, even.

To paraphrase you, “Sometimes, a few days fishing and drinking is a bad thing.”

:stuck_out_tongue:

Mike, what a great lineup! Which Sigalas was it? And oak or no oak? How was it?

Jeez Anton, take a chill pill and move on. You do not know what you are talking about.

Have you met Mike? Do you know what kind of cellar he has and what kinds of wine he routinely drinks? Of course you don’t. Talk about jumping to conclusions

Brodie,

Thanks, but no offense taken from Anton, quite funny. Thinking of bad things, I try not to change or wash for the three days I am down there, my body aroma, and fish guts and stuff. I think helps with the wine appreciation, I am not sure Francois would agree or approve…

The Bpppd I think was sitting at a little over four - three drinkers - me, cathy and andrew. Lunch and dinner wine was served. Lunch being the leftovers from the night before, 24hours opened helped the younger bottles.

I actually posted because I didn’t make the Jeffrey tasting, missing out on the Monfortinos Howard posted on, then Marc on the 82 Mouton, 99 Musigny and 00 Chave with another friend… I didn’t want my friends to think I was entirely missing out. I normally don’t post on these wines preferring to post on lesser wines…

Todd, all is good, are you still intending to come over, you would love the Sounds.

Peyton, the bach is remote and idyllic, a good friend owns it and I try and supply good wine to pay my way. I did not mention but we also had fresh scallops and smoked mussels before getting into the fish courses. Paua is also readily available but we did not try and get any this trip.

Jason, Sigalas Rabaud had no overt oak - very pure and much more power than I expected.

Cheers Mike

I want to go fishing with you! Fishing in these parts typically equates to cases of bad beer and hopefully fair amounts of decent whiskey if it is cold.

IMG_20150523_172252.jpg
Sunset from the bach over Tory Channel

Beautiful picture of the sunset, Mike! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the notes.

Thanks,
Ed

How can we judge which ones were legendary, when the puny photo resolution won’t let us inspect the vintages :wink:! Good work, and looks like you had fun.

Glorious, I haven’t spent time in there sounds since I was a kid. It’s such a amazing place, those wines wouldn’t have hurt the experience either.

And there you go flaunting your excess and bragging again!

Great notes, why not fish like this? Maybe if I did, I would fish more often!

Jason, nothing like filleting your own fish in preparation for dinner with a glass of La Tache on the go - much more humble than being in a three star restaurant buying off the list.

Brian, I don’t expect much has changed since then. Good news today in that commercial fishing looks to be kept out of the Sounds.

Rauno, great fun, you will need to check with Andrew and make the next extreme book club if you can

Sounds fantastic! I’ll be out fishing this Saturday morning at 5am when the temp is going to be -6f. Even beer turns to slush when you open them at that temp.