What bottle of Cayuse/No Girls/Horsepower did you open today?

Gentlemen,

Figured since there was a few other “What ________ did you open today?” that I’d add one for my favorite winery…Cayuse and its affiliates. Let us know what you opened and how it showed. Here are two recent notes from me to get this party started.

2012 Cayuse Widowmaker
Decanted for two hours. Very similar impression compared to my earlier bottle this summer. Paired very well with PPR (prime prime rib). Dark lush fruit but still just not quite enough cabernet-ness for me. 92pts

2011 Horsepower Tribe Vineyard Syrah
Popped and let sit in the glass for an hour or so while we ate apps and salads. Blockbuster right out of the gate with aromas of violets, basil, fennel, and dark cherry followed by hints of black pepper and olive in reserve. Medium-weight in the mouth revealing crushed blackberries, black olive, dark plum. Taut on the finish with an ever so light hint at some smooth tannins. Surprised it was so well integrated for its age but has the chutzpah to merit years of sleep. World class. 97pts

Great thread idea Jared… I also thought the 2011 Tribe that I had a few months back was drinking quite well. Unfortunately I was not as enamored with the 2012 Sur Echalas grenache that I opened on NYE… I rated it 94 as it is obviously well made stylistically, I just don’t know that it is for me.

• 2012 Horsepower Vineyards Grenache Sur Echalas Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (12/31/2015)
    This is an insanely complex wine, that I probably drank too young, but wanted to know if it was worth the tariff before committing to another three bottles from the upcoming release. Intense nose of smoke, peat, ash, barnyard and to my surprise a tinge of grapefruit. Super silky, medium frame with flavors of musky cherry, creosote, iron, and loads of other earthy, savory elements on the finish. Tannins were not obtrusive, and for my tastes it could’ve used a touch more acid to give a greater sense of “freshness”. This is one of the most interesting wines I’ve had in a long time, just not sure it is my cup of tea. (94 pts.)

2007 Camaspelo with potato soup and some wagyu hangar steak. Beautiful wine, best glass was the last as over 2 hours a lil funk joined the fruit. Velvet mouthfeel and silky tannins you would not mistake this as Bordeaux but it’s just a joy to drink. This is the last bottle from the 3-pack. Glorious in RIedel
Sommelier Bordeaux stems.

image.jpeg

Thought I would revive this a bit with two recent Cayuse tastings.

2003 Cayuse Syrah En Chamberlin. 96 points.
This is heaven. Just the nose, without a sip, jumps out with wonderful sweet flavors of dark fruits, burnt wood, olive brine, and who knows what else. This is what I love about Cayuse – you can just get lost in the nose. On the palate, some chocolate, brine, bacon, raw meat, and yes, so many other things. No bitterness. The “funk” is nicely integrated and not overpowering. And then back to the nose, where we now find bacon fat, tart red cherries. The palate starts to show some hints of green herbs underneath the delicious fruit, with almost coca cola like tartness making an appearance. The finish just expands and goes on. This is memorable.

2003 Cayuse Syrah Cailloux. 91 points
Not as amazing as the last bottle, and a bit less complex than the En Chamberlain from this past weekend. This started out with all of the wonderful complexity on the nose of a good Cayuse syrah. The palate was good, but there was a bitterness that snuck in from time to time. Sometimes this seemed amazing, other times a bit less so. Hard to rate, so I am taking an average of around 89 to 93.

Hey Glenn - I opened the last one of my 3-pack last weekend and it was the best bottle I had. Loved it! Also paired it with steak and it was a perfect match.

Yeah that wine is in a great place Sherri. Their Bordeaux wines need more bottle age than their Syrahs, but every Cayuse bottle benefits from aging.

Ron,

The 03 En Chamberlin sounds just like I remember it! I think the 03 and 05 have always been at the top of the list for me re: En Chamberlin. Thanks for sharing!

Doc,

Haven’t had many Camaspelos lately but that one really has me thinking about how good that bottle can be. It has always had the reputation as the “red-headed step-child” of the lineup, undeservedly so in my opinion. Love the Bordeaux varietals!!

Was it the 12 Camaspelo that wowed a recent April pick up event?

Drank the 10 Armada a few days ago and was floored by how good it was. Actually, floored is a bit of hyperbole because I knew it was going to be good. The 2010 vintage from Cayuse and No Girls is going to be regarded as one of the best, if not the best in due time. Love the structure that allows the fruit to be lifted.

This Armada was light-ruby red with aromas of cherries, sous bois, soy, and raspberry. Powerful wine without the overbearing oak, tannin, and ripe fruit that one would normally associate with"traditional" powerful wines. Medium bodied, the palate was loaded with zingy red fruit and just enough savoriness to impart its syrah-ness. Super long finish left me with the same conclusion I keep coming up with after drinking 2010 Cayuse…They are mother fu$#in’ good. 97pts.

Yes, it absolutely wowed. I remember the Camaspelo possessing tons of green in early vintages (01-05) which I think turned people off. It’s definitely hitting on all cylinders now it seems.

2012 Bionic Frog.

I think that is spot on. I think I had some 2002 and 2004, and found it too green to my liking. I dropped it from my allocation. Sounds like a revisit is in order. I don’t know of any locals that get the Bordeaux offerings.

I have to say that if I could only buy one wine from Cayuse, I think I would choose Armada. Every one I have opened so far has been amazing.

We opened an 06 Bionic Frog the other day (actually for the non-super bowl). It was amazingly complex, which was to be expected. My wife said what I was thinking, which was that it would be nice to have a bit more acid to lift the flavors a bit. It almost seemed too rich at times – though I will say it paired well with a boneless leg of lamb. I will be posting a tasting note on CT in the next few days (some wine is still in the bottle, so I am curious how it is today and perhaps tomorrow).

2009 Cayuse Syrah Bionic Frog - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (2/15/2016)

Decanted 6 hrs or so. Just further proof that as I seem to slowly pull away from loud, boisterous new world reds, Cayuse is the exception. Equal parts intrigue and full on hedonistic delight, this still clearly is worth the scratch. While not the most wild of Frog’s, this delivered on the merits of pure focus, poise, and steeled grip tenacity while still providing the trademark notes of blackberry, smoke, cured meats and the like. Still has years to go and clearly on a upward trajectory. yum. (95 points)

Dale,

Sounds like the Frog was brilliant as usual. Seems like you are implying that Cayuse wines are loud and boisterous? Care to elaborate?

If anyone has tasted the 2013 line up… I’d be interested to hear feedback. :slight_smile:

2012 HP Sur Echalas Syrah is all anyone could want. Not just cured meats and au jus but maybe some red fruit too. Loads of elegance and a sneaky long finish, touch of heat there too. The other two will see some bottle age.
image.jpeg

Doc,

Sounds delicious. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed each Horsepower wine I’ve had. While expensive, I think these wines offer something unique from the Cayuse/No Girls lineup that justifies the cost. Just my $.02.

Our only other home HP was the 11 Grenache and I think the bottle was slightly off, touch of spritz. This HP Syrah was exceptional.

Couples wines from the weekend…Decanted and drank while enjoying a terrific dinner at Seven Beef (best steak tartare I’ve ever had!).

2010 Cayuse En Chamberlin…Hitting on all cylinders. Smoky, lithe, restrained funkiness, umami, charcuterie, crushed raspberries and blackberries. Combination of aromas and flavors were in harmony, the ying and the yang perfect. Super long finish that left the inside of my mouth fully satisfied. When the rest of the dudes were arguing politics, I poured the remaining wine from the bottle into my glass. Suckas! 96pts.

2009 Cayuse Bionic Frog…A bit underwhelming. I argued that it might have been just a tad off. Everything just seemed slightly muted. Was the nose good? Yeah, but not as good as in the past. Did the wine taste good? Yeah, but just didn’t have that Frog pop I’m used to. I’ll chalk it up to that on this night, the Frog wasn’t at its best. 91pts.