Favorite Foillard Cuvee?

Which is your favorite Foillard “regular” cuvee

• Fleurie
  • Cote du Py
  • Cuvee Corcelette
  • Morgon
  • No favorite

0 voters

The discussion regarding Foillard got me thinking more about the wines than I have in a while. More specifically, thinking about which of their cuvees I prefer year-in, year-out. Interested to hear what everyone else thinks…(I chose to exclude their “3.14” cuvee from this vote, but a “super-cuvee” poll in the future could be fun).

I’ve always leaned towards the Corcelette myself, and, oddly, have been more disappointed than not with the Fleurie bottling. It has seemed to be the least consistent of the bunch - while I’ve had great bottles, I’ve also had a bunch of very boring bottles, too.

That left out, I logically picked the Cote du Py.

The 2009 3.14 that I had last week was extraordinary.

The classic Cote du Py.

I also chose CdP. But when Foillard’s Fleurie is on, it is tremendous.

The Cote du Py…

but for glou glou pleassure the Beaujolais Nouveau. The 2014 was special!!

Cdp is ridiculous

And to think that you used to tease me about drinking Beaujolais. I won’t disclose what rude things you said . . . . [wow.gif]

This is my camp.

All of them. NFG. Wouldn’t turn down any.

The Corcelette for me too, Matt. So stony and floral and energetic, time and again. The 2009 was just about the best Gamay I’ve ever had.

yeah, the 2009 Corcelette is an unbelievable wine. should have a long life, too. the structure has always been firm, the flavors deep and layered. at this point, it’s the wine of the vintage (from beaujolais…) for me. the 3.14 may outlive the Corcelette (and CdP for that matter) and some day reach a higher level, but it’s such a beast the last time i tried it.

[cheers.gif]

Côte du PY with a bit of age.
I drink Corcelette earlier, which I feel is ‘softer’.
Not enough experience with 3.14 - only one 2007, and comparatively I preferred the regular Côte du py at that time ( 1+ year ago)

How much age do you like to have on these (let’s say in a normal/ good vintage)?

What is a “normal” vintage? There have been some wild variations in the last 12-15 years.

I dare say that warrants its own poll! Wish I knew the answer to your question more concretely, but with only 2005 - present knowledge, I’d say I’m another 10+ vintages away from knowing what’s “normal”.

3.14 for sure.

I have had more outstanding bottles of Fleurie than the Corcelette, but I love both and will usually take any…

Fleurie like a boss.

I’ve had these wines (CdP, 3.14 and Corcelette) in several vintages, and I am not sure. 2005 with its ripeness allied with structure doesn’t seem typical. 2007 maybe? 2009 is too ripe, at least that what everyone says (probably too ripe to be “normal” but I do not think it’s objectively too ripe). 2010 maybe? In 2011 I have only had the Corcelette. That’s the extent of my real knowledge. I had some earlier vintages, but wasn’t all that interested in Beaujolais at the time, so they didn’t stick.

David -

I thought the 2009 3.14 showed way too ripe in its early stages, but it has really developed beautifully. Had it quite recently and was blown away. By comparison, the Lapierre super cuvée was too much for me. The 3.14 is gorgeous.

For those select Beaujolais that I buy, I have really leaned toward 2011 over 2009 and 2010.