TN: 1983 Château Margaux

1983 Château Margaux

This started out worrisome: Crumbled cork, totally closed bouquet, dull palate. But with air, the '83 Margaux is one of the most gorgeous bottles of Bordeaux I have had the pleasure of enjoying. The nose shows sexy Burgundian sous bois notes, followed by coffee, cassis, and cedar. Earth, red, and dark fruit on the palate, with great acidity that gives this wine a remarkable freshness. The texture is plush and sensual. This should remain a stellar wine for another decade. > (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I think the 83 Margaux is a better wine than the 82. Great note.

I had this about 1 year ago from half-bottle, and I was shocked at how young it seemed. It is classic.

Mr. Love has been drinking well lately!!!

[cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note Robert. How did you prep the wine? Decanted?

An all time Bordeaux favorite for me

Stood upright for several days and then double decanted back into the original bottle about two hours before consumption. Also filtered through a cheesecloth (all we had) as the cork was a mess.

Agreed. This wine was a steal on release…bought a case and have picked up more odd bottles since. Now staring at that last remaining bottle my cellar. When I drink that last bottle, it will be like saying goodbye to a dear old friend…

Margaux had a great run in the 80’s. 82, 83, 85, and 88 are all sublime.

A great wine. I am opening a magnum next week at a dinner for 12 of us.

I would also add 1986 to Carlos’ list of great Margaux in the 80’s. Had a bottle for Christmas dinner with roasted goose in Zermatt. Both the wine and the goose were fantastic!

Great wine, and it (and the '83 Palmer) had always been undervalued vs other top Bordeaux of the 80’s… another bonus

Damn…love this tasting note…well done

Thank you (and everyone else) for the comments. It was a beautiful wine — I hope to have the pleasure of trying it again.

78,79 & 81 are very good to great as well. And a bottle of the 83 at St. Sylvester was simply Magnificent